1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is my girl too thin?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by prettyfulpitbull, May 18, 2006.

1. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

When I feel her tummy it feels like all muscle(Very solid feeling).I worry about my dogs all the time.I just need to know.My friend from Highvoltage doesn't think so.

Attached Files:

2. B

B CH Dog

Your dog is the opposite of skinny. How old is it and how much exercise does it get? How much and what are you feeding? Tight stomach might mean worms. Do you use a broad spectrum wormer or just the grocery store type?

Regards,

B

3. prettyfulpitbull

No worms.5 months old purina hi pro

4. Attila

Attila Guest

Do you wet the feed or do you feed it dry. On pups I wet the feed to keep them from eating too much and getting bloat from the feed expanding in their gut. But your dog just looks like a five month old pup. She will be fine. If you have not started it would be a good time to start training it for show or pull. Nothing heavy just getting it used to going through the motions. A little at a time so she don't get bored with it and takes it as play time. Make it fun for her. She is a very pretty dog. I have a male that looks alot like her. Just a hugable little thing. I love all my dogs though. My wife and I can't seen to go any place with out bringing some new pet or animal home. Especially me. Pups stick to me like glue.

5. Suki

Suki Guest

from the angle of the pics, imo, she does not look too thin.

The pet food industry only uses ingredients that are unfit for human consumption. They make a profit from waste that would otherwise be worthless to them. Pet food companies owned by multinational companies include:
    <TABLE cellPadding=0 width="75%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    * Nestlé - Alpo, Come 'N Get It, Mighty Dog, Chef's Blend, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Kit 'N Kaboodle, Deli-Cat, and Nestlé Purina products such as Dog Chow, Pro Plan, Beneful and Purina One

* Colgate-Palmolive - Hill's Science Diet Pet Food

* Del Monte - 9-Lives, Kibbles `n Bits, Cycle, Gravy Train, Nature's Recipe, and Reward

* Procter & Gamble - Eukanuba and Iams

* Mars - Pedigree, Advance, Cesar, Whiskas and Sheba
    Another leading pet food, Nutro, is not a multinational company.*​
    Multinational companies who own dog food manufacturing companies are in the perfect relationship as far as business is concerned. According to the Animal Protection Institute, the benefits of being a multinational company include:<TABLE cellPadding=0 width="75%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    1. Greater buying power

2. Existing customer base

3. Readily available funds

4. *Accessibility to cheap ingredients*​
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. Looks too big to me. Needs to be worked out. I little muscle and a little less food and she has alot of potential. Very pretty dog

7. cemoreno

cemoreno Top Dog

I think your pup is fine my girl looks just like that she's 5mos. as well. she is out of the Hammonds bloodline (Alligator/Rufus). I have he UTD on everything and wormed w/a broad spectrum wormer. Take a look she's the one on the right. I feed them Diamond Large breed puppy you can google Diamond dog food and go to the website and find a feed store that has it near you. It won't breack the bank so don't worry. Here in TX it's what most of the breeders use they promote and sell it at shows too. the Large breed puppy variety is the perfrered formula.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  8. B

B CH Dog

Purina is a really crappy food. I wouldn't doubt that might have something to do with the stomach bloat. How do you know she doesn't have worms? Not all worms are visible in fesces. Again, what do you worm with and how often do you do it?

Regards,

B

9. PitBull_30

PitBull_30 Top Dog

I'd be concerened about her stomach being hard. If it was muscle she'd have a tuck. At this age she should have little to no tuck, feelable but not easily visible ribs, and some muscle on her thighs and shoulders. She looks in good shape to me.

10. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

API recommends that if you must use dry commercial pet foods, change brands and flavors every three to four months.

Suki, good info from 5stardog. But do any of you change brands & flavors of food every 3-4 mths???

11. prettyfulpitbull

She was wormed with safe guard.Her previous owner said her first shots etc. were taken care of.

12. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

She looks fine for her age. I'd switch to a better quality kibble however. Don't work the dog that young just let her play at her own pace and she'll give her self just the right amount of exercise. As she gets to be about a year old her belly should start to look tucked, if it doesn't she's overweight. It's also true that worms can make the belly hard, so can fat that's not under the skin but inside the body cavity. Make sure you dewormed for round, hook, and tape worms, not all deworm meds cover all three.

13. B

B CH Dog

Safeguard is great but how often did they do it? To treat a lot of worms it needs to be done for a few weeks straight. I'd recommend you take a fecal sample in to the vet for microscopic examination. You can't just give a dog safeguard once and expect it to not have worms. I prefer Drontal + anyhow because it treats all gastrointestinal worms including tape worms. Take her to a vet if you can't do it yourself.

Regards,

B