1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you check your hardware?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Marty, Dec 20, 2004.

?

Preventative Maintenance Frequency

1. Daily

75 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. Weekly

42 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Monthly

33 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. Quarterly

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. Yearly

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Never

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

i check mine daily, twice daily actually when i feed everyone

2. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

I check at least once a day when I feed them. Don't have equipment but still worried about what's around them.

3. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

The chain set up i use is a swivel o-ring type combo in one. Kinda hard to explain but they slip through the collar and have a swivel bulit in. The axels are also made by a welder. The are about 2 feet long and have a peice that swivels around on them also, I attached a pic of the axel. I have NEVER had a yard accident using this setup. I think the 2 biggest mistakes in a chain setup are 1. using any sort of clamping device to secure the chain to the collar, such as a leash clamp, one of those clamps that has a swivel in them, or one of the weight lifting clamps. The latch will wear and eventually break, not only that but if a dog lays on the latch a certain way the latch will pop open. Most yard accidents i have heard about resulted in using the latches. #2 mistake is the type of anchor or axel you use. It needs to be strong and deep enough in the ground that it cant just be yanked up. A good car axle is probley the best choice far as durable and money wise,you can find a good car axle at your local junkyard, or used car parts place.Just make sure it is NOT rusted out. Or you can do what i have done, have a welder make you a good axle. The stakes you see at petsmart, walmart, etc..are NOT for bulldogs. PLEASE do not attempt this. Even if your good buddy of 6 years jonny whatshisname, tells you "oh shit i have used those for years never had a problem" HE is a quack. THEY DONT WORK. A bulldog will snap one of those stakes in half if he hits the end of his chain hard enough. Just a little advice hope this helps!

Attached Files:

4. Helped me! I know I'm going to start checking my stuff daily now. I live in a rural area and I can just see something traipsing through our fence that surrounds our rather large yard and me not noticing. Time for daily yard walks! Thanks for the wake up call.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Most of the "accidents" that happen are from people who do not know how to properly raise and care for their Pit Bull, not to mention, most of the "accidents'" that happen are from pit bull MIXES. If they were pur bred there wouldn't be a problem...

6. Nigerino.com/

Nigerino.com/ CH Dog

I would say that most all attacks are from dogs that their owners don't even care if their dogs run loose!

7. pitsRus

pitsRus Pup

I check my equip daily, make sure everything is in tip top shape.

8. GD2

GD2 Top Dog

I Dont Have Any Hard Wear.

9. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

I use mine daily, so I check it daily

10. SMILES

SMILES Big Dog

I check mine about every week. this is how I do my chain set up.http://www.game-dog.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2271&c=3&userid=2329

11. PitbullLover

PitbullLover Big Dog

My dogs are usually house dogs unless we go on our daily long walks. However if I do put them out on the run I make sure, daily, that the chain is secure, their collar is secure, and they have water and shade.

12. TxDogger

TxDogger Big Dog

I check mine daily when I feed.. I've had a yard accident or two and the out come has not been good.. So, I now check them everyday

13. I go over mine 2 times a day, now that I know what to use, I just wanted to add that most people in my area uses there trees instead of axels ( I'm not saying this is a good thing or bad) I just see alot of it here, If you do make sure you check the ground for roots, some types of trees are really bad for there roots to come to the surface. I have to agree with TabDogs about the stakes from walmart, petsmart,ect I have never seen those hold any kinda dog.

14. njchmin

njchmin Big Dog

Dont blame it all on the mixes. I have 2 half pits and they have nver caused any problems. It all depends on the dog.

15. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Very detailed shon...I could learn something from you if you give so much detail in everything you talk about...lol... I check daily... use to be a little slack and go weekly or so but that changed real quick when Bambam got off his chain because those oval carabeaner type connecters always go loose on the nut that closes it. Well he got off and did something unmentionable to a 1 year OLD prospect MALE..so to prevent it I switched links to the coller so he dont murder my whole yard...ITS CHEAPER TO BUY GOOD PRODUCTS THAN TO BUY NEW DOGS YOU LOST DUE TO YOUR LACK OF MAINTENANCE...I LEARNED THE HARD WAY... HOPE YOU DON'T.

16. Marty

Marty Guest

This is a chain set up that we started using on grown dogs if its new you can wait 6 months to check it lol ;)
    Notice the quarter in pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2005
  17. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

that does look like it would last a lil while there marty

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I think the biggest problem is ... everybody wants puppies, they're not prepared to take care of them, then they don't want them anymore, and they're running loose. Where I live, I can't even walk down my road for peoples dogs running out at me, but nobody seems to know who they belong to. Some people don't have enough sense to have a dog of any kind. I have a pit, a shepherd, and two other mix breed dogs. I keep mine up, I just wish other people would do the same.

19. Raw

Raw Pup

The key is qualiity and not economy.........You get what you pay for, in hardware and dogs. You can get something off the 99 cent menu and still be hungery or buy a 16oz New York Strip and be full for a day. I buy high grade steel log chains and cement them into buckets which I bury about 3-4 feet in the ground. This method has always worked for me and others who taught me the way of the world..................

20. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

...its Cheaper To Buy Good Products Than To Buy New Dogs You Lost Due To Your Lack Of Maintenance...i Learned The Hard Way... Hope You Don't

How True...................