1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

It's all speculation.. until

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by YoungLion, Mar 24, 2014.

1. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

Same buddy same " conversation" says the kennels he deals with put out superior dogs to another less known kennels I have dealt with in the past. As a breeder I told him those kennels can't guarantee they have dogs better than anyone else doing right by the dogs.

We all stack the deck in our dogs favor in hopes to give it a puncher's chance at the task its being bred for. Everything else is speculation until it ain't.

"Not every team has a puncher’s chance. A team has to have enough talent to get into position to have that chance. A bum is still a bum, and a bad team is still a bad team. They don’t have the puncher’s chance. You have to be good to have a puncher’s chance."

Anonymous

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I've heard Teddy Atlas say basically the same thing. He may have been quoting another, but he has said very similar. It's true in most competitive arenas. Good post, Young Lion.

3. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

Thanks. Glad I have a place like this to share... And gleam.

4. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Very true..

5. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

can be in many respects.....but some greats can come from the strangest of places.....????????......there is some who have/had less quality tools in the box,,,yet went/might...on to produce ...????????..some make the same mistake time after time..cause they can't/won't see what else everybody else see's..?????but once a good team clicks...????..they can/do keep the pace...

6. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

.....what?

7. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

....what really,,,have to break it down for ya....?????

8. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...s-pose ...put this way....have seen bum's with a good/great dog which carryed them to the winning line, while they were thinking they were carrying the dog up...in other words the dog over-came bad owners/bad conditioning/bad after-care..etc/etc..to go over the line...?????

9. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Good thread,good can come from anywhere but i prefer a old breeder with an eye and a family that the eye created.
    Old family breeders are becoming a thing of the past, at least the ones who breed for thier own use and not specifically to make the public happy.

10. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Oh yes that does happen

11. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

One can breed solely for the sake of having a "family" yet that does not ensure quality. That would be both backward and counterproductive to me. On the contrary, I think a continuum of good dogs, generation after generation, using the best of that continuum of dogs CAN create a family of dogs.

Of course, part of that maintenance of quality should and eventually will need a scant few crosses along the way for catalyst and to defeat filial degeneration. But if the origin remains bulk and intact as to qualities throughout this ongoing process, then I would call it a family of dogs. And what use would it be to strictly be able to say you have a family of dogs if they haven't maintained their quality?

In this respect, I believe Elias to be right, and I'm pretty sure this is what he is referring to. And right again, that there are few left who can claim such.

12. keystone

keystone CH Dog

And what use would it be to be able to say you have a family of dogs if they haven't quality?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nothing lol
    ----------------------------------------------
    its about you know already more or les whats coming ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Oh yes that does happen
    -----------------------------------------
    often it goes wrong some days before the show .the last week .

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

There is a difference in top flight kennels and local guys who don't chase competition or start with top stock. To te point where they don't even act like the same breed of dog.

These are not my words but fit here:
    "Let's face it, there are scatter bred dogs everywhere that are unbeatable (i.e. Good dogs are where you find them..) but, legends are made when great well bred dogs are bred with a purpose in a program set up to assure the future of the best of that breeding! Dogs that win consistently are to be respected but, great dogs are what we all crave and talk about."

14. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

As far as true family breeders,almost extinct.The Cottinghams proved thier Teals Jeff family generation after generation, as well as the Tuckers proving thier old carver stuff.It seems that these same families (pure) in other hands tends to suffer with out that eye and the foresight to use the right catylist.All families PURE deteriate ,usually due to kennel blindness or someone getting a breeding pair of two pure dogs and breeding them for that purpose only to feed the masses.Others breed decades of dogs solely on the merrit of a famous individual they had in the past. IE...BOLIO or ELIs with not much outs, perhaps to feed the masses also.I believe GARNER to be good as any, and people who except the outcrosses on paper benifit greatly.If you dont accept them and want a pure frisco dog are probably getting the crosses also benifiting them, if they know it or not.GARNERs no dummy and understood the importance of the hollingsworth ,cottinghams and cardenas crosses ,thats why the frisco stuff "pure" is better further generations removed.
    I observed another family breeder who started with STOMPANATO carver stock and crossed it to the BOOGER RED
    blood that JIMMY BOOTs and HANK came from.Maybe due to a change in geographics ended up using the best blood
    that oklahoma was known for , a TOMBSTONE stud named Carrs BULLIT wasline bred on for??maybe its cause that
    Black Widow stuff nicked so well with the TOMBSTONE dogs,I dont know.Add the BOLIO stuff thru HANDSOME another family that came from BLACK WIDOW and WOW! A TRUE FAMILY & the last of a DEAD BREED.Oh yeah dont forget the out to a pure DIME catylist,YELLOW JOHNS bro TRIPPLE 000 RED a triple inbred son of REDBOY.
    ALL SPECULATION OF COARSE.

15. keystone

keystone CH Dog

usually due to kennel blindness
    --------------------------------------
    & tittle hunters

this habbit really came up in the 80 ties lol

16. keystone

keystone CH Dog

usually due to kennel blindness
    --------------------------------------
    & tittle hunters