1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Info on a breed

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by pit_collision, May 11, 2006.

1. brolick

brolick Big Dog

I nevr said that my dog was pure bred because i can't prove it. But u said i have a mutt guarding my property, whats the use of having a pit guard my property when they're not supposed to be territorial? (even though i know some are) If someone needs a better guard dog, maybe they do need a mastiff breed, i didn't specify what dog to get. Some people don't want a 50 pound pit and at the same time they don't want a 130 plus pound drooling mastiff. The mix does serve a purpose weither u like it or not. These dogs may not be as athletic and well rounded as a pure pitbull, but they're a hell of alot more athletic than a mastiff, with good traits from both sides. Alot of breeds of dogs were started by mixing dogs to get what u like, maybe sooner or later they will come up with an actual breed that is between 80 and 110 pounds and still have the pitbullish aspects that many people like

2. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Ya, a lot of dogs did start off as mixes, the Doberman Pinscher is just one off hand. And it's good that you don't claim that yours are pure bred APBTs. But most of them are being called pure bred, and being sold as such. Just call it what it is, a Bandog. And mastiffs are not drooling useless dogs, they can be amazing protectors when bred and raised properly. But if you don't want one that big, get a rottweiler, they are smaller than a mastiff and bigger than a pit bull. But why the hell would you mix a pit bull and a mastiff, when their temperaments and habits don't mix. So ya, breeding those two togeter is pointless. And also, most people who have these dogs don't have a larger, in shape medium of a pit bull and mastiff, they have a short, fat, bowed out, dysplastic, untrained, useless dogs that they only use to make themselves seem cooler. If they really wanted a dog for security reasons, they can get a PP trained german shephard for the same amount as an overpriced POS Mugleston's mutt.

On the one hand, it would be great keep you guys here so that you could learn some more about this amazing breed and maybe learn the error of your ways. But I don't think that will happen, because you can just easily go over to a hippo board, and have fun with the circle jerk over there where nobody does anything responsible with their dogs, and just breed their useless mutts and dumping them into shelters. So quit trying to rationalize doing the wrong thing and get some sense into your head.

3. brolick

brolick Big Dog

See i hear everything u are sayin, but i have had experience with alot of dogs that have probably been mixed with a larger mastiff type dog somewhere and i know that they aren't all bad dogs. I'm sure i know more about these types of dogs than u just like u probably know more about pure bred pits than me. My uncle had a big amstaff that he bred with a smaller(about40pound) english rednose. Out of that litter came my dogs father which is about 100 pounds conditioned(hes probably mixed somewhere) and he took him back to his mother which made my dog. My dog was about 80 pounds, 19-20 inches at the shoulder and very athletic(could run forever). And my dog would guard my family and house with his life(it eventually took his life). I wasn't fighting him so the actual gameness didn't matter, even though fighting goes by weight anyways. But he had the best of both worlds, the beutiful looks, athleticism and porportion of a pitbull and the protection of a mastiff. Oh yeah and some people(me bein one of them) don't like how rotts look so this method is better. U are teaching me some things and i hope i teach u some things too.

4. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

Not to be a jerk or anything, but please tell me, what is an English rednose? If you're willing to teach, I'm willing to learn
    :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  5. yes i am curious also as to what a english rednose is? as far as the rest of the thread i am gonna let y'all work it out yourselfs because i seen from the most part that you already have your own ideas set and no amount of words is going to change your mind.but i am curious what a english rednose is,because in all my years i have never heard of it.and as far as teaching things just be sure you are teaching the right things,remember the student is only as good as his mentor

