1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

I need Kennel Runs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MinorThreat, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

I think you are right, Purple...I just spent $300 in vet bills so I am trying to save some money. Not worth it if a come out to the back yard and a dead dog.

So, I take that the OP at Sams club is the best deal going, yes? I have absolutely zero mechanical skill, so building my own is out (and always more expensive after I get through anyway).

2. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

My dogs break the heavy duty tie wraps in a heartbeat!! If you ever find this issue, use #9 wire. They aint gona break that.

3. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Just make SURE that the Sam's club special is of the guage it is saying. Sometimes there are loop holes in how they word things. Like watts in sound volume, it aint all the same!! That is a good price for that money if it is 8 guage. Also, make sure you want a 5' gate is what you want, and you will need to reinforce the bottoms and tops of the pen, and it would be worth the effort to run a middle bar, as your dogs will probably be hitting the pen from time to time, and if they hit it like mine do, the pen would be destroyed, even with 8guage fencing. I have one dog that will run to the end of the pen, jump up and bounce of the top of the pen, to send himself back to the other end to do the same. If my pens were not built strong enough to hold a tiger, I would have issues.

Just to let you know, I have a pen that is on a 35' X 33' slab, it has 10 14'X4' runs, and 4 14'X7' pens, they all open to the inside, with a 4' run all the way down the middle with a gate to get into the whole setup. The cost of this pen, doing it myself, was around 4 grand. It is a massive pen, and a fence company, using 9ga. cyclone fencing was going to hit me at 6500 for just the pens, not counting the slab!! Steel is getting higher by the day, so if you are going to get one, do it now.

4. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

And everyone on here was screaming that 1K was too much for a well bred dog, lol.

This hobby/obsession ain't cheap! Now I need to find someone w/ a Sams club card.

5. game_test

game_test Top Dog

you should just get one the sams club feed is good and can prolly save you some money too! i have a costco card and my dogs get the kirkland stuff but i used to be a sams member, i think the feed is called exceed. its about 20 bucks for a 40lb bag.

6. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

i get the pro breeder kennel panels 6x5 for 70 a panel but they are galvanized with black powder coat coating but i have to buy a pallet or more at a time each pallet holds 80 panels. That is a good price but i like the new ones i get because the front entrance can open two ways and its powder coated on top.

7. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Rallyracer, you keep them all in the kennel alone together? Or did I read that wrong?

8. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Why would they galvanize them, then powder coat them?

9. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

these 3 are NEVER together
    [​IMG]
    there are 3 seperate runs on my setup, each is 5ft.wide and 60ft long
    and now the shop is complete, there is a window in the back, overlooking the kennel runs and chicken yard

10. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

I know this thread is old but I am running into problems w/ the pen I have.

I need to reinforce the bottom as my bitch is tearing the metal ties out.

I was going to use the nylon ties, the kinds that police use instead of handcuffs nowadays in each individual link at the bottom of the fence.

I only keep one dog at a time in the back yard for about 1-2 hours and there is alos a fence. Any advice would be appreciated.

11. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

the nylon ties are ok, but i would just take some #9 wire and ~loop~ the link bottoms to the bottom rail-that will keep them in.
    funnt this thread came up- i am in the process of doing some work to my kennel runs. started topping them w/ 2X4 fencing. i have a young one here now-might as well make it tip top while the weather is still nice

12. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Try a hot wire. It will keep them from digging at the fence. Personally I use Railroad ties and tack to fence to them so they cannot dig out. If she is really dead set on getting out you may have to use a hot wire. Good luck

13. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

I bought some 8 guage wire that I am going to reinforce the bottom of the kenels with. Hopefully that will work.

I may end up putting steel sheets on the bottom part of the fence.