1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

how to gain weight?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by stlcardfan19, Apr 27, 2006.

1. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

I think my pup is too thin. i can see a lot of back bone. I feed him all the time. He has gained 8 pounds in 2 weeks but he is also grown a lot. What do i do to thicken him up.

2. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I assume you are talking about the little black one. The other one has by no means got backbone showing. How old is the dog? Have you wormed?

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Has the pup been thorougly checked out by a vet? Meaning has he had a fecal check done on him to check for intestinal worms and/or parasites (coccidia, giardia, etc) & is he utd on vaccinations? Are his stools normal? What kind of food are you feeding?

4. bad_rasta

bad_rasta Pup

How often do you guys worm your dogs?

5. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

100% healthy got all his shots, and checked for worms, and he is gaining weight. he is just incredibly active. ill try to post another pic a newer one. And yes im talking about the black one the other is a hefer and has no problem gaining wieght.

6. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Well, 8 lbs in 2 weeks is pretty darn good. I wouldn't worry, if you just recently got this pup than I am guessing there was an issue that is now resolved with you and that you are putting weight on the pup just fine and it takes time. Seriously, that looks like a little pup, you're on the right track with 8 lb.s in 2 weeks even if he is growing elsewhere. I'm glad you got it checked with a vet, you may also do better with a different diet, what are you feeding, how much and how often? It is reccomended that pups eat 3 times a day and they require an amazing ammount of nutrients and calories.

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

If all is well, just give him time (although he should be on a good quality food & not a Wal-Mart variety...if he's not already). Pups go through all kinds of growth phases including the scrawny, lanky phases. I would just stick to feeding him 2, maybe 3 times a day (take the daily total & divide by 2 or 3 to determine each feedings portion size) & let him be a puppy. As far as putting on "bulk", most dogs won't begin to mature muscularly until around the age of 2 & even that takes great nutrition & proper exercise. But at your pups age, just let him be.

8. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

here are how he looks you cant see the backbone in the pics as much as in real life. I can also see quite a bit of ribs but he is only 6 months today and i have read that you shouldnt see ribs untill he is over a year. well you are all more knowledgeable than I so I hope you can help.

9. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Your pup looks fine to me, with a weight gain of 4 lbs a week, I would not worry. Could just be going through a growth spurt.

You may never be able to "thicken him up", he could be one of those streamlined athletic looking dogs. Built more like a racer, not like a weight lifter....

Miakoda's advice is sound, she knows her stuff, that's for sure. Just let your pup grow at it's own rate, and as long as he stays active and healthy, relax and enjoy him.:)

10. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

well if he was older i wouldnt mind him looking like he does now and his weight is a lot better than it was when i got him. I feed him pedigree puppy chow i think he gets 2 cups a day my wife usually feeds him. if he trys too get in the bag i might feed him a little because he is by no means too big. Is that food absolute crap or is it ok. just wondering im not opposed to spending more money but i dont want to break myself either.

11. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Pedigree is junk, one of the worst foods you can feed. Normally brands the average-consumer think of as "Quality" when you mention dog foods, are the worst products, that are paying for quality advertisement, instead of food! Examples are: Ol Roy, Kibbles n bits, Pedigree, etc.

Check out this site, it makes finding a good food easy, and describes what to look for.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

12. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

there you go. Thank you i have been looking for something like that. i know there are a lot of threads about food but i was wondering about some reccomendations. i would like a good food that i can actually find, you know that i dont need to drive to california for. Thanx guys

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  13. pedigree is crap... anything that contains by-products is crap...

i got my dogs on royal canin and nutro

i work at petco so i get lectured all the time about the dog food stuff

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  14. stlcardfan19

stlcardfan19 Big Dog

well i know i can get nutro at petco

15. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Read the threads......Royal Canin is crap & Nutro is crap. They use poor ingredients & grains/fillers are the most prominent ingredients (4 out of the top 5) so what good does that do for your dog?

16. Dick Van Pattens is really good for dogs. Or is this crap too.

17. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

DVP's Natural Balance is a great food. Great quality ingredients & protein sources are the most prominent in the food. However, I do prefer the Ultra Premium & the Venison over the Potato & Duck & Sweet Potato & Fish.

18. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

the blue buffolo is the best your going to get at pet smart the frist two ing are deboned chiken and then chiken meal and they sperate the veg from the meat so when it cooks the veg dont losr all of there nutritional value pluse the frist 5 ing are oatmeal and i forget the rest but its pretty good

19. my personal prefence is Diamond. For puppys under a year I feed all my dogs Diamond Puppy Over a year i feed Origional. For Conditioning and wieght pull dogs I feed them Maintence. Some people dont like diamond that is just what I perfer to use.

20. Attila

Attila Guest

Heck sounds almost tempting to eat that myself. I have gone to the feed store and pet stores and read a great many list of ingrediants. My dogs get allot of what is left over from butchering my own livestock but I may quit raising them if I can buy it in a bag. Just kidding. I am thinking about Venison stew though. And grilled duck dang. I use Hunter special premium for my Pits along with fresh meat. High Protein and low fat. I also use seargents dog vitamines. I have Shar-Pei also and they require feed that has no soy or corn oils. So I have to be cautious with what I feed my Pits also because they some times get into each others bowls. I have six dogs four of which are female Pit Bulls. I have never had a problem for show or competition. I am still thinking on the Deer and duck.lol