1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Historical Purpose Only: No Contests?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by NewSchoolDogMan, Aug 15, 2010.

1. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

I am wondering if there are/were any no contests during the years when the sport of gentlemen was legal. The reason why I ask this is because in the Japanese Islands where the sport of dog matching under Japanese "Sumo Rules," there are times where a No Contest is declared due to a misshap. An example of this is when one Tosa gets his leg stuck between the iron bars of the ring and hurt their paw, thus making the dog unable to continue and if the dog is undefeated or a "yokozuna," then it is considered a no contest. I am wondering if there has ever been a no contest within cajun rules?

2. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I know there have been draws and folks who foul out from a bad handle, but I never heard of a no contest. I'm interested in finding out about the no contest myself....

3. venom

venom Top Dog

Probably not because a dog had a hurt foot lol

4. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

LOL well that is just in just one contest I saw, but after talking to a few Tosa breeders that keeps them true, apparently a no contest is declared only on special occassions, like when a "yokozuna" (equivalent to our gr. ch. title) has a freak accident, bites a referee, and for medical reasons such as seizures, which would result in the match being called. Apparently the reason for this is so the dog won't have a loss on his record since yokozunas are undefeated.

5. venom

venom Top Dog

sounds like bowlshit to me.
    if your dog can't compete for w/e then u gotta take an L.
    but i've never heard of a dog not getting a loss cuz of some kind of no contest rule.

6. Robber

Robber Big Dog

If there is something incidental(like spectator inteference or if a rafter falls from the barn ceiling and lands on one of the dogs:confused:) I believe it is at the referees dicretion whether to foul out, declare one dog the winner or not - I don't know that the referee has ever declared a draw or NC that the handlers haven't agreed to.

7. dogbone

dogbone Banned

i clearly remember a no contest its been about 30yrs or so i was just a kid and the nieborhood teens were talkin about all the different bloods and what they had it did not take long for a contest to be set up. well as it came to be they could not get them to look at each other let alone make a move. they called it a draw lol.

8. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

That isn't the case in Tosas and sumo rules, that is why I brought it up because I've always thought that if your dog can't compete, even if it is due to seizures, you take a loss, even if you are a gr. ch. under cajun rules. But then again, Sumo rules isn't exactly like cajun and doesn't involve turns etc.

9. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

Really? I always assumed if a freak accident like a rafter falling an injuring a dog, the match is called off and a forfeit is paid???

10. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Well, in that specific case, yes, you would hope so, but I don't think there is really a specific rule or precedent for that sort of thing. However, if something like that happened and the other dog was way ahead at the time, the referee could declare the other dog the winner.

11. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

Yeah, I believe that is the case in sumo rules with Tosas as well, though if the tosa inu is way ahead and is an undefeated yokozuna and injured himself through a situation such as getting a leg fracture while trapped in the bars, biting the handler, getting too excited and screamed (apparently under sumo rules, you cannot scream or bark), the match is declared a no contest. I was wondering if such a rule exists in Cajun Style.