1 person likes this.
  6. My dog is around lil' children every single day and has never shown an ounce of aggression towards them or anyone in particular. My dog is not a ***** mutt and you can believe whatever the **** you want. I am not gonna breed my dog just because someone said "she looks like a pitbull" and FYI she has already gone through her first heat and guess what no pups, are ya f*****' happy. I joined this site the possibly learn more about my dog and APBT's in general. My dog isn't a fat ass, stalky dog, she is very lean and athletic. I don't have to show my dog in competitions to know how agile and free-spirited she is, my dog can have just as much fun in her own backyard. As for breeding my dog, you have no right to tell me what to do with her or her pups. I don't need papres to know that the pups will go to good homes. Its not my fault people get their dogs stolen or taken away because of the conditions they live in. Me, nor my family is poor, so why judge me. Why criticize me without even knowing me. Criticize my beliefs and my way of life and I will pick out the flaws in yours. Like what has been said in earlier replies, we'll do what we want in the in, and if that makes us bad people, then so be it. F. Off,

*** Edited by Marty for language and content, remember theres little kids lurking ***

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2006
  7. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Nothing worse then a clueless pitbull owner that at least isnt willing to learn. Good luck to your dogs, the poor things will need it

8. Attila

Attila Guest

Well you live close enough for me to get to know you. I don't think you're willing to learn anything from any of us. You obviously have it all down to a science. And in a prior post you said you couldn't afford to get the papers. So are you did you lie or are you poor? Another thing that sort of language isn't allowed on this site. So while your using My Lord's name in Vain and using for unlawful carnal knowledge in abbreviated form you need to calm down and read your own post. You're a contradiction to your own words. I suppose you're a later teenager with the way your using ill language to express yourself. Why don't you save yourself and us the trouble and go reflect upon your own. As you have so much to offer us in return. You have just blasted some of the best people you could have learned from. Living legands right in front of you. Good going hot shot. I suppose you're not going to try to tell us about the mistery blood line english rednose then either eh? Well ain't that some real knowlege to share. Make it good we would love to hear all about it. I for one am just sitting on the edge of my chair in anticipation of such wonderous knowledge of this mystery line. So great that even the senior dogmen have never heard of it. So let's hear it. If you can get it out with out being banned that is.

9. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

To PitCollision:
    Look, the only reason I came so strong in this thread is because you made the aggressive approach first, blasting people for trying to educate you. If you don't come into this thing with an open mind, than nobody can help you, and like you said, you will do what you want anyway. That is an immature attitude to go about something as serious as bringing life into the world and altering what shouldn't be and doesn't need to be altered to your own specifications. And everything I said adressed a specific point you made in your posts, I didn't pull those things out of thin air. You said that you shouldn't be criticized for not being able to afford papers, I pointed out that you don't have the money to responsibly whelp a litter of puppies if you can't afford papers. You said at the very beginning that you didn't even know whether or not your dog was a pit bull or not, and you were asking us. So with even the slightest encouragement that she was pure bred, you were ready to breed her. That is just plain irresponsible, because there is no reason she should be bred, or your uncle's dog for that matter.

Nobody is bashing your dog, we just want you to own her responsibly, and not join the ranks of the many bad pit bull owners/breeders there are in the world as it is. Everything was presented to you calmly and logically before you flew off the handle.

To Brolick:
    There is no such thing as an English Rednose. Period. That is some bull crap line fed to you by some puppy peddler. Maybe it's heritage goes back to England, and it's a rednose? Hmm, if that were true, than it wouldn't be the big mastiff mix you are describing. And please, no matter how many years of your life you have been working with these mixes, that doesn't compare to what families do to form breeds. One person can not form a breed by themselves. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on this or any breed, because I know for a fact that most of the people on this board make me look like a dee dee dee when it comes to pit bulls. But at least I know and admit this. Just like I said to PitCollision, people need to be more open minded and willing to learn, especially when it comes to things where there is no way that you are an expert on the subject. So here is your chance to educate us, because with all the bad evidence already mounted against you by those who do it the wrong way and don't know what they are doing or talking about, please show us something that will justify your reasons for breeding a pit bull with a mastiff mix. Because right now, you have nothing. You don't like the way a rottweiler looks, so you risked a breeding that could have resulted in a large powerful dog with an unstable temperament. Too risky of a move. You just wanted something that looked like a large, jowly, pit bull. You proved that you only wanted the dog for looks, and that performance was not as important in that breeding. Irresponsible. If you want, prove me wrong.

