1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

I need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by coco0889, Feb 1, 2010.

1. coco0889

coco0889 Big Dog

I have a 1 year old dog named Bones. I think he has a case of seperation anxiety. Everytime I leave him he will start to cry and bark until I come back. he will pretty much do it none stop. I have had someone else watching him for the past two months and and I am getting him back soon. I want to keep him in the yard but I don't know how well hes going to adjust to it. What are some things I can do to make the transition more comfortable? Is there any thing I can do for the constant barking, a command or anything I really need your help?

2. Blau

Blau Big Dog

When you leave and he starts to whine, don't go back and tell him you'll 'be back soon' or 'it's all okay!'. Just ignore him. You can also tire him out before you leave; a long jog with him in the morning or night [whenever you have free time, really], and then before you leave, give him a meaty bone or a toy he really loves to keep him occupied.

3. coco0889

coco0889 Big Dog

Ok. Thats seems like a good idea. Do you think walking him on an e-mill will work ok?

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Getting him tired will help but honestly I think the best way is to ignore him, he can't get his damn way all the time.

But yea if he whines everytime you leave for work or something, put him on the mil and burn some of that energy off.

5. BLU3BR1NDLE

BLU3BR1NDLE Big Dog

What he said. I tire my dog out in the morning with a quick 3 mile spped walk, take him back to his kennel and give plenty of water/food. I come back from work and he's all goo.d

He'll just have to get used to this new routine. Eventually he will stop crying.

6. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I'm a she :P But thanks lol
    I think working a dog and ignoring is really the easiest way to deal with separation issues, but I can't speak from experience, my GSD has never had problems.

7. You may want to give this a shot. Grab the oldest, dirtiest and sweatiest piece of your clothing and leave it on the ground for your dog.

8. coco0889

coco0889 Big Dog

I never thought of that. Maybe that would work.

9. BLU3BR1NDLE

BLU3BR1NDLE Big Dog

Sorry about that. :p

10. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

try leaving tv or radio on

11. coco0889

coco0889 Big Dog

He is going to be outside.

12. bdub

bdub Top Dog

i had hte same problem, my dog got to the point where he lost his bark,my post on it is in the health section.anyway,the way i finally solved it after ignoring him ,was putting him with my female muttshe acts like a mom to him and they have gotten to the point where they are playmates as well.now ive got him on a chain outside when im not home and i keep him as close to her as possible ,just enough where they can play but far enough to where they cant cross chains,eventually he'll be moved to the woods where he wont be near her unless im around,but it put a stop to the whining and barking,though,this method may not work for you since your pup is a year old,but id try it with just enough distance where your dog cant get close to the other dog to do something

13. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

i have found and i know a few others that have, with these dogs because they are so very people related and even more so when you make them a house dog , its normal for young dogs but the degree varies.
    try the clothing thing that gringo suggested, one of my old bitches used to tug stuff off the line just one item, and would shut up straight away.
    i think you will find that it will get less worrying as the dog matures and realises it aint gonna do shit.

worse case scenario is to buy a citronella collar, everytime the dog whinges or barks it gets a shot of citronella in the face and soon learns to realise this. ive had to do it to one of my house dogs when friends look after her as the dogs next door harass her through the fence barking ect.
    youd be surprised how smart they are, as soon as that collar is taken off when i see her she goes ballistic like shes free again. its basicly harmless but i would only resort to it if you have to i hate having to put it on her when im away and i swear she knows it, puts on a tantrum every time she sees it come out.

14. My bitch occassionally gets anxious when I have to leave for a few hours. I find that making sure she has had proper exercise before I go (a long walk or a run) helps.

I've also started using 'Rescue Remedy' with her. It's a Bach's flower remedy that helps people cope with stressful and anxiety inducing situations but it works well with animals as well (we use it to calm one of our thoroughbreds when he gets himself worked up). The idea is that it works on the emotional level and helps them be more accepting of the situation that you are going to be gone for awhile. It's very cheap and if you research it you will find that lots of people have had positive results with it. In my opinion it is worth trying.

15. 1503bulls

1503bulls Big Dog

tell him to shut the fuck up!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats all you hear me say lol hate that shit....
    serriously the barking getting on my last nerve, and i do tire them and all that..
    but it getting annoying,,,,