1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How important is coi to you?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by billywaters, Dec 27, 2023.

1. I’m seeing dogs with upwards of 30-40% coi. Curious how comfortable you are with certain levels of inbreeding?

I like under 10% but I do have one that’s higher right now.

I have no plans on breeding but I do want to learn more about it when selecting my next dogs.

2. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

Coi ? I thought they were fish :)

david63 and Dusty Road like this.
  3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

C
    Tells you how closely related the individual is.

ckBone, david63 and reids skipper like this.
  4. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

Never knew that agk … thanks

david63 and AGK like this.
  5. AGK

I'm hitting upwards of 40% in a few of mine. This bitch is probably up there beyond that 40%

https://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=818646

she is razor sharp mentally and acts extremely well currently. Downside of that high of a Coi is she's parrot jawed and most likely a shorter lifespan. Other than that, she is everything I'd want in a prospect.

tomjones2 and david63 like this.
  6. AGK

Most Purebreds are going to average around 20% I believe ( don't quote me on that) . Direct inbreeding makes it tick up higher fast, (that ones a fact). Outcrossing will lower it. High COIs also shorten lifespans, display genetic issues more commonly and possibly autoimmune issues and allergies as well. Some lines seem take to inbreeding better than others. Redboy and Eli dogs being 2 that immediately pop up in mind.
    At the end of the day, you breed your best dog to your best bitch that compliments eachothers traits or counter eachothers shortcomings with in the same family. That kind of breeding scheme naturally creates a higher Coefficient % because your inbreeding and linebreeding predominantly.

tomjones2 and david63 like this.
  7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

The Pit Bull Bible database does a good job calculating COI. He and the new owner don't allow duplicate peds so it can be used as a pretty good tool.

Just about all my dogs over the years have been crosses so my numbers a fairly low. One of the better dogs I have had in recent years was Hatchett and he was around 30%.

Then it gets into recognizing the traits of the dogs involved. The guy that actively bred 4-5-6 generations can get into those higher percentages and come away with lesser negative affects vs. the guy that buys two inbred dogs and inbreeds again.

Interesting topic.

S

tomjones2 and Dusty Road like this.
  8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Whatever you get for coi number. Cut it by 25% for all the hung dogs.

9. slim12

You just fucked up all the math.

S

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lol

11. What about them betta fish I heard they have gameness

12. i started using coi back in the day I had a software program called mbfs one could add recessive stuff and also got into ancestor loss
    i got into 30% but real 30 as I bred all of them myself, but this was after 25 years breeding the same line and I stuck to breeding winners

fuck them loosers

13. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Al
    A computer nerd and someone who knows about dogs together in one man ensure great results.

14. thanks old friend

F.W.K. likes this.
  15. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

This. The most heavily inbred (and probably best dog I ever owned...certainly the smartest) died of neurological problems at 7 years and 8 months. She had a brother that was also, so I heard from a reliable source, an ace in the box.

Current dog is outcrossed (IE has a lower coi) and is probably the healthiest dog I have owned. She is also the most athletic.....and probably a Cur, LOL.

16. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

I had bitch from the same breeder but even tighter, if I remember right her coi was around 55%. One of the smartest and athletic dogs I’ve ever seen. Phenomenal producer too. She lived to be almost 16, healthy with zero health problems. She would’ve lived much longer but because she was never spayed she had a chronic case of pyometra during her final months so sadly the only thing we could do was put her down. She was also an ace caliber performance animal with extreme gameness.
    Like all things bulldog it’s about ‘who bred them and why’ selection is EVERYTHING

mistabonz likes this.
  17. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

On another note I had a fantastic male that was a complete outcross, coi just about zero, coolest thing about his pedigree was it was free of Tudors Dibo. An ace performance animal as well and produced as well as he performed as he should have being both his mother and father made ROM and both happened to be SDJ cover dogs. I don’t know why I never bred the 2 together they were on the same yard for over a decade.
    looking back I was pretty conservative in my breedings, if only we could go back in time…

mistabonz, bamaman and AGK like this.
  18. This is a very interesting topic.

19. slim12

Looking back I had a ton I should have bred or at least put them somewhere to be bred. I can look back and honestly know why tho. I simply hate raising puppies and all that goes along with the process. Liek, if the question was pondered would rather raise puppies or get kicked in the nuts, I would probably ask, "How hard?". Just saying.

Some dogs stack better than others. In most cases the tighter the Red Boy the better the papers look but with each breeding the dogs get further and further away from the box. (for a lot of reasons, mostly the owners preserving their investment but of the ones that are willing to find out, the tighter the less likely).

The RBJBT from that area seem to stack fairly well. I can see where the performance comes from as there are enough families there to be borderline scatter bred. The fact they make dogs that make dogs is most impressive.

To proof my points about Red Boy. On this family of dogs, the name with the least number of winners as stand-alone dogs gets top billing. That is popularity at its finest.

S

20. AGK

Pollo likes this.