10. brolick

brolick Big Dog

I had a feeling that was gonna happen with the english rednose thing, thats just what he told me. And it could be a big mastiff mix if the father is 100 pounds and 80 pounds isn't all that big. I listen and learn from evrything on this site but when i have delt with something first hand, i wil share. I nevr said i was goin to bred like this but i had a dog that was mixed somewhere and he was perfect. If evryone wasn't saying that mixed dogs are good for nothing mutts i wouldn't be saying anything. It doesn't seem like u pay attention to evrything i said(sayin i wanted the dog for looks) I said a dog with the good looks and ATHLETICISM of a pit with other qualities from mastiff. I know there may be some bad mixes out there but i know for a fact that all mixes aren't bad. Even if u said most mixes aren't bred right and come out wrong i would be ok with that. Just don't stereotype evry mixed dog, i know u hate it when people stereotype pitbulls.

11. Attila

Attila Guest

So you want a Bull Mastiff. Get one of those and you will have what you just discribed. Exactly and better yet it already is a breed of its own. Good dogs I had a few over the years too. Great Bear dogs. Also great guard dogs for the farm.

12. ..............1 3 2 lbs. LOL o man what went wrong with this idiots. Everyone who gives a shit of the papers from this criple dogs must be absolut brainless....

13. brolick

brolick Big Dog

Good point and point taken, but its rare that u see a bullmastiff under 120pounds, they are still too big for the average owner. Are there any bully breeds that grow to about 80pounds(give or take a few). Someone may suggest a american bulldog but most of theones that i've seen are all over 100 pounds also.

14. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

So what exactly are you trying to do? You're trying to breed big mutts, correct? You say you want qualities from both breeds. That shit ain't happening. Just because you breed two seperate breeds you're not going to get 50/50 traits. Breeding within this breed to get certain traits is hard, and you're trying to get what you want out of a cross? Get outta here with that. Why not get a good catch weight APBT? Most of the things you say, lead me to believe that your experience with dogs is limited to the mixes or street bred "pit bulls". Didn't someone recently post about that new big bully dog registry, that sounds like it's for you brolick. Stay away from the APBT...far away.:D

15. i am just gonna sit back and watch them make big enough asses out of themselves using their own words.you can judge a persons knowledge by the words that they use a whole lot better than trying to ''school'' them and see what they know.and from the posts i have read they have made it crystal clear to me where they stand in the commiunitey.no sense getting into a big arguement with someone who doesnt want to learn,and the other boy made it quite clear he doesnt want to learn.

16. wow.. alot of response.. only responding for myself tho.. this fella will do what he wants regardless of good or bad relations with the group.. but to him only i am saying ,, i do know where my dogs are and i have a long waiting list which will not be delivered becuz im nearing 50 and dont want to deal in puppies any more , the puppies i have produced have been spayed and neutered so the people they are in the hands of cannot produce any puppies.. not like they arent the best of folks.. police and fire dept in nyc i consider my friends.. i dont live in bad area of town ,, people ride around to more affluent areas to steal.. who would go to poor nieghborhood to steal nuthin there to take.. think about it and a really big effort has been taken to get my dogs , as to climb the side of the building to a second floor to get them.. do what you want , no one here is gonna change a well set mind .. do take the time to wonder tho ,, cheap litters arent gonna do much for the breed.. and non papered animals really aint gonna do much either.. true papers can be false.. i had dogs stolen so i have extra papers but true people.. honest people turn them over to the registry and let them know that these dogs are no longer in the hands of the owner or dead.. very well then.. you obviously got all heated up , and lost the battle for the first one to fight is the loser , as said in old chinese legends.. nearly everyone that comes in here thinks of breeding.. i say nearly ok so dont rebuff me yet.. and they get the same treatment as did i .. if you stick to it you will learn .. get a grip and get cooled down and try again .. anything i bred will probably die out with me.. so it goes..good luck

17. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Collision: All I want to ask you is ARE YOU READY?

