1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Its No Wonder

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by YoungLion, Mar 23, 2007.

1. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

A newcommer finding a Real Dogman that is willing to GIVE BACK is rare. I have been very fortunate in the last 10 yrs to have found a handful who have dedicated years to EDUCATING the next generation of Pit Bull owners. Some have been long dead and gone, some have written books,articles,ect. All were cut from a different cloth. But one them is still living and I have grown to deeply respect as a Dogman of Dogmen.I wont mention his name but he has been in the dogs since the 40's. But what i respect most is his desire to Give Back and help the new guy.GIVING BACK is a quality that in my eyes put some dogmen in a whole other catagory. They see the need for education and in turn help the breed for generations to come. I dont care how many years i have been dealing with bulldogs three things remain the same Im still learning, I desire to leave the breed better than when i found it,and I will leave it alone if cant do that.BEWARE newcommer of someone with many years of expierence that only complains,critisizes and shifts blame to the novice WITH OUT trying to educate them or at least put them on the right track.My motto is " If you wont give back, WHY talk SMACK?" I believe EDUCATION is a VITAL part of breed stewardship. I believe in idividuals doing thier DUE Dillagence also. But i have more of a responsablity to breed than some who just got thier first APBT. IF the newcommer doesnt learn from a knowledgable Dogman they will be misinformed by misinformed people JOE BLOW up the street,The BYB, The media and so forth. And people wonder why the vicious cycle continues of breed misrepresentation,fight crazy ,manbiting curs,puppy peddling dogs with health issues,bad publicty,ECT......

THE ABOVE CONTAIN THAT WICH EVRYONE IS ENTITLED TO; OPINIONS. THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK. IF IT DONT APPLY LET IT FLY. GOD BLESS

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

That's the coolest thing I've ever heard. Everybody should have that motto.

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I liked that part as well, and agree with the post in its entirety. There are some "veterans" who don't pass on info because they are really nothing more then long-term street doggers. Far more, know, and keep their traps shut because they've been burned by too many young kids/snitches for their efforts. A small percentage, are 1/2 as game as these dogs and will continue to educate the RIGHT people, if they prove worthy. These are the men, who are a great asset to our breed, and have the breeds best intrests in heart.

I find it saddening, that one of the most educational members I've seen post on this board, has been pushed away by many of the other members becaue they aren't "nice" enough. Information is information, if someone is taking their time to pass it along, don't disrespect them because they didn't go through and take extra time to make sure your feelings didn't get hurt! I can truthfully say, I think that is the best culling method prospective dogmen can go through. You learn absolutely nothing, if your "mentor" just nods and lets you go about doing things wrong so they don't hurt your feelings. When you get shown how little you know, embarrassed and made to look like a ass, if your heart is in the right place, you will put your pride aside and be miles ahead in a short ammount of time.

The Watcher likes this.
  4. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

good post rock.
    matter fact, excellent post Rock & right on time!

5. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

mt thoughts exactley.i have been burned by a good few over the years but like 14 rock said if a dogman thinks your worthy the good ones will help you out.and the best way to gain the trust is through respect and willingness to learn.if you have that i think you will find a good few willing to help you out,i know i would.

6. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Great posts all around.
    In fact, Lion, I may have to quote you in my sig when I change it.

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have found one of those people as well, and I'm sure through this person, I will find more.

I am beyond grateful to this wonderful dogwoman for sharing her knowledge and opening up her home to me. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't know anything about real APBTs, and quite honestly, I wouldn't have any reason to be living. The only thing that keeps me going is the future, to which she opened the door. I have never been more thrilled to have the opportunity to be shoveling dog shit and walking 2 miles a day per dog. :D And I look forward to being bitched at for any mistake I should make, even if it is minor. It is well worth it!!!

7. vena

vena Pup

real good post here. It seems so difficult to get in the game if you dont know any body personaly. I have a friend who is mentoring me. He tells me just to take it slow and when the time comes, he will show me. I'm looking forward to that day.

8. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

GREAT POSTS...
    I'm still looking though so that when the time comes I will have someone with an open hand...

9. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

wow i really dont know what to say .... when i got hooked on the breed it was couse i got a rescue dog i went in to it blind and let me tell ya it was one hell of a ride,
    so i eventully ran into someone who was willing to help me out, now being the young impressionable uneducated person i was i gave him my ear... big mistake no no H U G E mistake i started to realize that this dude was nothing more than a BYBing, back alley fighting, crule to animals ASSHOLE i didnt like anything this guy had to say but i was GREEN so again my father taught me respect and i listened cause i really didnt know any better at the time ... on another note my mother taught me to listen to my gut instincts (thanx mom) and i coulndt take it anymore this guy was too much for me so i bailed and i made it my mission to educate myself and then when i was done i was gunna educate myself some more and some more.... and im in the middle of it right now just doing what ever i can to unlearn all the crap BYB #1 had tried to show me...
    and then i came here witch honestly has been the most educational experince to date ive learned that everything this guy told me was wrong ... ive cought myself actully laughing out loud becouse you guys are tearing up these ass holes and posting info on what to look for basicly and ill tell you what he is a cookie cutter mold of all the bad you guys try to warn me about he fits it to a tee right down to the fact that when he breeds his mutts he actully HOPES for a blue lol (couse they are rare and he can sell it for more) this is no joke
    so anyway im telling yall this couse ive since learned a little bit and im very happy to be here with my mutt (who i love with all my heart mutt or not) and
    when i read the original post i got goose bumps couse thats what it is all about passing it down from old dogmen to dogboy hopefulls and im gunna do what i can learn all i can and when the time is right someone will come along and help me put together all the pieces

and rock14 your statement about getting put in your place and embarresed and shown that you actully dont know shit well that happend to me as well i was on another forum and i was all gung hoe couse im good with dogs no im really good with dogs but i honestly knew very little or nothing about the breed but i can train so i thought that made me qualified to help the world one dog owner at a time and of course someone called me out and put me in my place, my heart was in the right place but my head was up my ass honestly and that was the best thing that could have happend to me couse i started thinking .... something i was lacking before hand .... so now my head and my heart are in the right place and thats a start in my book my signiture on that other forum was " you will all know me as the one that dedicated his life to pitbulls and there rights (or lack there of)" it went something along those lines anyway and you know what i feel the same way today but one thing changed i realized i have to learn about the breed first couse how can i save something i no nothing about ...
    anyway ill shut up now i hope someone reads this couse its me laying it all out there for all to see oh yea and to everyone that posted before me on this thread good stuff real good stuff ...

cheekymunkee likes this.
  10. Scratchy

Scratchy Guest

If ya don't have someone to personally teach you, then pick up a book, research and do your homework. I don't think the breed is in the state it's in because of a lack of knowledge, although that has made some contribution. I think it's because of greedy people who want money. Most people only see green when they think of these dogs. Lack of education is just and excuse that can be redeemed, but greed is something most can't seem to overcome, especially when they're making profit.

Not sure if 14Rock meant "long-term street doggers" in a positive or negative light, but I'm sure they're more knowledgable than 99% of the worlds population.

Great thread tho!

11. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

Sounds to me that you have a good head on your shoulders,,,good post!!!

12. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

Ya know what Clutch? This post makes me proud! I was one of those who handed you your ass & while I COULD have been nicer about it, sometimes you just got to yell at people. ;) I am very happy to read this post, you have NO idea how happy it makes me! Keep, learning, keep listening, you are heading in the right direction. :D

13. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

Some ppl learn what not to do by wacthing others. Sometimes when you are ready your teacher will appeare and He Might have 4 legs.When i first got into bulldogs the only people in my neighborhood that had pitbulls were operating on missinformation. as soon as i got my first dog they wanted me to fight the dog i call "THE DOG IN THE BOX". the dog in the box was a pitbull owned by a guy up the street who had hunting dogs and a pitbull he kept in small coop of some sort. he was a rednose blind in one eye and feared by the yutes. i only saw him out of the box once and then i knew why our swings in the park had blood stained teeth marks. at that age i remember thinking "that dog is skinner than i thought." now i understand he was a well conditioned dog. as for training i once read that in think it Bullyson that was trained to hit where ever he was directed, when i read that i thought of "The Dog in The Box" lets just say the dog was very obedient and athletic and i was like hell no that thing is a killing machine he aint gonna kill my new dog. i worked at asmall petstore that year while in highschool and i saw a book on pitbulls by someone named Stratton. this is where my path differerd from alotof others in my neighborhood. i studied that book religeously and learned things that are still relevant today. But REALLY THAT DOG SCHOOLED ME ON THE BREED. I was fortunate to have gotton a real good dog and he embodied the breed and held true to the things i read about the dogs. i was not into the bloodline too hard then but i remember seeing dogs names like chinaman,Turtlebuster,Redboy,Jeep,Yellow ect. and thinking im gonna get some of that bloodline. THE BOOKS DID NOT PUT ME IN THE "GAME" But they did put my ahead of the street game. still to this day i ask younger folk about there "pits" and they say something that tells me they aint read the first book. i believe reading is Fundamental. Due Dillagence and individual hunger for Knowledge of your breeds history are a must. as for greed some ppl just WONT LISTEN. but i too once saw gain in breeding Untill i was rebuked by a young dogman and convicted by artlicles written by those who Had the breeds intrest at heart. i was told to do some soul searching and see if i really wanted to do this right. i decided as have others who wont stop scrathing be it for the Breed or be it for Greed.

P.S. I believe a GOOD Mentor is where you find em' and ya might not find em' in your neighborhood.