1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Im trying new dog food...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GrChPitBitch, Jan 9, 2005.

1. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

I went bought #140 of Nutro MAX large breed today... i could find black gold at our PetsMart.... so i got the Nutro stuff... just wondering what everyones opionion was on it....

2. jstorm

jstorm Pup

The best place to find black gold will be through a local dealer or a hardware store.

3. yea, Petsmart doesnt carry blackgold. Feed stores will also carry sometimes.

4. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

IMO Nutro MAX is the better food. It doesn't contain by-products, and they use rice instead of useless corn meal.

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Big Dog

Hi GrChPitBitch,

I am just curious why would you even want to buy Black Gold for your dogs? I did a little research on their Ultimate Performance line and this is the crap, err I mean ingredients I found...

INGREDIENTS
    Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Fish Meal, Poultry Fat Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols, Source of Vitamin El, Brewer’s Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Lied Pulp, Vegetable Oil, Natural Poultry Flavoring, Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Brewer’s Dried Yeast, Salt, Fructooligosaccharides, Essential Vitamins, & Proteinated Minerals,

Now, I know that everyone has their own opinion on what to feed and what not to feed, but from the research I personally have done, all of the highlighted ingredients are big no no's if you are concerned about feeding your dogs a healthy diet.

6. GT99

GT99 Pup

they are not the greatest ingredients for sure, but the good thing is that they list chicken as the first ingredient instead of the chicken by-product meal as the first which so many others do. Hell I remember looking at a bag of pedigree and the first ingredient was corn meal, filler as the first ingredient, I couldnt believe it.

I use Iam's puppy food right now as in Canada I havent been able to find some of the stuff you USA boys and girls talk about no matter how hard I look. The Iams is chicken as the first ingredient and it is not too steep in cost. I might switch it however as I just looked at a bag of food my buddy feeds his lab pups, its the store brand at pet value called performatrim and the first ingredient is chicken, then 2nd is chicken by product meal (compared to corn meal from the Iams) then it has ground rice instead of ground corn. Its a couple bucks cheaper too.

If anyone can list a few other types that they consider the best as far as ingredients go (cost is not a factor as I dont breed and there is only 3 dogs to feed) I am feeding the 2 pitbull pups puppy food right now as they are ony 10 weeks old. my older pitbull/bullmastiff gets Iam's lamb and rice. As I said, cost is not important, feeding them the best that I can is what matters. Please list where to get the food if it is a store brand and only available there.

7. slim22

slim22 Pup

BLITZKRIEG its great that you pointed out all the sh*t that is in Black Gold. I personally feed Nutro Maxx because of the many useful ingredients. Many dogmen brag about my pit is 100 lbs and it's because that dog is fat from all the crap they are feeding it. I really hate when someone bad mouths Nutro Maxx or doesn't give enough credit. I rather have a lean muscle, fast dog than a fat lazy one. Thats just my two cents. Thanks

8. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

wow... obviously, i was very tired... (that will be the last time i post without reading...lol)
    Anyway, what I ment to say is....
    I recently decided to change dog food... I went to PetsMart, in hopes of finding Black Gold... but they didnt have it... so I got NutroMAX large breed.... with glucosamine in it and beef meal instead of chicken.... they have only been on it for a couple days, but my big male is acting like he feals better!! he was very lethargic, and his hip was bothering him an awefull lot (old "car accident"), but he is acting happier... LOLthe other dogs have more energy than with the other too... again, i appoligize for my haf wit post....
    lol

9. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

We feed Nutro too...there are better foods out there, but alas, Nutro is available in Petsmart and a bit cheaper (although I've heard your upper end foods require much less feeding because they are more bio-available, so in actuality they aren't THAT expensive). Try to find them online...I'll see if I can find the website that sells a lot of the high quality foods for ya...

10. zombie106

zombie106 Big Dog

has anyone heard of "Blue"? We saw it today at Petsmart and want to gget it, but it is like 40 for a big bag. The ingredients are listed on the back (and on a top ten list on the back) and seem really good. Has anyone ttied it?

11. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

We tried it when the pups were still young and they got the RUNS BAAAD. It was most likely just because of the food change (from Nutro, and quickly back), but we didn't feed it for more than a day. The ingredients do look good, but I can't help but wonder why it is relatively cheap (compared to other high quality, more expensive foods with the same ingredients). My guess is that while they do have those better ingredients, they are lower quality, which I'm not sure is worth the money. To me, you either get them the best money can buy or just get a bag of Nutro. I don't see the point in paying more money for an only moderately better feed.

12. Classic

Classic Big Dog

Well...here is my not so scientific data...

Black Gold STINKS...literally...it makes your dogs urine and feces smell up your whole yard.
    Chicken Soup and Caniadae are great for summer, but not for winter...not enough fat and you almost have to triple the amount to keep weight on your dog.
    Maximum Nutrition & Exceed are ok, but seem to cause hot spots in my dogs.
    Diamond & Sportmix might not be the most highly rated, but do well by my dogs.

13. Yea the diamond caused alot of heavy hot spots on the onset of the feeding of diamond.

14. no matter what anyone says, the things highlighted in one of the above posts especially salt is included in ALL dog foods, rice is a worthless ingredient and isn't the best thing for protein and you didn't include all of the ingredients that it has, as it does have vitamin K which you will not find in NM. black gold before you bad mouth it, is a very high quality dog food, corn meal is a necessary starch and is much better that ground up yellow corn which is harder to digest for the dog. i have done extensive research on black gold and eukanuba (expensive junkanuba) and several other brands and have found that there is no brand in this country that has a line of dog food that has 2000 calories per cup. black gold has several lines of dogfood, they have the economical junk line, they will even tell you it is, then they move all the way up to the signature series, black bag is common amoung active dogs, red bag is better all around and the blue bag by far is the best for sporting dogs, they sell the only raw form of puppy food that just came out on the market today which is a goldish foil bag available in 25# bags.

15. hey classic,

just so i will make note of what color of bag were you feeding your dogs when you had the smell on your yard?

16. the owner, not the dog nor the feed is the fault of a fat lazy dog. that is like a football coach saying that football players are lazy, it is his fault they are lazy. a pet is the direct reflection of his owner. there is nothing wrong with black gold or nutro max to a general pet owner, but as far as performance goes, you will need a high caloric and high protein dog food, nutro max is a good summer food but not a good winter food or heavy strain sport food. 31/24 protein over fat high end brand. no more than 3.5% fiber, too much is just as bad if not worse than not enough. moisture content should be somewhere between 12%-14%, if it is lower then what the manufacturer is really saying is we think our product is going to need a high shelf life as the higher the moisture content the lower the shelf life, the moistest dog food is obviously canned followed by the package brands then dry brands. dogmen in the corp, know.

17. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

i been using nutro max for about a year and a half and so far no problems at all. i switched because i found eukanuba for half price but that's it only once in that time. i'm faithful to the max good results and less yard work.