1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How far back do you go to trace lineage?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by swosprey, Sep 8, 2004.

1. swosprey

swosprey Pup

How many generations will a dog influence? 8, 9, 10?

I know that pedigrees do not necesarily mean anything.
    But you have to admit certain dogs have produced outstanding
    animals over and over again. At what point is that the breeders knowledge
    versus the name on a pedigree. Or do the great bloodlines exist just because of great
    breeders? Have great bloodlines been destroyed by improper breeding and is there a way
    to get those bloodlines back?

I don't know if these questions are more than speculation but I am curious.

2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

the average is about 4 to 5 generations ..allthough its common to see throwbacks every now and again.

Most of why certain dogs produce great dogs is from the breeders knoweldge and the fact that great bulldogs were good dogs who earned the right to breed.. Also, that fact that many breeders didnt let out thier crap..it was burlaped bagged. Many breeders didnt let stuff out period until they were certain their lines would hold.

Great bloodlines will always stand the test of time but yes..there are those who have destroyed and tarnished the lines. thats why its important to know who you're getting dogs from.. What qualifications does the breeder use to breed the dogs?

getting a bloodline back? Well.lol..I bet for just about all the great bloodlines out there someone has something going in their yard but arent going to let it out. Plus, you'll never find the dog of your dreams on someone elses yard. you need to breed for it yourself ..combin all the traits you want. It doesnt happend overnight.. many breeders would cull litter after litter until they got what they were out after.

3. GT99

GT99 Pup

good info rocksteady

4. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

All of the great breeders out their past and present have one thing in common-THEY CONTROL THEIR GENETIC VARIABLES! And the only way to do that is to get a small, tight, good gene pool. Breeding good dogs can be boiled down to…being able to EFFECTIVELY and RELIABLY perpetuate certain TRAITS. In order to do this one must begin to work with a small family of dogs, to have control, but on the other hand one must then KNOW that particular bloodline FIRST-and thus to know which individuals of it carry, and produce, the consistent traits one is looking for. Because not all individuals of a line will produce the traits you’re looking for.

The first step is to use good dogs. The second step is to make sure that those good dogs have tons of good dogs as littermates, parents, and parents’ littermate. You don’t really need to worry about ANYTHING BEYOND THAT. Breeding is basically an ART FORM. It’s about more then just sticking a male and female together. A dog’s genetic pull can be either enhanced by or lost by a breeder.

5. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

I dont looke much farther back than 4 generations....