1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ivomec

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Game Time, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Game Time

Game Time Big Dog

What is the best way to administer Ivomec?
    Injection or Orally. And how many cc's per pound?

2. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I could be wrong, but, I think it might depend on what your treating with it.

3. idgie

idgie Big Dog

assuming you are using it for worming, the dosage is one cc per one hundred ten pounds. here are instructions from Ed Faron's book (p. 219):

Using a clean, dry syringe, we draw up the required amount of Ivomec and remove the needle from the syringe. We then dilute the wormer with about four parts water, cover the opening of the syringe with a thumb and shake the mixture thoroughly. The liquid is squirted on the back of the dog's tongue and we hold his mouth shut and massage his throat to make sure he swallows it; the Ivomec is bitter and most dogs try to spit it out if given the chance. Note: use separate syringes to draw up and mix the Ivomec with water - never let any water or other contaminants get into the sterile Ivomec vial.

Some people prefer to give Ivomec as an injection, (undiluted) under the skin. We prefer the oral method ourselves as the injection stings and the drug occasionally causes reactions or abcesses at the injection site.

4. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

Do a search on the site and it should be able to answer any question's you have.

5. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

For worming, my vet told me to give one drop per every five pounds if given orally.

6. Game Time

Game Time Big Dog

Looking to stop Demodex.

7. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

one drop?????

8. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

I give 1/2 cc for 55lbs of body weight. I put it on a dog biscuit let it soak for 5 min. my dogs eat it no problems.

9. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I should explain that he means the dropper that comes in the bottle. One drop for every five pounds.

10. Marinepits

Marinepits Big Dog

We used Gerber 2nd stage beef baby food to neutralize the bitter taste of the Ivermectin. Worked like a charm!

11. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

its scary just giving it to tthem

12. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

dont forget there are two solution concentrations of ivomec you can get your hands on so check your concentration before you dose up your dog.

mia and texas know a bit about if you are really interested....

13. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Get the generic 1 % ivermectin for cattle and swine.
    .1 cc for every 11lbs of body wt.
    I have never heard of a dog overdosed with ivermectin(Ivomec).

The most important thing to do is make sure your dog doesn't have heart worms prior to giving it, because what happens is, if your dog has heart worms and is dosed with ivomec, it will kill worms and when they become detached they can clog artaries and kill the dog.
    If you start a dog by 6 monthes of age you don't have to worry about this happening, because heartworms havn't had time to mature to that stage.

When treating for mange the dose is MUCH higher, and won't harm dog.

I give all my dogs .15 cc's for every 10 lbs body wt, and never had a problem with worms or mange.
    I start mine on ivomec at 12 weeks of age and give it once a month.

14. Marty

Marty Guest

15. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Here is the actual amount of Ivomec actually needed for the prevention of heartworms. So for all those that pm’ed me asking for the information, here it is……

The proven dosages are:
    Heartworm prevention - 0.003-0.0066 mg/lb
    Roundworm - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb
    Hookworm - 0.023 mg/lb
    Microfilaricide - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb single dose (Let your veterinary treat!)

The proven dosage for a 51-100lbs dog 272mcg. This is the amount of Ivomec in Heartgard (Brown Tablets).
    Ivomec 1% solution contains 10,000 mcg (micrograms), which Ivomec delivers in 1mL (cc). A dog only needs 3 mcg of Ivomec, per pound of body weight per month to keep them heartworm free!

So - if 1 cc of Ivomec contains 10,000 mcg, we can bring that number down by mixing it with propylene glycol (don‘t use water, oils, milk, etc. the Ivomec won‘t mixed correctly. So you‘ll never know the amount of Ivomec you‘re actually giving). Which actually works as a carrier agent for the Ivomec. 9 parts - propylene glycol to 1 part Ivomec. That will deliver 1,000 mcg of Ivomec per 1 cc. Then, you only give (orally) 0.1 cc of the mixed Ivomec per 30 lbs of body weight.

***If buying already mixed (Ivermecting to propylene glycol), use a medicine dropper/ear dropper & it's 1 drop per 10lbs IF properly mixed. I suggest heartworm testing once a year regardless of if on heartworm prevention year-round. If you're underdosing, it's best to learn asap.
    <!-- / message -->

16. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Follow the dosages Miakoda posted and not the one posted by others! Most just repeat everything they read or hear others say when it comes to medications-never a good thing. If using for Demodectic Mange the proper dosage is 600 mcg/kg. Given daily until cleared, and you get two negative skin scrapings in a row. If the mange is severe you should use antibiotics (like Cephalexen), don’t use cortico-steriods!

17. Marinepits

Marinepits Big Dog

This is the dosage we were given by our vet and we also used Cephalexen. Worked great!

18. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

ivermec is given orally!!!

and the dosage is 1/10cc per 10lbs body weight... so a 40lb dog would get .4cc of ivermec.

watch shooting it into the back of the mouth you can lung shoot this on accident.
    what i would suggest is turn the syringe towards the innerwall of the cheek and the teeth and push it there. that way you are sure not to hit a lung!!!

demodedic mange can be cleared up with a dose of 1/2 cc per month, every month of the ivermec...

19. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

the dosage is 1/10cc per 10lbs body weight... so a 40lb dog would get .4cc of ivermec.
    That is the dosage for? Amazing how people will repeat inaccurate dosages and quote individuals on it, when simple math would let them now it’s inaccurate information they was told, are quoting, and continue passing along.

demodedic mange can be cleared up with a dose of 1/2 cc per month, every month of the ivermec...
    How in the hell did you come to that conclusion? There is not a medical reference one that says that or recommends that dosage! Please stop passing along inaccurate and harmful dosage recommendations! Not only are you wanting a person to give their dog (average size) 9728 ug/lb more than is needed, you are now instructing them to add another 5000 ug/lb of Ivomec to the dosage? Let alone the fact when using Ivomec to treat demodectic mange it has to be given daily until you get 2 negative skin scrapings in a row, not once a month.

20. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Isn't Ivomec and Ivermectin different? One for horses, one for cows? I'm not sure so that's why i asked.

We used Ivermectin and the dosage the vet had us give was 1cc per 10 pounds of body weight (and we had no problems). Though the dosages for the other could very well be different.