1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you check your hardware?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Marty, Dec 20, 2004.

?

Preventative Maintenance Frequency

1. Daily

75 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. Weekly

42 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Monthly

33 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. Quarterly

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. Yearly

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Never

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Marty

Marty Guest

This should be a good reminder, that yard accidents do happen and hardware is the #1 cause. this may also be the cause of many attacks that I post in the news.

GrCh_Jeff likes this.
  2. i check them weekly

3. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

I glance over them daily, but thoroughly check them weekly.

4. circlekpits

circlekpits Guest

i check them daily at least. normally when i am outside with the dogs playing around with them.

5. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

OK - What are we talking about?

6. X

X Banned

The hardware that is used to contain your dog(s).

Chain Run: Chain, swivel(s), o-rings, d-rings, lap links, collar, etc.
    Cable Run: Cable, chain, cable clamps, pulley, collar, etc.
    House: Windows, doors, etc. Basically, whatever ensures the safety of your dog and any animal that may be outside.
    Kennel: Fence, locks, latches, rails, flooring (if not solid), etc.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  7. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

Well thank you Shon.
    Guess I would have to go with Weekly / Monthly since my two are mostly spoiled house mutts. Their Kennel is looked at daily when we let them out. They have been very good lately at breaking stuff. :mad:

8. 5555

5555 Pup

i glance over my equip every day as i feed water and clean up after them, but thouroughly go over all my equipment about every 3 months. i buy stainless chains, swivels, 2 1/2 orings, and have a mamouth tiedown that could hold a bear down. so i dont worry too much but still keep an eye out for defects in workmanship that sometimes dont show for months. and replace with stainless steel parts.
    i have seen some people with old rusted up set ups that dont look like they would do the task required of them, and they have more yard accidents do to going cheap in an area where their is no excuse to go cheap. buy stainless chains (p.s. they dont need to be ridiculasly heavy either, just a good medium wieght stainless chain will work fine and stainless is alot stronger than normal and doesnt rust like normal chains) and never use snaps to attatch your dog to the chain, the springs that keep the snaps shut can and will rust out and leave your dog with an oppritunity to excape. use 2 1/2" WELDED stainless orings and slip their collar though it. they are only about 5 bucks at your local tractor supply and well worth the investment.

basically dont go cheap and get the proper supplies from the get go and keep your dogs area clean. if some jackass calls spca on u and the come and see ur dog is in a nice clean enviroment their isnt a whole lot they can do if u take proper care of your animals.

9. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

I check my equip. daily as I am feeding ,watering,cleaning and walking them.It's pretty much a habit to check equiptment, because when your running a horse the last thing you want is for your bit or girth or something to malfunction.And I look at this the same way.

10. Marty

Marty Guest

W/B that is the way it should be daily, their are way to many accidents happening with this breed and I would bet you one dollar to a doughnut
    this is the #1 problem.

That is why I posted this pole, hopefully, it will help the new owners of this breed.

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

right on whiskey. & the thing about the girths? you only need to make that mistake once & you will never, ever, ever make that mistake again!;)

12. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

If I had a yard full of dogs, I would check everything out everyday. I think thats the best habit. Hey whiskey bay, how many horses do you own? We have 5 with 2 on the way. We're hoping to produce some paints finally. We got a stud that we think will produce some decent babies.

13. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I've got a straight Egyption Arabian for stud, X! I love the paint babies, too. Now if only I get my apbts & my horse to get along......naw, never gonna happen.;)

14. carson3535

carson3535 Big Dog

check every day are when ever I 'm out side I'll go around and give a good check> Don't want my dogs running off and don't want someone takeing my dogs

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I check daily on chains but do a thorough inspection weekly of everything else

16. I check mine as well daily, I also check my dogs daily, I check their butts, genitals, legs, toes, nails, ears, eyes, coats, i love on em alittle while, then feed and water them, check my axels, chains s hooks, swivels, collars, o rings and I rake the dung and discard it. except when weather restricts. I would also like to state a point, those big time swivels, everyone wants a strong one, I hear about those big expensive ones, I even have used them a time or two, I now use swivels that cost about half of the price and are about as strong if not stronger than the big ones made in china or elsewhere. these swivels don't measure much more than 2-3 inches in length and are very reliable. I have never and I repeat never had a yard accident, that involved a maintainance problem or malfunction.

17. Classic

Classic Big Dog

I am not sure if there is a spot on this site to show newbies how a proper chain set up is done, but that would be a nice touch.

I have had dogs break heavy, unwelded o-rings too
    so you can never be too secure in your set-up
    check them frequently.

18. when you secure your chain to the swivel coldshuts are the safest option.Laplinks strech.

19. Irish_Deciple

Irish_Deciple Big Dog

same here.

20. nc_pitbulls

nc_pitbulls Big Dog

I Second That