Breeding dogs is not all sunshine & rainbows. You don't just thow two dogs together & let them do their thing. Are you ready to supervise the breeding & assist if needed? This means you will have to do some things most folks are too squeamish to do, in some cases even include holding the male's penis & guiding him into the bitch's vagina if needed!

Are you ready to pony up some cash? Those 100lb mongrels don't breed well so artifical insemination may be needed. Further, what happens if your female doesn't want to be bred? Are you ready for the vet bills that will result if she attacks him or he attacks her? Or worse, what if you end up getting bitten? Ready for an ER visit & time off work? Assuming you work that is. You sound like a kid & may not have to be chained to a slave house yet. If that is the case enjoy it while you can!

But back to breeding. If the breeding goes well, are you ready for the possibility of your female not being able to birth the pups & requring a c-section, a procedure that runs about $600 to $1000? You ARE thinking about breeding a maiden bitch to a 100+ lb male, so a c-section is a very real reality.

And what if she gets masitis, enclampsia, uterine inertia or catches a sexual disease from the breeding? And what if she ends up getting a pyometra? All of this will cost hundreds of dollars.

If all goes well health-wise, what if she becomes aggressive & kills her pups? Or what if she won't nurse them? Are you ready for feedings every 2 hours around the clock? If they won't nurse a bottle do you know how to tube feed? Worse yet, what if she won't care for them at all? Are you ready to manually stimulate the pups' bowel movement for at least two weeks every feeding? That's right - pups cannot go to the bathroom on their own until they are about 3 weeks old. In addition to feeding them YOU will have to stimulate them to get them to poop & pee! Fun.

And what if a pup is born w/ a birth defect? Will you be ready to euthanize it?

But let's assume all goes well. Are you ready for at least 8 weeks of wormings every 2 weeks, shots every 2 weeks & all that extra feed for the pups & the extra feed mom will require when nursing them? It doesn't come free & let me assure you, the costs will rise quicker than Mississippi floodwaters! If you don't have the money to get papers on a dog or buy a registered animal, then look out, b/c rasing a litter costs MUCH more!

Furthermore, since the pups will be unregistered dogs of unknown purity, don't expect to be making any money anyway. You'd be lucky to get $100 a pup. Say she has 10. That's $1000. Great huh? But wait - the costs of caring for a litter from weaning to 8 weeks will far exceed that. You're in the hole. Bummer.

And what about homes? Don't think you've got homes waiting either no matter what folks tell you. If I had a dime for every time I heard about someone say "I'd love to have a pup off so-&-so" & then have them back out at the last minute, I'd be a millionaire! Then you're left hanging, w/ several little pooping, peeing, money consuming, destructive devils for 12 weeks - or longer! Now you're WAY in the hole!

Oh, but you're going to sell to your friends, right? OK. Are you ready to lose some friends? I've seen more friendships destroyed by dogs than I care to imagine. Friends you thought were like blood will tear you to pieces like hungry jackals if something is wrong w/ one of the pups or the pup becomes a problem. A good friendship may be forever lost. Ready for that? B/c I assure you as sure as you're reading this it will happen at least once.

But then the time comes ... ahhh blessed peace ... you've finally placed all the little critters. Or so you thought. Are you ready for the to take back the pup from the guy thought he bought a purebred pit bull & found out he didn't? Are you ready to have him kick your a.. if you don't refund his money? Refund? What refund? You mean you spent it? Looks like you're gonna have to pony up buddy b/c don't think some folks won't kick your a.. over a dog - they will.

Are you ready to take back the one that the owners don't want any more b/c it's too much work? Are you ready to take back the one the owners couldn't keep any more b/c of BSL in their area? Are you ready to take back the one that got sick & the owners claim it's your fault? Dang. Now you're back to feeding & caring for 4 or 5 dogs instead of 1.

Think that's bad? Are you ready to get sued b/c one of the pups has an unstable temperament & bit a child in the face - something he inherited from his mother - you know, the dog you know nothing about? You know, the one that would be impossible to know about seeing has you have no pedigree on her & know none of her ancestors? Since she is unregistered & you knew none of her ancestors, you had no idea her grandfather was a terrible man-biter & her aunt bit 3 kids.

