1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How I got into the dogs by Fredric Maffei

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Robertosilva, Feb 9, 2016.

1. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I couldnt agree more,,, good read Robertosilva...

2. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Me,,, my first introduction was a dog named hannibal that popped our basket ball with one bite and all he was trying to do was play ball with us,,, little did he know he took the "JOLLY" out of our game but a new friendship was built...Hannibals owner was dating a friends mother and it wasnt long before we bought a newspaper pup that was said to be colby hogdog cross,,, which we thought must have meant a dog that went after hogs and not the infamous masons...

Make along storey short I was a punk teenager and lived west,,, where bulldogs were condemed and had very little exposure to any other real bulldogs until hannables owner came over and seen our dog chained to a beer keg dragging it around the yard,,, the man looked,,, laughed and said you boys dont know "DICK"!!!

A couple days later he returned with mr richard strattons big brown book and said you better meet "DICK"...
    Ill say Ive learned alot from that book and it should be one of the first books read by all greenhorns and
    the experienced dogmen could also take value in this book,,,
    And like dope fiend drunken fish,,, I was hooked at first bite,,, not on DICK per say but HAVE BEEN READING BOOKS EVER SINCE,,,lol...
    Then I thought I knew everything there was to learn and twenty years later I realize Ill never stop learning about this great breed...
    I wrote something a while back that I cant find called DICK, TOM and HARRY that pertained how DICK introduced me to the bulldogs,,, and when I got a chance to transfer to bulldog country I jumped on it...
    I sought out the master breeder TOM and later realized HARRY was one who I was really looking for first hand knowledge of the ol' wareagle...

Not a great story but a breakdown of the one I wrote years ago but cant find...

3. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

4. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Nice story Elias.

Here's a short one from Pete Sparks.

An interview With Pete Sparks

RG: In what year did you get your first American Pit Bull Terrier?

PS: In 1926. I got a white dog from Harry Monroe. I called the dog BILL, his registered name was Harlon's HIGHLAND BOY. The dog's picture was on the back of the old Bloodlines Journal magazine.

RG: So BILL was your first Pit Bull?

PS: Yes. I then went up to Erie, Pennsylvania, to Pete Dugan's place and picked up a mother and daughter from Pete Dugan. NELLIE and QUEENIE. NELLIE was a buckskin bitch and QUEENIE was a white bitch. These three dogs were my start. By the beginning of the depression I was up to 17 dogs.

[​IMG]

5. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

DB

"how did you get started in these dogs?

When I was just a young boy, I never even knew
    that something like a Bulldog existed, not until I was about fourteen years old. You have to
    remember that in those days you couldn’t even get a magazine on Pitdogs unless a dog fancier
    recommended you. So back then, it was real hard to get started in any way. The first picture I saw
    of a pitdog was Pete Sparks’ Hunky dog; this was the dog he won in Cuba. Sparks used to run an
    ad in the Game Cock magazines at the time, and when I saw that picture, I said to myself that’s it!
    My uncle was in the gamecocks like a thousand other guys in this state because it is legal here.
    This uncle of mine had a friend who was also a gamecock man, but he also owned a Bulldog. His
    name was D T and he told me one time he knew a real Bulldog Man that lived in Hobart
    Oklahoma. He told me that if I was interested that he would take me there, and so he did the next
    Sunday afternoon. That’s how I met Earl Tudor for the first time in my life. Earl lived on
    something like twenty-three acres and Earl was….well, it’s hard to explain but Earl was very cocky, he looked just like a bad dog. When I saw Earl that first time, I remember I was really
    scared of him. He walked all around me and didn’t say a word. Earl’s place was like heaven to
    me. He told me that he was almost out of the dogs, and that he had no more than forty-two dogs
    left at his place. His dogs were vicious, not that they would bite you, but when a stranger came
    along, they were all excited like you turned that switch that makes them go off! When Earl was
    younger, he used to have more than one hundred Gamedogs and a lot of gamecocks. The next
    time, I went back alone and finally after a lot of visits I started to get closer and closer to him."

6. thecableguy

thecableguy Big Dog

You should of been a teacher because ain't none of teachers ever got me to read this much

7. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Lol If you are interested in a subject you will read all you can. Nobody can make a person read something they don't care for.

For me I took an English Literature course and had to read about poetry like Keats and books by Dickens. The tutor after realising I only wanted to read certain books suggested "on the Road" by Jack Kerouac saying no one she ever recommended the book to had failed to finish it.

I never read it a all, not interested in most fictional books. Maybe some was real but didn't believe the stories.

8. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I agree,,, this man reads and relays subjects very well and hes giving me more than Ive found on the net
    after researching for years,,,
    Once again thank you Robertosilva for all,,, and the Pete Sparks and DB interviews on this thread...

9. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I was a eleven year old boy in 1969 when I went to the Pasadena Kennel Club show at the Rose Bowl on my bike with a camera around my neck. I saw a young man (Sonny) bring Indian Doc into the ring, and I took every picture on that roll of film of that dog. That was the day I decided I knew what I wanted. I still have those blurry black and white pictures to this day. Memories
    ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [14957] :: INDIAN DOC

A very cool short story shared by Mr.BOBM...
    on the STAFF catalyst thread,,,
    that got shut down???