1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How many Different types of Pit???

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Liza111, May 31, 2006.

1. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

This probably sounds stupid but:
    How many actual different type of Pit Bulls are there?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  2. pepper_mommy

pepper_mommy Big Dog

types? i think there is only one APBT, but i am fairly new and the blind leading the blind! :) i will have to check back when a smarter person answers!! lol

3. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

What do you mean by type? If bloodline then yes there are many. If you mean breed there is only ONE American Pit Bull Terrier, many imitations but only one real thing.

4. LONGHORNS

LONGHORNS Big Dog

There are two kinds of PItbull. Fighting Line (also known as gamebred) and SHow line.

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

The term "pit bull" is a generic one by today's standards. The term itself encompasses several different breeds & any mixture of these breeds. The breeds include the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, & American Bulldog. And unfortunately, thanks to the government & BSL, any dog with the physical characteristics of these breeds (muscular, defined heads, etc.) is also considered to be a "pit bull" regardless of true breed lineage.

The way I see it, if you've bought/acquired your dog from a knowledgable, reputable, & honest owner/breeder, then you know what breed you've got. For example, I own APBTs. However, I also have a couple of rescue dogs which, despite their looks & APBT characteristics, I refer to as "pit bulls" but more often than not, refer to them as mutts (since there is absolutely no proof that they are pure bred animals).

Now, as far as the American Pit Bull Terrier goes, there is only 1. However, many different bloodlines/strains make up the breed. This is where people get confused. The same goes for the AST, SBT, BT, & AB.

6. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

So what is a (Staffordshire Terrier) then cuz I know many people say that that's what Pit Bulls are really called.

7. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

8. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

Thank You!

Yeah there's So many different Terrier names out there it's hard to keep track of them all. I was told Zoey my 1 yr old is an American Pit Bull & that Kuma my 11 month old is a Red Nose, (both from different people) so it's hard to keep track of all the different names.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  9. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

THANK YOU!
    Your Info helped me a lot! I appreciate it:)

10. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

BEAUTIFUL DOG!

How did U get your photo in there?

11. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

12. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

There is no such breed as a "red nose", "blue nose" or anything of the sort. All that means is that the dog has a red nose. Uneducated people, mostly of the byb sort, made up the "that dog is a red nose" "bloodline" in an effort to sound like they know what they are talking about when in fact they don't have a clue. A red nosed dog is none other than a dog with a red nose, a blue nosed dog is a dog with a blue nose, & a black nosed dog is a dog with a black nose.

13. Liza111

Liza111 Big Dog

That would make Sence:D
    So do U have any idea how I might find out what my dog actually is if the person I got him from doesn't know?

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Sorry, but there is no way. No one, & I repeat no one, can gues a "pit bull's" true breed based on looks alone. There are too many similarities b/n all the different breeds to do so. And unfortunately, there is no blood test, no DNA test, or anythign of the sort to help out either. Scientists have just now been able to map out the majority (not all) of the DNA traits that distinguish Boxers from Poodles & wolves, however, they are not able to look at the DNA samples & tell which is which. I can promise that the pit bull breeds will never make their list of DNA testing.