1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ivomec treatment... demodex.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ganja, May 4, 2010.

1. ganja

ganja Big Dog

hey guys!

I haven't had much luck on the other site so I'll try here...
    when I got my dog he had demodex, that my vet treated with 1 shot of ivomec every 2 weeks for 3 months when the scrapes finally came back negative.

now, a couple months later his demodex is back again

I have a feeling it didn't totally go away the first time because it came back so quickly without him having ANY stress at all lately.

so instead of paying 75€ every 2 weeks to have his shot and scrapes done, I went to the vet and she gave ma a bottle of Ivomec and a seringe.

I'm currently treating him exactly as the first time (just increased the dose).
    he gets 1 shot of 0.5 mg/2 weeks (he's 33 lbs) and I have already discussed going only every month back to get some scrapes done to see how it's improving...

but I've heard SO many different kinds of treatments with Ivomec..
    I have heard of people giving it every week, others every day even!

so I'm a bit at loss, and seeing as how it didn't went completely away the first time would like some input :)

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

its not gonna go completely away ever. There is no cure just treatment. You can also try to enhance ur dogs immune system to keep the outbreaks down. Im interested to see how this medicine works out for you tho, so ill be keepin an eye on this thread.

3. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

im interested to know about enhance dogs immune system

4. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

i dunno, one of my dogs had it a while back. i tried to use nustock to get rid of it, but it just kept getting more generalized. so i went to my vet who put him on a daily oral dose of ivermectin for about 4 -5 weeks. i can't remember how much or exactly how long, but it did the trick. that was 2 years ago and he hasn't gotten it again.

5. ganja

ganja Big Dog

I know it doesn't exactly go away... but he hasn't gotten any stress whatsoever so I can't figure out why he got it again a couple months after the scrapes came back negative other than that the vet was wrong..

I'll see how it goes :)
    next week he'll get his second shot, he doesn't like it though, it's a bit painful upon injection.

6. sparksm

sparksm Pup

I have a friend who has an APBT who has demodex. They have used several different treatments from ivermectin to dips and nothing seems to work for very long but they have started using Promeris and it is actually working. It's a flea and tick spot on medicine similar to Frontline but it is being used in a lot of places for demodectic mange. Normally for fleas and ticks you use it every 3-4 weeks but if treating demodex he prescribed it every 2 weeks for the first two applications then every 3 weeks until gone. She continues to use it for fleas and ticks as it is actually cheaper than most other spot on applications. It can be bought over the counter, but the only place we have found it was at the vets office (but over the counter there) and it can have side effects if allowed to drip into an open wound or mucous membrane so definitely read the precations. Just a thought....

7. mfern004

mfern004 Big Dog

Normal dose for treating demodex is usually 0.3-0.6 mg/kg. Might want to ask the vet about upping the dosage a bit.

8. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

The dosage of 1% ivermectin for demodectic mange is 0.3cc/per 10 pounds given DAILY for a month.

9. I live in the UK and my pit bulldog has had on/off cases of demodex since puppyhood. In the UK I find vets are not too great on how to remedy this problem.

I use a product called ADVOCATE, once a month, it is just the same as a spot-on product. Protects against a large variety of external parasites and all the spectrum of irritant mites. I don't have any boxes of it left, otherwise I would tell you the chemical name, since in America it is probably advertised under a different name. Basically, you use this spot-on once a month, almost the same way you would put on the dog for prevention of flea infestation (it also acts as a flea preventative as well, as I mentioned above)

The ADVOCATE product helps a little and I also try to bathe the dog in Malaseb shampoo, I think it's called Malaseb. This keeps the dog clean and soothes his skin to a certain extent.

My dog Brando only has mild flare ups and only in certain regions - ears, back of the rear legs. Anyone who has a dog with severe Demodex I feel for since it is a very difficult problem to get under control and to keep at bay. It's like having a baby or child with a difficult skin problem, it just breaks your heart. There are some more powerful dips, one called Mitaban which can be used, however I don't know a lot about such strong chemical dips and whether they help better in the long run...

Just my thoughts, hope your dog gets better...

10. deebo780

deebo780 Big Dog

ganga, how did your dogs demodex turn out? i've been treatin daily with ivomec for just over a month seems to be wokring pretty well, but i give it orally

11. Just to add to this, I'd always give it orally and never inject it. ;)

12. dogman2007

dogman2007 Big Dog

buy some neem oil and mix it with dog shampoo and wash 3 times a week and then reduce washes once its clears up,1ml of neem oil to 100ml of shampoo,the neem oil is quite thick warm it up in warm water and then mix with dog shampoo.

also get th dog on some decent grab.

13. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

We injected every 3 days and upped the dosage as the pup gained weight. We did this until his immune system fully developed at about 12 months to ensure no relapse. This was all under a vet's orders and a last ditch effort to save this pups life, he had no fur from the ribcage forward and multiple secondary infections. I can't remember the exact dosages since this was about 10 years ago, good luck!

14. 805tony

805tony Big Dog

The dose is 1/2 ml of 1% ivermectin orally daily for 3 or 4 months. Mix it with there food. This is for a 40 to 42lb dog. Its a long haul, good luck.

15. slim1972

slim1972 Big Dog

ABSOLUTELY! Orally, will eat it up from Inside/OUT:)

16. lansford101

lansford101 Banned

I started using vet rx for chicken scale mites on my dogs ive used it on three dogs now and its worked really well i figure if it can get the mites off and under the chickens scales out of there then should work on the dogs mites and it did i jut was the dog and the warm the vet rx with warm water just little bit then rubbum all over my pup an she dont scratch any more and her hairs coming back i dont know what demodex is but maybe this could help u folks ok shoots good luck fallahs and sistas

17. YellowJohnJocko

YellowJohnJocko Big Dog

Prolate/Lintox dip labeled for cattle and swine works well combined with the injection/oral Ivomec.
    This dip is strong, you only need to mix it to a skim milk consistancy (turns white when mixed with water) and the added bonus of flea and tick prevention is a plus.
    This dip has many uses it's not labeled for, such as healing all sorts of skin conditions, hot spots, skin abrasions etc. I worked in a vets office and we would literally dunk animals into the solution even cats with minimal reactions.

Can be purchased at your local country feed store. Or here ----> http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/produ...93CA1B5291F01549&Gift=False&GiftID=<font face=

18. dont use ivormectin because some pits have crazy reactions to it like mine. ask your vet for the lime sulfur dip. i used that and it cleared him right up. and its only like thirty bucks. make sure you follow directions and use the whole bottle

19. try lime sulfer dip it works way better than ivormectin plus thats all you need no additional medication

20. versatile

versatile Big Dog

i shadowed a vet for a year and a half so i have seen this on numerous occasions. i've had friends who's dog had demodex (usually a red or blue dog) and this is what i told him to do. Order mitactin online for 19.95. it will take a week to kill all the mites if you spray it twice a day. make sure you spray about two inches further around the area than where the hair is gone. this way the mites can't run from the spray. increase your dogs intake of raw fat (use either chicken fat, lard, or lamb fat) and the hair will be completely back in two-three weeks. it will never flare up again and the mites will be dead.