1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is Cuttin a pitbulls ears considered as animal cruelty?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by caretaker, Oct 29, 2005.

1. B

B CH Dog

I've never had a dog get an ear infection and know many others with the same. All my dogs have natural ears. That's just what people say to justify removing their dogs ears.

What other benefits are there? Your post will convey more meaning if you explain properly each benefit. I'm extremely curious to hear all of these benefits because I think it just benefits the owners ideal "looks". Another attempt by society to "accessorize" something.

I will be eagerly awaiting your reply.

Regards,

B

2. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I also have not had problems with ear infections, I don't see a lot of pits with ear problems either, but the more air that gets to the ears and in the crevises the better. I have seen issues with yeast in older dogs though and that would be better with more air flow. As far as pits go, the only other benefit of a crop would be the whole "handle" thing. Don't get me wrong, I really do believe that cropping is almost entirely cosmetic, but there are tiny benefits to a good crop. Dobes and Danes can have better use as far as directing their ears. Dew claws definatley get snagged and really have no purpose. Tails are removed from adults sometimes because some dogs injure themselves although that is not too common. It's all about the motive, I plan on purchasing a well bred dobe and participating in Schutzhund in which case I want all these things done. Of course this is a breed intended to protect people from people so image is important. Unfortunatly in the show ring cropping has a big impact also. I believe that a cropped and docked dog developes more courage against humans because people take these dogs more seriously and the dog senses this. Pits, it doesn't matter to me if they have ears or not chasing hogs.
    If you crop decide to them you have to pay big $, find a vet who does a good job, the after care is time consuming and if you don't do well with the bracing your dog will always have a floppy, cut ear.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Please list them. All of those procedures are done strictly for the owner's sake.

As for circumcision, you cannot compare because there are proven health benefits to this. Lesser chance of infection, cleanliness, just to name a few.

As for cropping & the ear infection excuse, it's nothing more than wishful thinking. In fact, the ear canal is now open to more debris thereby actually turning your theory the other way around. And the fact that "working" APBTs had this done for "work" purposes, that is also just a myth. More dog "workers" preferred the ears to get in the way.

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

ugh lol ok.. u made me dig out my books ;)

First off.. You are putting human qualities and emotions on dogs.. as much as we think they are ,they are not human. Do humans run around and urine mark? Nope. Dogs do not view the act of mounting as sexual unless they are mounting a female ready to be bred. Even then, dogs do not view sex as recreation as humans do - sex is for procreation. This is why a female dog will not breed with a male if she is not ready to be bred. Dogs do not have the perception of sex as pleasure. Remember that dogs "hump" for various reasons..play, domiance,,

Sex in a dog is genetically coded into them. They dont know WHY they do it, it is just instinct. They cannot stop themselves, they do not know its right or wrong..
    INSTINCT:
    as defined by the Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Involuntary response by an animal, resulting in a predictable and relatively fixed behaviour pattern. Instrictive behaviour is an inherited mechanism that serves to promote the survival of an animal or species. It is most apparent in fighting and sexual activity. The simplest form is the reflex. All animals have instinct, but, in general, the higher the animal form, the more flexible the behaviour. Among mammals, learned behaviour often prevails over instinctive behaviour."

FACT
    " the sex drive of human females is not highly dependent on estrogen, unlike dogs and cats. In dogs and cats, removal of the ovaries completely eliminates female sex drive, but this does not happen following removal of the ovaries in humans."

another good read would be this
    http://www.wilderdom.com/personality/L7-2EvolutionPersonality.html

Humans,allthough we are still mamals, are evolved much more than a dog.

5. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I did explain.