1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about "rescued" game dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Blau, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Blau

Blau Big Dog

How do you feel about "rescued" game dogs?

I don't think I've heard much about this, from the perspective of those who are educated on the sport and the work that's put into it with the dogs...
    How do you all feel about people who "rescue" dogs that have been "saved from fighting"? Or, better yet, what do you think of the people who actually adopt the dogs? Would YOU adopt one? Do you think the people adopting are doing a good job, or do you think that the dogs should just be culled?

Obviously the dogs never should be taken in the first place, seeing as how they are property. But if a close friend of yours had their dogs taken, and some of them were deemed 'adoptable', would you go and try to 'adopt' one?

2. 1916

1916 Big Dog

Re: How do you feel about "rescued" game dogs?

i would scope the place out and get the friends dogs back

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

its a case by case basis really.
    not all the "rescue" people are crazy, there are some good, educated about the breed, folks out there. its them who are on the frontlines and in the trenches fighting BSL, the ~fur mommies~ are the most vocal propenents of saving this breed
    but in the same token there are some rescue folks who are just downright delusional and think every dog can be "saved". those ones do the same kind of damage as the "dogfighters".
    as far as the "never should be taken in the first place, seeing as how they are property" isnt very accurate-there are infact somefolks who deserve, yes i said it- deserve to have their animals taken away from them. it may or may not have anything to do with fighting, but more along the lines of general care/welfare of the animals

"would YOU adopt one?" yes, i did "rescue" a known fighting dog. he is my right hand. he maintains a life seperate from the other dogs...as it is with all my dogs

4. Blau

Blau Big Dog

RR you have a good point, some people don't deserve to have animals. You've probably seen a LOT more shitty yards than I ever have... Dogs deserve to live and be treated with respect.

Thanks for the responses.

5. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

i would take one in rather than see it killed , but its not something everyone could or should do , as you need to be ultra responsable and have eyes up yer ass , ive kept a few dogs with serious personality disorders:eek: (most on here would of culled em but i had a lot of fun ), aswell as the dog aggressive ones that i dont see as a problem myself ,

6. Re: How do you feel about "rescued" game dogs?

About 95% of all game dogs I've owned make great pets. All DA of course, so only a 1 dog family household.

I'd make a distinction though between "game dogs" and "dogs used by dumbasses". The latter usually need to be culled. HSUS i heard killed lots of Pat's dogs, which I think was stupid.

7. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I would love to adopt one that had been taken from someone's home, but part of me thinks it wouldn't be right, if the person who had their dogs taken wasn't one of those idiots who say stupid things on the internet to incriminate himself... If it was a person who really didn't deserve it, I'd feel like I'm taking something that doesn't rightfully belong to me.

BUT then again, you're supposed to help eachother out, right? I've never even owned a bulldog (and am looking forward to the day when I can)
    So maybe it can be viewed as helping the other person by taking in their dogs?

8. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Agree except for the fur mommies I hate some of them!

9. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

Put them down. Gamedogs are called gamedogs for a reason because they have a purpose and that isn't in a family situation with some House Wife of New Jersey filling the void in her life and adopting a dog that was bred for a purpose. I have made bad decisions in adopting or farming out dogs, if I have one and I don't have a person in my "family" to give the dog away to, a trip to the vet's office will do the trick. I have had dogs put down that were better than most best dogs. Best thing you can remember if you are into these dogs for performance, they are just dogs. More come around and more go, they can all be replace and it is your job as a fancier to protect these dogs from people and protect people from these dogs. They are both their own evils in their own way. HSUS just takes the opportunity to capitalize with $$$ to push their name. They didn't adopt out F.B. dogs but they were right on the bandwagon with Vick's dogs to make wine bottles and other crap to symbolize their adoptions. ADOPTIONS ARE BS AND JUST ANOTHER CHANCE TO MAKE MONEY i.e. pit boss, shorty and his crew are posers for the camera, looking to get paid off another gimmick with these dogs.

10. dillybar

dillybar Pup

I agree, adopt a child, buy a dog.

11. fblb

fblb Top Dog

Totally depends on the situation. It isn't a one size fits all type thing.

12. Re: How do you feel about "rescued" game dogs?

If they are your friends dogs then I think it is the right thing to do. As far as saving the animal from a needle, if you have room and time as well as knowledge, then I don't see anything wrong with adopting for a pet. Now, as far as breeding and making money off of someone elses hard luck, I cannot endorse that.

13. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Really interesting to see other peoples' views on the subject

I definitely agree on that, seems like a piss poor thing to do.

14. Re: How do you feel about "rescued" game dogs?

That is a real scumbag manuever to pull. Sad to say it does happen a lot nowadays.

15. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

this reminds me of the vick dogs how 2 got adopted and correct me if im wrong but both died by getting hit by cars a year later by these so called qualified adopters!

and yes if you were able to actually find one of your friends dogs and it was of value to him then i would rescue it. alot of times they are not available in the same area where they were taken from and are never told who the dog was seized from, except for the vick dogs cause they just wanted to make him look bad

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  16. New England

New England Banned

[/QUOTE]Gamedogs are called gamedogs for a reason because they have a purpose and that isn't in a family situation.

17. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

Gamedogs are called gamedogs for a reason because they have a purpose and that isn't in a family situation.
    I use to feel that way but I don't any more because most people don't deserve to own these animals and better yet don't know how to handle a performance animal. Take this analogy for a example, a kid loves racing cars, owned some pretty high end cars, camaros, mustangs, or whatever. He goes to the local drag strips, wins, he does this local stop light to stop light. Do you hand this man the keys to a 800hp Nascar? Hell no, because he doesn't know to handle a performance machine of this caliber, he must be train and learn the do and don'ts of handling a machine of this caliber. Why do you people think this dogs are just pets for everyone to own? They are not a freaking normal animal. Have you seen a dog jump out of a back of truck at 60 plus MPH because it saw another dog, have you seen a dog go through a window after a rabbit, have you seen a dog that couldn't defend itself from a bulldog because some idiot doesn't properly contain his dogs and it is killing the neighbor's dog or better yet what happens when this rehab dog kills another kid because they weren't properly contained. These so called dog men who culled man biters is a myth, it is a joke, some of the best dogs ever to look through a collar have been man biters, Zebo and Bolio are just super famous manbiters. When you seen public displays like this, it makes me wonder why the founding fathers of these dogs ever sold this stuff to public. Yes there are instant rebuttals to this but if you love the true pit bulldog, this no other answer except put them down. I am not Percels who will lie to you and say there is only good pit bulls in this world and just owners, there is good and bad to this dogs and I am man enough to admit. My dogs aren't for the begineer and maybe that is why I am so against this. We live in two different APBT worlds I guess.

18. chucho

chucho Big Dog

As long as they know what they are getting into and suck-up the
    good and the bad. Hey! more power to them.

19. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  20. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I know it's mean but... LMAO that is the funniest thing I've read all day. She's sooo horrified that her baby poochy pit bull bit off another dog's ear...? What did she think the dog was bred to do, pick flowers? :confused: I'm at a loss as to how she could have put the dog in a situation to end up like that.