1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How are YOU (intending) leaving your mark on our dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Rocky H. Balboa, Dec 2, 2005.

1. RullinRuger, In other words, what ABK said!

2. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Just be ready to feed a crapload of curs. Untill you really know what you are doing and figure out what clicks within the line, you will have a whole lot of them. If you are willing to feed 20 or so curs to 1 game dog, more power to you. I couldn't do it.

3. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

tommy what would you do with your Curs? even a good breeder id imagine throws a couple of curs... would that be correct?

4. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Thank you! & that's to just a gamedog. Not a great dog or even a deep game one. All this monday morning QBing is cracking me up! What do you do with curs? Have them fixed & give them away as pets, ;) Or give them to hoghunters to use as catch dogs.

5. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

haven them fixed is not a bad idea at all. What do most people do with them? How do you find out if its worth keeping? trying to learn some things today.

6. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

A good breeder would throw more than a couple of curs. Most people seem to have the idea that game dogs are the norm. That is not the case. It is extremely difficult to acquire a true game dog. Some people keep their curs for other work in the yard (hauling stuff, hunting and so on). If I were a breeder, I would spay/neuter the dogs I found unfit for the breeding program and give them out to responsible owners. That is, of course, if the dog is healthy and well tempered enough to be a pet. I may consider farming certain ones to hunters (I am not sure about this though). All of the dogs I give out would not come with papers. The ones that are unhealthy or have bad temperments would be put down with out a second thought.
    I am not a breeder and this is just the way I believe I would do things. I still have too much to learn before I start breeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2005
  7. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

It depends on the breeder.
    It depends on what you are breeding for.

8. That is why I do not yet want a "yard". I rather wait until I am better prepared to breed than "trial and error" breed myself into the predicament you speak of below. I am not saying experience is the key to avoiding curs but it will help me avoid bad breedings.

Regarding curs, I am sure I can find useful things for them to do.

9. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Just curious...what do you do with them? Are you saying as most believe here that breeders should produce a sh*t load of curs to get that uncommon pearl and discard the rest.........hhhmmmmmm what do we do with all these throw aways?????

10. simms

simms CH Dog

Cull them.

Regards.

CRG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. simms

simms CH Dog

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by mydawgs
    Just curious...what do you do with them? Are you saying as most believe here that breeders should produce a sh*t load of curs to get that uncommon pearl and discard the rest.........hhhmmmmmm what do we do with all these throw aways?????
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BTW, there is no "we"....concerning my dogs.

Regards.

12. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Let me clarrify....by WE I meant the Pit Bull community, no offense intended nor would I presume to tell YOU what to do with your dogs, far from it. Here is an opposing view, however, what makes "culling" all the imperfects, if by that you mean "killing" them different from what goes on in shelters everyday...and by that I mean the big BLUE NEEDLE. I won't argue with you, it just makes me wonder thats all, and as part of the PIT BULL COMMUNITY I would hope I am entitled to respectfully see things in a different light.

Regards back at ya

13. Bakercloud

Bakercloud Big Dog

As i see it Culling is a way to keep dogs out of the AC center. It also help better the breed by culling the man biters and what not.

14. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

killing kurs is different from what happens in Ac if its done responsibly. If the dogs can not be fixed and put into healthy homes its the least risky way of disposing of dogs you dont want. HOWEVER if you are breeding dogs maybe you should consider that you will be creating some less desirable dogs and should consider that you need to find a place for them Before their birth. What you might find to be trash may be the best dang petbull ive ever had " one mans trash is another mans treasure:

By euthing the dogs early on they are not put into bad homes, they do not get to reproduce, they do not end up crowding shelters using funds that could be put towards truly lost dogs.

Bakercloud likes this.
  15. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Well this is a much different picture than "cull" all that are not that shining star, it makes sense, is logical and much easier to swallow for me anyway. We must always evaluate the climate of the times we live in, "the way we have always done it" may end up being something less than posative without some smart thinking and creative problem solving, as I have said to a dear friend....you know what happens to a business that refuses to change with the times...it goes out of business......

16. simms

simms CH Dog

Absolutly,

Regards.