1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Jayda summer pictures [GSD]

Discussion in 'Photography, Artwork & Videos' started by Blau, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Don't think I've had a Jayda thread here... I only own one dog atm, Jayda my GSD, she's a little over 5 years old now. She's got a LOT of skin issues, she's chewed a [nearly] bald spot on her croup and nearly tore the inside of her ear up, but good dog food and baths every few weeks helps it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

She's got a pretty solid build though, I like to brag about it ;);) She's east-west in the front, but if she had a stable temperament she would have made a perfect working dog.

2. Muttkip

Muttkip Big Dog

Someone needs to be brushed or shaved again >.>

3. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I wanna shave her again, but mom won't let me :rolleyes:
    Gonna give her a bath before the end of the week... Probably today or wednesday.

4. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Here's some pictures of Jayda shaved from last summer... Don't yell at me, Muttkip did it! :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. ganja

ganja Big Dog

BWAHAHAHAHA
    LMAO at those shaved pics!!!

those just made my day! :D

she is a stunning girl, but PLEASE, don't shave her again LOL!

and muttkip, you should be ashamed of yourself! :p

6. Poisoned

Poisoned Big Dog

Just so ya know, you are NOT supposed to shave breeds with a double coat, it damages it.

She's a cutie. Very feminine face.

7. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I was going to say the same thing about shaving. That's only going to exacerbate her skin issues. It's taking away her natural insulation and skin protection from the sun as well as bugs and other things in her enironment. You're lucky she hasn't ended up with blad spots. Shaving often damages the fur permanently....

If your doing it to keep the dog cool, that is a myth. It can actually make the og overheat.
    If your doing it to keep the shedding down, that is also a myth. The dog will shed just as much, it will just be shorter hair. You're much better off going to a groomer to get the dogs coat blown out.

Anyway, lol, she's a pretty dog.

8. Poisoned

Poisoned Big Dog

I learned the hard way, sometimes it grows back, sometimes it never does with double-coated dogs. I ruined my old GSDs coat a long time ago, and she could never keep cool because her top coat never grew back over most of her body, and she had no insulation... Made for a lot more work on my part to keep her comfortable.

A "Furminator" works miraculously from what I've heard.

9. Blau

Blau Big Dog

My mom called the vet beforehand, she said it would be fine. -shrug- We determined it would be the best thing for her allergies, and we saw improvement after we shaved her and I gave her another bath a couple of weeks after. She wasn't chewing any hotspots.

Trust me folks... Like I said, we knew what we were doing ;) I don't need people to tell me I've ruined her coat. It grew back perfectly. CrazyK9,I thought I posted my reasons in an earlier post, but if i didn't, it was for skin issues. I'd never shave a dog to deal with fur LOL! Isn't that what a rake and a brush are for?

Jayda keeps cool just fine, she's been great this summer. She's perfectly fine.

10. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Vets also like to recommend Science Diet to their patients Lmao. Vets don't know everything. I would've asked a groomer first. ;)

No one said you ruined her coat, just warning you for future refference that shaving can pose that risk, so beware.
    I don't get it though... how is shaving supposed to relieve allergies? :confused:

11. KDW

KDW Native Nightmare

Groomer would be very much better than shaving her, would only make her skin problem worse..
    But she looks very cute shaved :o:)

12. Poisoned

Poisoned Big Dog

I had a Schnauzer (breed with hair, not fur) with bad allergies, shaving him made it easier to keep his skin problems under control because it was easier to get meds on where they go and monitor it...

Not saying it will happen every time, but the first time I did it, her coat was F'd up forever. Sometimes it grows back perfect.

I love the rake tool... I don't know what I'd do with J without one. He's a shedding monster... Better than my softer-coated American showline. She shed so much I could spend hours with a Shed-Ender and not have it all...

What are her skin problems, BTW?