1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

IN: Are pit bulls' behavioral tendencies due to genetics or the environment?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Vicki, May 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Updated: 8:18 AM May 5, 2011
    Is it genetics or the environment?

South Bend, Ind.
    Recent pit bull attacks have been causing a stir locally, so I spoke with an expert about whether aggressive behavioral tendencies are caused by the dog's genetic make-up or its environment.

Posted: 4:44 PM May 4, 2011
    Reporter: Katherine Rufener; Rich Molina
    Email Address: katherine.rufener@wndu.com, rich.molina@wndu.com

Are pit bulls' behavioral tendencies due to genetics or the environment?

Recent pit bull attacks have been causing a stir locally, so I spoke with an expert about whether aggressive behavioral tendencies are caused by the dog's genetic make-up or its environment.

The expert I spoke with says, without a doubt, the pit bull is a very strong animal, one that can be quite dangerous.

But what determines whether this dog is a calculating killer or a gentle giant?

The answer just might surprise you.

With a mouth like that, saying the pit bull's bark is worse than its bite would frankly just be untruthful.

Many have come to view them as vicious predators, ready to chomp down on anything that moves.

But is that really who the pit bull is? Is it really more prone to aggression than any other dog?

In the wake of recent attacks, I decided to ask the experts and find out.

Roseland Animal Hospital’s Dr. David Visser said, “I think that this is an individual issue more than it is a breed issue. I think it's very tempting for people to see the news and hear the news and think, ‘This is the one breed or the couple of different breeds where this is notorious.’”

Breeds such as the Doberman Pinscher, the Chow Chow, and yes, the pit bull have gained wide-spread reputations for their apparent aggression.

But Dr. Visser says there are just as many smaller breed bites. So if that is true, why don't we hear about them?

“Many small breed dogs do indeed get involved in bites, but the damage or the injury that happens is so much less significant that it does not gain the notoriety and may not even be reported,” Dr. Visser explained.

And what causes a dog to bite? Visser says normally it is because the dog has not had proper training and is not used to being around a lot of people or other animals. But sometimes, it is something even simpler than that.

He said, “When somebody does something that is either quick or threatening, or they stand up suddenly, that is to the dog a threatening posture that can set them off.”

The experts say there are some breed specific behaviors among dogs, but not many among pit bulls. Why? Because believe it or not, pit bull isn't even a real breed.

Dr. Visser said, “There are Staffordshire Terriers, there are American Pit Bulls, there are Bull Terriers. There are many different varieties that form this group of dogs that may be genetically related through that whole tree of canine history.”

Regardless of the official breed, or lack there of, Dr. Visser says it is important to remember that developing the dog's personality is the responsibility of the owner.

“It's not as though I see a pit bull coming in and I say you need to get this dog into training, but rather all dogs need specialized manners training in the beginning and then socialization in the proper setting,” said, Dr. Visser.

And although, the pit has a history of being raised for dog fighting, no dog is beyond help. They just need extra attention.

“I've seen many situations where dogs have come from a fighting world and have been able to go through socialization and have successfully become wonderful pets in a home,” said Dr. Visser.

He also says it is important to have temperament testing done on a new pet, especially if you are uncertain about the dog's history.

This can be done at any local vet office.

It is also important to be careful around any unfamiliar dog. Do not make eye contact with it, and do not try to approach it.

And if you are being attacked, get in the fetal position. If your pet is being attacked, do not try to separate the animals.

Instead, if there is water around, throw it on the dogs. It will startle them long enough for you and your pet to get away.

Tune in to Wednesday’s Just Before Six for the second part of this report.

Is it genetics or the environment?

Click here to post or read all 12 comments.

2. CCDINO

CCDINO Pup

Genetics is a large part but. the environment does play a roll as well. in are sport club the people that have more then one dog in there home. they tend to act the same way. not all but the majority do this. best example I got is my buddies got 2 cane corsos and a chihuahua and the three have the same temperament...

3. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

I think that genetics has a huge part to play as much as environment even, some dogs are more prone to biting and others aren't the ABPT for instance is prone to dog aggression as we all know and its because for centuries that's what the dog has been used to do. why would hip displaysia be genetic and temperament not be (don't get your dog from an unknown breeder) i also agree that environment affects a dog if a dog is beaten battered by men iv experienced Pomeranian's who don't like men because there use to getting beaten by them

4. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

It is both. I don't know why a lot of people seem to think it can only be one or the other. it's both. always has been both, always will be both. it's not Nature vs. Nurture. it's Nature AND Nurture.

5. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

i know i am way off topic but i dont see this working

6. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

I'ma have to agree ccourt, really ppl do ya think!? NOT!

7. interesting. genetics are important. you can breed away from bad traits or breed toward better traits. why keep breeding faults in temperament and behavior?
    a well bred pit bull will display strong positive traits found only in the game dog [pit bull] or fighting lines. once you deviate from that characteristic, you have something else. a good enviornment and training will nuture positive existing qualities. game, loyal to people and confident is the making of a stable acting pit bull. most pit bulls that attack man or animal are cowards. a confident pit bull will not be needlessly provoked to incorrect behavior at the moment. paranoid animal will always bite. pit bulls showing this trait should not be used in breeding or family pet.

8. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Which book did you get that out of Fig?

9. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

So your saying that a pitbull that attack animals arent stable? Fig im not sure you know what your talking about.... of course no Pit Bull should attack man that's common knowledge... but if you sit there with your "pit bulls" and expect them to not one day go after another dog or a rabbit or anything with fur or feather your being naive and irresponsible you ALWAYS have in the back of your mind that a pit bull will do what they were bred for since the conception of the breed and that is to attack other animals period the end....

10. venom

venom Top Dog

Since the artical is not talking about a specific breed, but a group of different breeds and even mutts. Its hard for one to narrow it down because A. all of those different types of dogs are being bred for different reasons and going in different directions.. they all differ genetically so why would they all bite for the same reason? B. A variety of different people own all those different kinds of dogs so it would be near impossible to know what kind of enviroment each of those animals that end up biting someone were living in. It could be either neither or both.