1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

information for breeders

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Onac, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Onac

Onac Pup

This message is based on the subject of breeding. It was encouraged by all the post I have seen lately here and else where about breeding and pups on the ground now. This message is merely to help all who read it to avoid problems with their new pups.

We have a very high success rate, here at AMWK, when it comes to pups and overall health. We have brought some pups back from Death’s doors.

What I would like to share with you at this time is inoculations.

Dos and Don’ts:

The inoculations we use are a modified live virus, and it is what is recommended for the best chance of inoculation and helping the pups build up their immune systems.

Keep the pups on the mother as long as possible as the mother passes on natural immunity builder, that is why she is the mom (but let’s not get carried away with it. At about three and half to four weeks of age, introduce the pups to soft feed. Half of what the mom is eating, and half of what the pups will be raised on for the first year.) This is to ready the pups for separation from the mom.

However, I feel it is important to share the feed prep:

To prepare food for the pups:

1. Utilize filtered of dionized water at room temp. This is the key, as hot water or heating can change the make up of the feed, it has already been cook once and by all standards all the feeds out there are not actually what our dogs should be eating.

2. Utilize a milk replacer for pups, usually sold in power form, only use it at half strength. Allow the feed to soften at room temp with the milk replacer mixed in. When soft, feed. If started at four weeks, then week five, the feed should be semi-soft, and week six the pups should be nearly eating without the mix or the water.

3. At the age of six weeks when the pups are off of the mother, and never before the age of six weeks, give them their first inoculation. This shot should contain one thing and one thing only, "modified live KF-11 strain of parvovirus.” Yes, you read it right, parvo shot only.

Explanation from a vet’s standing: A pup’s system is not ready for all the shot’s produced on the Market today. Many contain too much in one, i.e. the seven way or five way shots. Sometimes pups can be killed by inoculations and sometimes just wounded, so to speak. Pups with a young immune system when hit with a broad range of inoculation can sometimes suffer blindness. A broad range inoculation can sometimes suffer blindness, which starts with the bluing of the outer eye.
    The reason I mentioned this:

It happened to one of my previous litters. And I was dumb-founded. I thought I knew all about giving pups shots, but I learned a few years back that while times change, so do drugs and findings on drugs.

What has worked for us the past few years without a problem:
    • Six weeks: Parvo "only" shot

• Eight weeks: Parvo "only" shot

• Ten weeks: Parvo"only" shot

• Thirteen weeks: Distemper, adenovirus, parainfluenza, and usually includes parvovirus.

• Sixteen weeks: The all inclusive, plus lyme, and whatever. Because by this time you have combated the main virus "parvo," and allowing the natural immunities to grow and ready the pups for the heavy duty puppy shots.
    There are many things that are great for pup diets that promote natural immunities as well. But, I have rambled on long enough. PM me if you want to know what things are great for growing pups, and help build their natural immunities.

Onac

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2004
  2. CRG

CRG Top Dog

good info onac. should be helpful to all

3. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

good info.

4. Marty

Marty Guest

Hey Onac, very good reading, keep UM coming man.[​IMG]