1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

I Need Advice!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MIKA, May 28, 2007.

1. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

I have three female pups, two are sisters that are in a 10x12x6 kennel and the other one is just a house pup that visits all the dogs in the morning & evening. My question is how young is to young to chain a pup? The sisters are starting to fight each other and fight my house pup when she's out. I can't bring one of em in with sasha due to fightin. I've got a mess on my hands, lol.

2. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

My pup was my JRTs best friend until, oh, maybe 6.5-7 mos old. Then she decided she was going to be the dominant animal in the house. She started gettin chain time around that time. Check out some pics in my gallery. Do a search on chain set-ups, and you should come across several ideas that might work for you. I opted for an axle with this set-up: o-ring, lap link, 10 ft chain, lap link, swivel, lap link, o-ring, then hooked on her collar.

I'd say 5-6 months isn't too young. Make sure the chain isn't too big for your pup, and there's no risk of it getting tangled on anything.

She's 9 mos. old now. Loves her chain. It's crate time for the JRT when she comes in, and the cats now have to go behind a closed door, as the pup hops over the gate with ease, and I don't know what she'd do if she got ahold of one now.

Took her a few weeks to shut up at night, now she good. The wifey does spoil her and let's her come in and sleep in her crate if it's nasty weather out at night, though.

Good luck! Just make sure to keep em separated, and hope all goes well for you and your pups.

3. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Thanks Kergin!! Great advice. My house pup is 6 months so she may go on the chain and one of the sisters will come in as they are only 4 months old.

4. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

I see in your gallery you already have some dogs on chains.

Have you just never had to separate pups before? Figured you already would've had a handle on when to put em on a chain if needed...

5. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Well I've had pups to seperate but not three at one time, lol. I have 8 dogs on my yard and the two sister pups were adopted and bottle fed as their mom died when they were two days old. I have never had to seperate pups this young before.

6. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

I see. Have fun with em ;)