1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

High intelligence in certain bloodlines

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by jr102770, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jr102770

jr102770 Pup

To me intelligence is a very important trait in a dog, i have had some pitbulls that werent intelligent at all.So that brings me to my question

Which bloodlines throw very intelligent dogs?with a high willingness to obey.

2. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

I was wondering about overall intelligence myself
    bump
    bump
    bump

3. LOL, if there was a bloodline that consistently threw "intelligence", most people would have that in their yards. Gameness, intelligence, wind, and ability are the essentials in breeding these dogs.

4. AncientKulcha

AncientKulcha Big Dog

So there's not one thats maybe a little smarter with a little less wind or as i've heard some redboy dogs described dumb game?

5. jr102770

jr102770 Pup

@ rocky : i believe you told me 2 blooldines of which were more intelligent but i cant recall which ones they were.care to enlighten me :)

@jbest : i have heard that from some breeders as well. i however had one redboy/jeep pup who was very smart,but i forgot what strains.

6. who

who Top Dog

the dumber they are the gamer they are........ a too smart of a dog will start "thinking" instead of "being" thats my opinion

7. clmr

clmr Big Dog

IMO the DOA Virgil stuff are way smarter than your average hound. They easily pick-up on your mannerisms and adapt to them. They excell at obedience training and new workout techniques too.

8. jr102770

jr102770 Pup

yea i have heard that several times before, but intelligence just my personal preference

to each his own i guess

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  9. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

From My personal experience dogs from the OFRN strain TEND to be very smart in what they do while they do it.... What to look for is EFFECTIVENESS if a dog is not effective he might be the hardest bitter, smartest, gamest, or whatever..... but if he is not EFFECTIVE with what he has then he is useless,,,, as a working dog.....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  10. clmr

clmr Big Dog

Red Cocaine, effectiveness? The majority of mine are VERY effective, but not all of them are highly intelligent.

11. Yard Boy

Yard Boy Big Dog

giggles

giggles

giggles

12. jr102770

jr102770 Pup

...................why giggles?

13. Yard Boy

Yard Boy Big Dog

jr102770....No offense to be taken. :confused:

I just see some things differently than others. I agree with you as to hearing that some strains are a lil more intelligent than others, BUT MYSELF, I never pay much attention to what lines are more intelligent as I am a firm beliver that a dog is only as good as one makes him.

When one first filters what they prefer out of each dog they fancy....And encompass that into our own breeding, then we will have accomplished what we OPINIONATINGLY see as superior. Follow me. My point is this....Animals reflect their surroundings.

I'll give you an example. I have a dog here... Tgh-n-Tndr Knnls "Phuka Blu" call name "Biddi". She is 27 pounds to date, and maybe the size of a 4 month old. I didn't like that in so much of the EXCESSIVE level she would go. Well, she gets here at my yard...And the atmosphere is wayyyy different. She is a loving girl. Still a fool! But not "acting" so hot anymore.

So that not so intelligent dog I picked up is now intelligent in MY OPINION as she knows that "acting" she is accustomed to IS NOT allowed here.

So, when I said giggles, it was not to downgrade you at all, and my apologies if taken that way. :o

I also have a dumb ass reverse blue brindle bitchl Dumb in the sense that she knows there is reprecussions. Reactions to her actions if you will! Yet, you take her out of hand, off a chain and place her by herself.....That dumb ass dog will be the most obediant dog there is.

14. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

OFRN are very intelligent dogs as well as the Virgil dogs from Gambler! Heard the same thing about Sorrells stuff and Patricks dogs!

YIS

15. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

A smart dog can be more effective.... but a effective dog isn't always a smart one, as you stated.... BUT which one do you think has the advantage? and a better question would be.... what does each of us call intelligence? I think the two go hand and hand..... Maybe we call the same thing by two different names... or maybe we call two different things by the same name...

How far does the rabbit hole go?

16. who

who Top Dog

to me effectivness is what a bloodline is known for.... they are family traits...... "smarts" to me is a dog that can problem solve...... cuz a person can look at one dog and see a blank stare and in another dog a person can see that it's thinking...... but in my opinion a dog doesn't need to think to much...... i guess i like a blank stare one track minded dog

17. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

A multi-dimensional dog with a one track mind

18. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

Some may not beleive this but it is very true. If I had to say the exact same thing, I would problay use a a word different than "dumber", lol, but the essence of the statement is one that I agree with. Why? Because it's something that I experienced right here at my home with my two dogs. I have a brindle bitch, mostly colby cowboy, who is a joy to be around, GREAT with the kids and game to the bone, but for lack of better words, dumb as a box of rocks. My OFRN male, still a pup, showing good drive, sharp as nails and super smart. She had the fire in her eyes from a very young age, and has always had intensity in her drive. All of her female siblings, exactly the same.

19. BKNLS

BKNLS Guest

Some of the most intelligent bloodlines are Colby, Heinzl, and Boudreaux.

20. jr102770

jr102770 Pup

@yardboy: No offense taken,wanted to hear what you were saying :)

"BUT MYSELF, I never pay much attention to what lines are more intelligent as I am a firm beliver that a dog is only as good as one makes him."

interesting, but what I meant by intelligence, is that some dogs that have the predisposition to listen better to what they are told then others.

From the example with your female you received, It seems like your definition of intelligence is different than mine. To me the fact that she stopped doing whatever you told her that means she has intelligence in her, other hard-headed dogs wouldnt have understood it or wouldnt have understood it as easy and im looking for bloodlines/strains of dogs that are naturally slightly smarter then your average one.

@who: ""smarts" to me is a dog that can problem solve...... "

no i dont mean that when i say intelligence, a dog doesnt necessaerly need to be able to do math for it to be intelligent IMO.