1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Info on buying pup.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by D'dizzle, Jul 22, 2006.

1. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

Question for the Veterans

I Would like to get some advice from some vets on here. I have a 11mth male w/o papers. I have raised him the best I can with the great help from this forum. I have learned alot from this forum and will continue to read and research on the history of the apbt. As I continue to gain knowledge I would also like to learn more about buying a registerd pup or two in the future, not just any pit bull but some that are from good bloodlines. "I don't want them for breeding purposes" Not that I wouldn't want to several years down the road , but now more less for weightpull comps. and confirmation shows, etc. I was thinking about registering Dayton with ckc, just so I could put him in weightpull comps. and learn more about the game, before I get some from good bloodlines. Could any of you recommend some kennels that beieve in the preservation of the breed. I would like to hear some advice from you great veterans of the game. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2006
  2. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

can anyone give any advice on this?

3. semo

semo Top Dog

the best advice i can give you is use the search feature and figure out what you want and visit a whole lot of kennel websites. Also visit a lot of members websites as there are a lot of people w/ kennels.

There are a lot of good and bad kennels around. Trust me figure out exactly what you are wanting out of a dog and start bookmarking kennel sites. Hopefully after you have bookmarked 20-30 kennels you will have 3-4 that seem good and interest you. Then I would try communicating with them ;)

At least this is basically what I did ;)

4. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Do not bother registering with CKC they IMO are not a reputible registery at all.

First off going to shows and or working events helps to get you to see dogs from different lines and network with the breeders.

Most reputible breeders have waiting lists and some don't offer dogs to the puclic at all. So you may be looking for awhilke to find what you really want

Do you want a pet, working or show dog or combo of any of those?

What qualities traits are important to you in the dog?

What registry if any do you prefer ADBA or UKC?
    Getting all of that straiht in your head first will help us better help you and you to better decide what breeder and line sits your needs

5. Re: Question for the Veterans

I have to agree with the comment about CKC, but it doesnt hurt anything to do it. As far as good breeders for weight pull or confirmation..You know me I say WILDSIDE KENNELS.....give the man a call, you will want to buy from him!

6. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

The best advice I could give you is take your time. I wont specifically point out any kennels to buy from because im no longer a believer in helping Kennels/People that only have intentions of buying or selling dogs for profit or personal gain. But if you take the advice and look around here long enough im sure you can easily be led down the right fork as long as you "DO NOT RUSH YOU DECISION" especially if you are serious about professional weight pulling comps...and also remember many people are just out for the profit of selling paper and fur instead of well bred APBTs...and REMEMBER dont mention to someone what you intend to use the dog for because usually it just so happens they will have it when they know what you want to hear...

7. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

I agree..as in the Saying...TIME IS MONEY...and whether it takes you two months or two years, make sure you look into all that comes with having a show dog...and what you have to do..what you need..etc. Just talk to people and ask about their dogs...its helps a lot..trust me

8. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

Thanks, you all had very good points. I do agree about ckc not being a very good registry, however, I don't see what would hurt by me starting off by registering my un-papered dog there and maybe learning more about competitions. I don't plan on buying anything real soon, I jsut want to learn more about it.I guess I could have put a little more thought into my original post and could have been more specific on what I want. With that said, I will take these pointers and do some more reading. I can say that I am wanting to learn more about competitions and events. As far as registry, and as far as I know ADBA is the way to go, I don't know much about UKC but I will learn. Thanks to all of you who replied. I am uploading more pics of my boy now, take a look.

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

You don't have to go to the CKC to learn more about competitions. You can do weight pull with an unregistered dog through the IWPA, APA, and UPF. If your dog is spayed/neutered, you can also do almost any of the things UKC has to offer -- including weight pull, obedience, agility, dog sports -- with an LP listing. Similarly, with an altered dog, you can do fun classes with the ADBA.

Lot of other options out there. I feel like wherever you drop your money, you cast your vote. That's why, for example, I wont spend money in a petstore anymore, even if I'm not buying one of their animals. By spending my money there, I'm still supporting them. In the end its your choice, but I just wanted to let you know you have other options besides CKC.

10. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

Ok, I have never heard of those options. I guess your right about supporting ckc. Thanks for the info.

11. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

12. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

Pitbull219 likes this.
  13. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Actually it does hurt because you are supporting their poor practices of registering dogs of questionable heritage JMO on it. You can get the pup spay /nuetered and get a limited reg with UKC and do performace events and learn just as much going through a better registry. I beleive ADBA is also now offering some sort of limited reg as well.

I hope that helps.

I'm sure anyone who shows or works their dogs here including myself would also be more than happy to share info with you too.

Goods luck

Enjoy your pup

14. D'dizzle

D'dizzle Big Dog

I agree. I didn't know of any other options until bahamut99 mentioned them. CKC is in the past now, lol.Thanks for the info.

15. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

OOops didn't see her post :D