1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hope she pulls through :(

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by twiztidpitz, Dec 7, 2007.

1. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I'm so glad to hear it!

I've been racking my brain for any extra advice I could give you, but you're doing it all. Good job! :)

2. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

Well, today I found out that it wasn't Parvo at all! I had a fecal test done and it was negative for Parvo, but was loaded with whipworms. They said she must have gotten into something when she chewed through the chainlink kennel and was running around.

They alos told me that all that I was doing to her was very helpful b/c her energy was drained, and she needed the penicillin for the infection the worms can cause.

She is very happy today, wagging her tail, smiling :) and follows me along the kennel.

Thanks everyone, for the help/support!

3. simms

simms CH Dog

I'm glad your pups ok. That's damn funny! LOL

4. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

I am happy to hear the good news. Hope to hear more good news. Great looking pup

5. Suki

Suki Guest

Amen!
    The tricky thing about whip worms is this (and just attended a seminar on this on weds, so, it's still fresh in my head)
    Whipworm is actually more common than round worm, in adult dogs, that is. and once they get it, the dog can suffer for months, sometimes even years before it's detected/diagnosed. 1 in 7 dogs is infected with it.
    so many dogs are at risk cuz it's hard to detect: the eggs are too tiny to be seen in the dirt/soil, and are even difficult to find during an examination, as not many eggs are shed, therefore making their detection very difficult. we recommend that if you're concerned about your dogs having whip, to bring in a stool sample for 3 consecutive days, as somedays more eggs are shed, then others. the soil can actually remain infected with whipworms for up to 7 years. so, if your dog is retrieving a ball that landed in possible contaminated soil, he/she could possibly ingest a few eggs, as well, as that ball is picked up, the dog becomes infected with the parasite, but again, since the syptoms don't show themselves for sometimes up to a year or more, the dog may go without the necessary treatment, hence, the worm "punctures" its way thru the large intestine, feeding on blood and tissue, which causes the intestine to become inflamed, and next thing you know, dog's got diarrhea, is weak, loses wweight and dehydrates. if the inflammation is too serious, and the dog is not treated in time, it could be potentially fatal.
    whipworm prevalance is:
    West= 4.4%
    Central= 16.4%
    Southeast= 19.9%
    Northeast=14.9%

anyhow, glad everything turned out ok. TY God!!!

Edit to add:
    check out more info at:
    www.petsandparasites.org
    and
    www.capcvet.org

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007