1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is Cuttin a pitbulls ears considered as animal cruelty?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by caretaker, Oct 29, 2005.

1. caretaker

caretaker Pup

I seen alot of pit bulls with just have of their ear left, i dont get it why they want to make their ears pointy..is it considered animal cruelty or what. Is it to make it look meaner, stronger, or what?
    Please feel free to post your opinion.

2. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

its just a style thing and can only be done when they are very young from what i understand doing it to a full grown dog would be cruel and i think dangerous because of the amount of vascular tissue in the ear. doing it yourself can be considered animal cruelty in most places because it is a surgical procedure that should be done by a vet. but thats just what i know to be true from what i have learned about it. ANYone else got info on it? i looked into doing to my pup cuz i thought it looked nice but i think their ears give them personality and i didnt wanna have to deal with having his head all taped up.

3. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

Nah, don't do it.

Would you want someone to trim your ears just because they thought you'd look better? ;)

Just my opinion . . . :)

4. Suki

Suki Guest

It's not considered "cruelty" per say, (unless of course you do it your self), but from an animal's pov, it really serves no purpose, and is strictly a call by its owner, based on how he/she wants their animal to look.

5. Miles

Miles Big Dog

It's an elective procedure and around Houston, not many vets will perform it... They consider it "Not nessessary" I tend to agree, but every pit I've own was a rescue pit and sometimes they are cut and sometimes they aren't. I wouldn't do it if I had the option.... But it looks good sometimes and sometimes it looks like crap, I guess it is more so an art, some vets can do it better than others....

6. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Actually in South Africa it is illegal and condoned animal cruelty..LMAO...such bull crap if you ask me...If you say cutting ears is cruelty, then spaying and neutering must be cruel too....i like both cropped and uncropped. I tend to crop my males and leave my females or outside dogs.

7. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

Well, spaying and neutering isn't for looks.

8. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

My thoughts exactly......Cropping is cosmetic surgery.

9. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

like liposuction, lol . . .

10. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

LOL....good one Luigi.
    Going under anesthetic is a risk, so why take that risk for looks? A dogs ears show a lot when it comes to how they are feeling. I won't even go into the pain/discomfort they feel, all because the owner thought cropped ears look better. Its not neccesary for conformation. I just don't see any good reason to do it. I find it cruel.....JMO

11. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

I agree completely, and you're so right about the ears when it comes to telling how they feel. I watch my dog's ears & tail very closely when they greet other dogs so I can "read" them.

12. N M PITS

N M PITS Big Dog

as long as a compentent vet is doing the cropping i don't see how it would be cruel doing it yourself now that is cruel and just plain ignorant personally i think the dogs look better with cropped ears not sure how cropping them stops you from reading their emotions thay still have ears that can lay back and stand up everything but be floppy i will say this though the one regret i have is their is no denying they are a pit when the ears are cropped with floppy ears it can sometimes be hard for the average joe to tell what kind of dog it is and with all the bsl that might be the best thing

13. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

Well, as far as the ear cropping and emotions, most of the cropped ears I have seen (certainly not all---but most), are complete hack jobs and there are hardly any ears left.

Just can't see the logic for appearances only . . .

14. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

its still an ellective surgery. unless the animal has a health issue going on it is unnecessary.

15. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

i think ear cropping and spaying/neutering is cruel.i know there is millions of homeless dogs out there and spayin/neutering is the best option but i wouldnt want my package ruined because of irresponsible humans.

16. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

It increases the dogs/cats overall health, it reduces the risk of cancer, eliminates problems from birthing, and fixed dogs usually live longer on average! Ear croping on the other hand lowers the dogs health as its inner ear which was never meant to be exposed is ALWAYS exposed. Ear crops are done only for people who use their dog as a fashion accessory. Debate it all you want but this is my beliefs on it and I stand firm. And no.....ear croping doesnt improve your chances of winning in conformation either, in fact most of the time it reduces the chance as 99 percent of judges understand a real bulldog has ears....not to mention 99 percent of ear crops are complete and utter hack jobs.

Scotsman likes this.
  17. lol im the same way, i crop my males and leave the females natural...
    but yeah its cruelty if u cut the ears by yourself with like scissors... but if its done by a vet with proper care and anesthesia then its merely a surgical cosmetic procedure... dont really kno the origin but now it's done merely for looks...

18. unless ur gonna breed ur dog, u wont think spaying/neutering is such a cruel procedure when ur dog gets cancer in their reproductive organs...

besides REAL men have their own balls....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2005
  19. well i don't know what side of town ur from but i know SO many places that do croppings in htown and do them well...

20. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

but you did admit it is merely for looks, so I applaud your honesty . . .