1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

If you could have mentored under anyone...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by CHUVALOFAN, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Pullingcovers

Pullingcovers Top Dog

2. Revelator

Revelator Big Dog

My two go to guys would be Maurice Carver and Don Mayfield. I know both have plenty of haters out their who think they are undeserving of any credit, but truth is, both of them were there for the bulldoggin heyday, and known for top dogs. I'm positive there was a wealth of knowledge to be learned if they took you under their wing. I think next, but equally as impressive of a resume, would be Danny Burton or STP. I also would have taken Ronnie Hyde in lieu of Carver. He was Carver's guy for some years, so he no doubt learned every in and out, both what to do and what not to do, by studying M.C. And finally, a man I did learn a lot from, Tom Ratliff. I missed a chance to be his understudy, as he made the offer for me on multiple occasions to move down and learn the game from he and his son. Offered to put me up, feed me and make sure I was cared for. Now, people may scoff at my mentioning his name in the same writings as so many of the greats, but the fact is, Tom had the game experience and the heart to give a student the keys to the city. Truthfully, Tom should have been known for far more dogs than he was. The ol' boy was tough on em, from a young age. Had they been given the chance to mature a little more and started up properly, you would have seen a lot more Ratliff/Untouchable mentions. But he believed in trial by fire, and culled hard.

However, as it was, the man I learned under was a local guy to me, and much more of a fastlane bulldogger than I realized early on in our relationship, as he was only a couple years older than me. And I cherish every lesson learned from him. He blessed me with big game when I was still just a greenhorn. But elevated my mindset at a rapid pace.

Ssdd and tomjones2 like this.
  3. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

It's funny reading some folks opinions about ppl they never met because of internet personas lol.

Hearing the most egotistical "the world owes me" "fuck them they shouldn't be more known than me" person I've ever met being called patient, all about the dogs, and having no ego is beyond hilarious.

Anyway.... I'd would've like to spend time around baker Davis, stp, rebel, and greasy corner kid myself.

tomjones2 and Revelator like this.
  4. GrChHaunch

GrChHaunch Top Dog

He was a little bit racist, but I enjoyed the one time I talked with him on the phone: Bert Sorrels. Big Tall athletic dogs, too.

5. AGK, Victor Aycart, Ben Brockton, Chico Lopez, Ernest Hollingsworth, Joe Chan, Going Hard Kennel