Now it gets worse - are you ready to go to jail & have all your dogs seized & put to death b/c someone was talked into fighting one of your pups? Yeah, I know you don't dogfight, but say one of the folks sell a pup to got talked into doing it. They got caught & you find yourself charged with "Selling with Intent to Dogfight!" Ready for that?

In case you don't already know, selling w/ intent to dogfight means if you sell me a dog & I fight it & I get caught, YOU can go to jail! If you get busted for intent, all your dogs will be taken & you will go to jail. You can bond out - if you have the money to - but the dogs will be held for the duration of your trial. If you are found guilty the dogs will die. If you are found innocent but can't pay the boarding fees for your dogs, which usually in the thousands of dollars, guess what? The dogs will die. Ready for that? And don't say it won't happen to you - one of the most well known pit bull breeders in the U.S. was charged w/ intent, so it can happen to anyone!

Think all this over. Are you ready to risk your welfare, your family's welfare & your dog's welfare just to see what her puppies will look like??!

If you have your heart set on breeding, volunteer at your local shelter for a while. This will give you an opprotunity to see where some of your pups may end up. See the despair & depression of the dogs. Help the techs put down dogs just as good - if not better - than yours b/c a home couldn't be found for it. Look into their sweet face at the tech slips the needle in. Watch the wagging tail go slower .... slower .... stop.

If you're lucky it will be this easy. Sometimes the dogs have a reaction to the deadly cocktail & you have to restrain a terrified dog, body stiff, rigid legs tattooing on the table, head thrown back, while the dog gasps & foams. Then the dog slumps over, gone. It was only a few minutes but it will seem like a lifetime.

The dog knew it was dying & died terrfied & afraid. You had been it's caretaker for weeks & it trusted you when you lead it in the room & put it on the table. It wagged it's tail as the tech slipped the needle in & licked your hand. You'll always remember how his soft eyes went from warm & loving to panicked & distant, rolling in their sockets, whites showing like a shark's eyes as he fought for his life. But easy or hard, the end result is the same - death.

Then take the still warm corpses to the freezer to be stacked among other dead pets like cord wood. Look into the dead, glassy eyes that once held so much life as you help load them up once a week in the back of a pick-up. Ride w/ the others to toss out the frozen bodies - once someone's beloved puppy or kitten - at the city dump like yesterday's garbage or into an incinerator to be burned up like old newspapers.

Try that for a few weeks. Then see if you want to breed. If after all this you think you're ready - you're not. No disrespect but you obviously don't know much right now. For example, a "stalky" dog is one that is long & lean. Dogs like this are also called "weedy." What you meant to say was stocky. Stalky & stocky are 2 totally different terms.

You need to find a GOOD breeder - not your uncle or some bluff breeder - a GOOD breeder to mentor you. Stay under their wing a few years. Be their yard hand if need be. You will be amazed at what you learn & if you're lucky your mentor may even let you have a well bred regsitered pup for free as payment for your help.

All said, no one can say if your dog is purebred. IMO she doesn't look like she is. Pit mix maybe. if you really love pit bulls the best thing you can do right now is spay your girl. Later on when you're more knowledgeable & financially stable, you can get a good, well bred dog & perhaps then enbark on breeding. But for now, love your girl, have her spayed & enjoy her for what she is - a pet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2006
    Pitbull219, laurajean, Marty and 2 others like this.
  18. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ABK again.

lol

19. Suki

Suki Guest

got you covered!!!;)

20. brolick

brolick Big Dog

Does no one pay attention to what i type. I'm not evn breeding these dogs, i just had one that u would consider mixed and it was a good dog. If i breed i would use a paper dog just so i'll know my dogs exact roots. And what would the size of a good catch weight pitbull be? And i probably am more from the streets than alot of people on here, thats why i'm here so u guys can school me. But i'm gonna tell u what i know. I would guess 99% of the people on here have nevr bred a 100pound dog with a 40 pounder, i've seen it happen and the litters came out nice. It may be unlikely, but it happened.