1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Irish terriers

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by MCS, Mar 4, 2011.

1. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Anyone own, work or have info on this breed. I have read about them but am looking more for first hand accounts of hunting and temperament of this breed. I heared they were once popular in the 20's and 30's but are rare now. Thanks for any info.

2. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

I will answer your question from the other way around. What are you looking to hunt? I know some boys out in kansas that are using irish by airedale by bd crosses. i dont know of anyone around using straight up irish terriers.

3. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Opposum, coon, fox....utility family dog. Wondering if they were just AKC show dogs or if there were rough n tough ones out there. Thanks for the reply.

4. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Irish terriers are a KC show dog...have not being worked in over 100 years, get a terrier from working fell or jackrussell lines...R

5. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

cann't be any good ones around now i would not think.just big gobby show dogs.too tall for earth dogs and lacking gameness i would think.the ones i have seen have all tended to be aggressive on the lead but that proves nothing,

6. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Thnx 4 the input guys.

7. blanch

blanch Big Dog

i dont think they were ever really earth dogs just farm dogs that could do a bit of everything

8. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Irish terriers ware a lot smaller before the show people got their hands on them, more or less the same as a working fell terrier, they ware small enough to go to ground, the KC exaggerated all breeds features, and with the Irish terrier they gradually got longer/ taller...now they are 100% show dog/pet nothing else...R

9. MCS

MCS CH Dog

This it what I read too, ratters and fox, utility farm dog. Do see from some of the recent pics what RickyB is saying about the size and being taller.

10. brindle

brindle Big Dog

Jack London wrote two novels about Irish Terriers back in 1917, "Jerry of the Islands" and Michael, Brother of Jerry", and he described those dogs as very intelligent and useful hunters. He also mentioned a smooth coat variety which does not exist today.

Like most modern breeds, they have been ruined by the show ring and that standard, which is only for looks and nothing about working ability, thus turning them into a travesty of the original breed of dogs.

For a useful varmint dog, a good Jack Russell, Patterdale, Jager or Fell terrier should do the job...

11. culabula

culabula Big Dog

i think the first ever show for them had 2 classes,above and below 9 lbs.There used to be a small black ntan type of them as well so i hear, that were supposed to be wicked little yokes