1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

how to read/decipher a pedigree?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by jbpits91, Jan 10, 2013.

1. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

not going to be breeding or anything but wanted to know how to read a ped. how do you know what bloodline/s a dog is made up of from reading the pedigree, it confusing to me especially when i look a couple generations back. if any one could explain or just point me to somewhere i can find out it would be a big help. thanks

2. PureGameness

PureGameness Big Dog

With your eyes.
    Sorry, but reading a ped is one of the most basic things ever, if you can't look at a piece of paper and see a pattern or similarity you shouldn't have these dogs.

3. MANNY1

MANNY1 Big Dog

[​IMG] GIFSoup

4. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

im can read and see patterns what i dont understand is how someone can come up witht he bloodline of a dog thats not given out of a bunch of names- if you dont want to help me keep negative comments to yourself. ive loved all the apbts ive ever been around and i want to LEARN more. a person has to start somehwere..

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

you read it from right to left....if your not familiar with the dogs ittle be a little trickier to read, is the dog on peds?? if you post it ittle be a little easier for someone to help you......if not, your best bet is to see who the primary breeder is and go from there...........

ps, dont sweat the fellas above, chances are they just figured out how to read a ped last year themselves......LOL, stick around....youll notice the trend.......

6. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

lol thanks laced i will keep that in mind, i just want to learn and i seems every question i ask is the wrong one or i say it wrong but il stick with it and learn.

7. Kimo615

Kimo615 Banned

Bloodlines are established by the breeder. In the old days it was based off the breeders name. Such as Carver, Tudor, Crenshaw and so on. People might say....that's A Carver bloodline dog...or Tudor Bloodline dog. Today's time....its named after a certain dog instead of the breeder. Such as...Chinaman, Eli, Mayday, and so on. The more often you see the same dogs in a pedigree...or dogs with the same blood....that would be called linebreeding or Inbreeding depending on how close the dogs are related or how many common ancestors are in the ped. Like if you see the name Redboy a billion times in a 7 Gen ped..top and bottom. That would mean that the dogs pedigree you are looking at....is heavy Redboy blood.

8. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

9. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

- andersons rose was on 5th generation not shown on this ped for some reason

10. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Really Gameness so how exactly does that work for new people coming into the breed that are not familiar with the various families/strains out there? You can look at a pedigree and "Read" it with your eyes but if you are not familiar with every family or strain in the pedigree and the individual dogs themselves you may not fully understand what you are looking at. Cut the guy some slack not everyone who starts off with these dogs knows it all. In fact every last one of you talking shit was green at some point. People can't ask a legit question without the notorious smart asses chiming in to say absolutely nothing. I guess you just knew it all when you got your first dog right? LMAO If we were to follow your reasoning and logic none of us would own these dogs that would include yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  11. Kimo615

Kimo615 Banned

Yahoo goes back to Bolio/Tombstone blood. Just look and see what I'm talking about. Which produced Hollingsworths dog...whatever the name was I forgot. Whoever's dog that is has a bad ass pedigree lol

12. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

i know of some folks who never looked at peds, if they bred, they used two good bulldogs out of their own stock for years maybe decades, they couldnt probably tell you anything by looking at one of today's peds, i dare to say they wouldnt even care if you told them they were pedigree illiterate, but you better brought a good dog to compete against theirs back in the days

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Hey JBP what are the parent's names on the pedigree so I can look them up for you? The dogs you named so far are Reboy/Jocko/Bolio/Tombstone. I need to see the pedigree though to see what other dogs are in there.

14. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

thanks Kimo i look into that. it seems for me to better understand the peds i need to do a lot more reading on all of the strains/families/bloodlines and the dogs associated with them so i know what im lookin at.

thanks to those of you willing to give a guy a chance to learn.

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

no sadie they are "STAR MEMBERS" on here now.........once ur a star member, U R OFFICIALLY THE REAL DEAL!!!! LMAO....

16. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

This is exactly right .. In the meantime if you want us to help you understand your dogs pedigree you can post up the parents names and we can do a search on them and see if we can find them and help break it down for you.

17. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Fuck and all this time I thought my Super Moderator title actually meant something LMAO!!!

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

not to me it dont! LMAO jk

19. jbpits91

jbpits91 Pup

20. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yes don't we know all to well Laced lol