1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ivomec Questions

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kinggatorpits, Feb 17, 2008.

1. kinggatorpits

kinggatorpits Big Dog

Hey All,
    Up until after the 1st of the year I've been getting quite the good deal on Interceptor as a Heart Worm medication...But the price is going to break my wallet now as it's going up to 100 bucks for 6 months ...I've heard many discuss the use of Ivomec and I've read all the threads on the board about it...I want to now 2 things

1. What is the proper solution to dilute it with and do I use the kind sold for injectable use to give orally? And is the proper mix 1/10 cc per 10 pounds?

2. Where can I get everything I need all in one time shopping? And If it's online are they reliable not selling me old product and what not.

Thanks,
    TKK

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  2. sapitbulls

sapitbulls Guest

I'm glad you asked this guestion because i plan on doing the same thing once the snow goes away and i take some of my dogs in to get tested first before i start the ivomec so more infomation always a plus.

3. simms

simms CH Dog

4. Suki

Suki Guest

you can purchase the 1% injecable Ivomec for cattle, at most tractor and some feed supply stores. we use that at our clinic, as well, but we typically inject it. seems a lot of people find sprinkling it over a piece of meat=chicken, beef, something their dogs really like, or what not works for them. it's (Ivomec) supposed to have a bitter taste, so some people also find countering that bitterness with propylene glycol works. (it's sweet). you can mix one part Ivomec to 9 parts of the glycol. then the dosage is (and keep in mind this is approx) 1/10 of a cc per their 10 pounds of body wieight. so, say for example, a 30 lb dog would get 3/10 of a cc, a 40 lb dog would get 4/10 of a cc, and so on. again, bear in mind, this is approx only. better to go under than over. draw it up in a 1 cc syringe for better accuraccy. remember tho, since it's use and labeled for cattle, if you f%^k up the dosage by administering it for dogs (something it's not labeled for) the manufacturers will NOT be liable. YOU will. so draw up the correct dosage. at work we double check each other by asking, how many cc's do you see. have someone double check you, and read the results you've drawn up.
    if you premix the Ivomec and propylene glycol, you can store it and keep it on hand for a few months i'm pretty sure. just store it in a closet, at room temp. if you do choose to buy a bottle of Ivomec, be sure to check the expiration date on the bottle to be sure it has not expired. and make sure your dogs have tested negative for heartworm before doing the Ivomec.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  5. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I posted this on another threaed as well as another forum.

You have to becareful with dosages. Ivermec toxcity is a dangerous thing.

I posted this on another forum.

I was curious as to the 1/10cc debate so when I went to work I looked it up and copied from the Plumb's Drug Formulary. Now according to them it is .006cc/kilogram. So lets say a 50pd would need .13mg. And the bottle we have at work is a 1% solution which is 10mg per cc which would make it 1mg/per 1/10cc(.10cc) which would be way to much for a heartworm prevention. Now again like I said it would depend on the concentration of the Ivermectin you get.

1 milligram (mg) = 1000 mcg (µg)

If Heartgard comes in 0-25pds (68mcg) 26-50pds (136mcg) and 51-100pds (272mcg) then that should tell you that even 1/10cc (which would equal 1mg of the concentration I have) would be WAY to much. And you can not say it is across the board for all dogs due to the fact that it goes by weight and depends on the concentration of the med.

6. kinggatorpits

kinggatorpits Big Dog

Thanks Guys and Gals.

7. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

What would be the Ivomec dosage for a 58lb dog and a 70lb dog for heart worm preventative? I am a bit unsure what the dosage should be...I would probably only put my dogs on preventative from June to December. That's when the most risk for HW is at in my area. I don't want to pump with my dogs with too many chemicals year round. They are discussing this in another forum I'm at.

Also, does anyone here use Valbazen as an intestinal dewormer? I want to buy some for my animals. Flea "season" around here can be pretty nasty and I don't want to run the risk of tapeworm.

8. simms

simms CH Dog

The common mistake that ppl make is that they only use prevent certain times of the year. As far as parasite control you cant beat it.... the only thing that ivermec wont touch is a tapeworm.

If your doseing correctly, you shouldnt have any issues. These parasites are not building up a resistance to wormers. Human error and lack of wormer causes infestations.

Not to mention that these parasites are transmittable to ppl. There has even been a noted case where a guy contracted a heartworm. Do some research, make an educated decsision.

1 person likes this.
  9. Suki

Suki Guest

reps to yah, Simms=that's a HUGE common error=only dosing for certain times of the year. especially you guys that have warm temps year round, you GUTTA dose 12 months of the year!

