1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

House dog Suggestions

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Coachmcewan, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Need some suggestions for a good house dog. Anybody have any recommendations of breeders or kennels that produce quality dogs that can be house dog.

Looking for good keepers. Please feel free to post any dogs you have as house dogs and where they came from.

Will be the only dog in the house. Also would be used as a show/weightpull at local club.

Not interested in rescue or shelter dogs.

Any good or bad experiences or suggestions welcome.
    Thanks for the help!

2. hardluck

hardluck Banned

it doesnt matter the line of dogs you get. get what ever line of dog you prefer to have. you may end up with a high strong or laid back dog no matter what line you get. they all make great house dogs and could even get along with other dogs also in experienced hands. what matters is the amount of exercise you give that inside dog and simple obedience training to make it work properly.

3. What is everyone keeping as a housedog?
    Kennel or Bloodline you have and pics!

4. You want a pit bull as a house dog? You will only use him for Show Or Weight Pull? Why does it have to be a pit bull? How about a Boston terrier? You can show them. They can also weight pull as well.

5. skratchr81

skratchr81 Big Dog

SANY1314.jpg SANY2010.jpg the buckskin dog is maverick/chinaman and the red one is a sorrell dog

6. Not just an answer, gotta have pics LOL

7. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I'll play. I like posting pics. lol All my dogs are house dogs, although I crate/inside tie up/gate and rotate, as well as have an outside kennel and tie ups for when the weather is nice.

Here's Arez partying it up with the kids. lol She's Mayfield/Clouse x Hemphill/Wilder...

[​IMG]

This is her belly mate, Tank. He's likes watchin' the tube. lol

[​IMG]

Here's Salem on the inside tie up. This was a while back and she had some house training issues so if I wasn't watching her like a hawk she'd go on the tie up. She's pretty good now though so has earned her freedom. lol I'll post her ped too since she has one up...

[​IMG]

Here's her ped...

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=400952

My new pup Moonshine. He's just a pup so he does some inside tie up time as well. My new place kind of sucks for untrained dogs. It's open concept with an island in the kitchen so you wind up going in circles trying to keep track of them so inside tie ups come in handy. lol

[​IMG]

Here's his ped....

http://apbt.pedigrees.co/details.php?id=80197

And my now deceased house dogs...

Venus.. she was a Hemphill/Wilder x. I got her second hand so I don't know what her dam's side was....

[​IMG]

Nyx, Hemphill/Wilder x as well...

[​IMG]

And Marz.... she was Mayfield/Clouse x Hemphill/Wilder....

[​IMG]

And Scarling....

[​IMG]

Here's her ped...

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=171928

Most of them are/were pretty high strung so lots of exercise, as well as tight management and direction while they were young to get them on the right track to being good house dogs although management is a life time commitment. I got most of them second hand and they were BIG trouble in other people's hands, but that's just because the people handling them didn't know what the hell they were doing. They turned Nyx into a psycho guard dog, Tank was smashing through windows to get at other animals, etc... Headlines in the making in inexperienced/ignorant hands. AMAZING family dogs in the right hands.

I'll refrain from posting pictures of the rescues since you aren't interested. lol

8. skratchr81

skratchr81 Big Dog

^^^thats alot of house dogs zoe!!!

9. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Yes, yes it is. 20 years worth of them. And I didn't even post the rescues or the Patterdale. lol

10. hardluck

hardluck Banned

the dog watching tv was funny . he is going to need glasses real soon if he keeps that up j/p

11. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

He is quite the character! lol

12. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

Beautiful pics Zoe...love that your children are in there especially cause "pitbulls" are so dangerous. Your right on the money though doesn't matter really bloodline or breed it's all about managing and training them properly.

13. blackcloud

blackcloud Big Dog

14. Icepick

Icepick Banned

The only suggestion I can offer is to try and get a pup from someone who has been breeding bulldogs for some time, and has a decent reputation. I remember when I first got into the dogs, one breeder I called and asked about a pup flat out asked me "is it going to be a house dog?" I asked "what does that matter," and his response was "some of the dogs I have wouldnt make good house dogs, they would probably eat the pictures right off your walls!" After breeding for a few years, and owning many bulldogs, I completely understood what he was saying.
    Some dogs are just better house dogs than others, and a good breeder will hopefully be considerate enough to tell you, or steer you towards the pups that they believe will grow up to be better suited for the couch, after all, they own the parents, and know the sire/dams personalities.

15. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Venus, my first girl ate through quite a few doors, utterly decimated a living room chair, escaped out of crates... fuckin dog. lol I blame that on my inexperience as well. Crate training is your friend.

16. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Pfft.. the pit bulls are rock solid with the kids. It's the damn Patterdale that hates them. Freakin dog! lol

Love that staffy cross black cloud! :)

17. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

I'm w/you on that Zoe. Have 3 over here w/3 daughters. Ages 1-8 and my dogs are great with them also. Just nice to see more people with good pics of their dogs and kids. So much negative publicity

18. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Two good friends of mine from 2002.

Attached Files:

19. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Socialization is the key along with training regardless of breed, sex or bloodline.

20. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Dogs are creatures of habit, if you set a strict regiment they will thrive.
    For a house dog I highly suggest.
    Crating
    Feeding once a day (evening when you get home)
    Dont set him up for failure, if you will not be supervising 100%
    Crate him. Dont feel sorry for him he will get use to it.
    Proper excersize especially first three years.
    Routine, routine, routine.
    I spend 7 years as a k9 handler for bomb dogs, and maintained a yard.
    Housing a dog without a strict routine with any k9 in a home is a way
    Of life, if your not commited in this manner of regiment it will be a bumpy
    Road.