10. db_798

db_798 Pup

I get my Ivomec from Eppinette Kennels. You can buy from them at a good price and it comes either premixed or pure. Plus shipping is free. Ordered several things from them including Ivomec never had any probs.

http://www.eppinettekennels.com/ivomec.html

11. scbully

scbully Pup

i have been reading off and on this site for months and just recently signed up the other day. seen the question on here with ivomcec and valbazen. i was going to try and help some people out with what i have learned and also me personally learn some things. first with ivomec everything i have ever been told goes like this 25lb dog 1/4cc, 50lb dog 1/2cc, 75lb dog 3/4cc etc. i actually use phoenectin which is cattle and swine and is generic version of ivomec. i use it once a month. i just draw it out of syringe with needle and then twist needle off and squirt it in there mouth. i personally dont start with the ivomec untill 5 months old. now with the valbazen i was giving 3cc's once a month for one day with the ivomec. so called jumped on the band wagon and didn't read or know much about and was going by what 2 other people told me that have always raised dogs. but anyhow went outside to clean the stool up and noticed tapeworms in stool about a month ago. started doing research for hours on valbazen (albendazole) and panacur and safeguard samething (fenbendazole) and this is what i have come up with. valbazen 1cc per 10lbs for 2 or 3 days in a row, read different opinions on either 2 or 3 days. safeguard wormer for cattle is 1 cc per 5lbs for 3 days in a row, and found that on the internet, but wanted to be sure and called a big vet place and they told me they couldn't tell me about valbazen, but safeguard wormer for cows was definately 1cc per 5lbs for 3 days in a row. they say the valbazen is more toxic on the dogs and can't be giving to a pregnant female or nursing female. they say the safeguard is just as good and not as toxic and can be given to a pregnant or nursing female. to sum everything up i went and got droncit tablets for all 3 dogs to get rid of the tapeworms. i dont know if this will help anybody but just wanted to give info on what i have read and been told by a few people. if anybody knows if this is about the right dosage for the 2 wormers it would be greatly appreciated, like i say i am not sure just wanted to throw a few things out there.http://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3822&whichpage=2 http://www.ehow.com/tips_3031.html http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_canineintestinalworms.htm http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=769 this is 4 different sites that i saved that i thought were pretty good if anybody is interested in reading. hope this helps anyone.

12. i KNOW ITS BEEN COVERED BEFORE, AND I KNOW HOW MUCH I GIVE....BUT I'D LIKE KNOWLEDGABLE OPINIONS ON DOSES OF IVOMEC FOR TREATMENT OF GENERALIZED DEMO (NOT HW PREVENTION).

FOR THE PEOPLE WHO SWEAR BY NU-STOCK....HAVE YOU EVER TRIED IVOMEC FOR GEN.DEMO. TREATMENT? WHICH DO YOU THINK IS BETTER?

13. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

Is this the correct dosage for treatment on worms my dog is 41lbs

44 divided by 2.2 = 20 x .06 = 1.2 cc

A friend told me to use this table to figure out dosage

Basically weight div by 2.2 = x
    X times 0.6 = cc of ivermec
    Is this correct ????????

14. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

???bump???

15. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

If your dog weighs 42 pounds give him .5 cc's

16. Bahamian

Bahamian Pup

Hi everyone,
    I've been reading this forum and just wanted to add my 2 cents. I got my info from a few vet techs, manuals, and other books and I've been doing this EXACT method for the past 12 years.

Each of my dogs are given .0090909 ivo * lb.
    So my 33lb female gets 0.299 cc of ivo.

I have never had heart worms on my yard and none of my dogs have ever gotten sick from this. In fact, I had a femae that died last year at about 13 yrs old and she was healthy as an ox up until the last few months of her life.

I also live in The Bahamas where it is hot for 12 months so I have to give ivo for 12 months.

I do not mix my ivo with anything. I just draw it up in the syringe, take the needle off, squirt the ivo in theri mouth and hold their mouth so they wont spit it out.

I also give them pyrental pamoate at .05 * lb.
    Thus my 33 lb female will get 1.65 cc.

I hope this helps someone out.

And like I said, I have not had any type of internal parisites on this regiment since I started it!

17. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

Thanks war

18. Jelet

Jelet Banned

Are you talking about the dosage for the treatment or prevention???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  19. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

Prevention.

20. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

I asked multiple vets and they all basically said the same thing as this.