1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Just curious, Does anyone know exactly why pitbull breed increased in size?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by devinben3, Jan 18, 2005.

1. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

I have heard many reasons to why the pitbull breed has dogs over 100 lbs, and i have my own opions myself, just wondering what everybody else thinks. Yes I do know the standard is small for gameness...But there are reasons why some people increased the size....Not just to make them bigger and badder for the wrong reasons, i've heard things such as weight pull weight class, farm animal guard dogs for wolves, etc...Let me know what you all think...all opinions welcomed

2. CRG

CRG Top Dog

simple answer...... money, those big dogs and pups are over priced.peddlers saw a way to make more money.

3. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Yeah I agree, I once asked price on a cream colored rednose blue eyed male pup...not mentioning kennel, dad was over 120 lbs, and mom over 95 lbs...i was expecting somthing around 700 and it turns out they wanted nothing less thank $5000 for that pup...i was like whoa....I can buy the best damn game dog in the world for that

4. pit stop

pit stop Pup

Because "people" began breeding for size. Their have always been large pit bulls throughout history but they were the exception not the rule and for the most part not desired by fanciers of the breed.

Some families of dogs run larger than others. Over a period of time by breeding only the largest examples of the breed, some larger than standard bloodlines have been established.....and then of course there are the "pure-bred mixes" such as Eddington,Camelot,Dagger,Razors Edge, etc, etc......where other large breeds were actually introduced into otherwise pure pit bull lines, to create new XXL "pit bull" bloodlines.

rocksteady likes this.
  5. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

right on Pit Stop!
    . I research and researched to find some 80+ pound APBTs from back in the day and I just couldnt. 75 -80 seemed to be the highest ..but then, who knows what people kept on their farms

And some lines do tend to get bigger by inbreeding ... the line of McCoy dogs I have tend to get bigger the tighter they are bred.

6. dora

dora Big Dog

i look at the camelot site it looked more to imbreeding then mixes....i know a lot of peeps say imbreeding is good for dog and others have different view....i am one who has the diffent view....also i wasn't saying nothin bad tords the dogs i think they are good looking...i just have difference of oppion when it comes to imbreeding..

7. Irish_Deciple

Irish_Deciple Big Dog

I agree pit. well put.

8. rocksteady

LOL..thiose dogs are mixes. You cannot base it on their peds because alot of their pedigrees are HUNG

Even with many game bred dogs..papers got hung, jsust becuase the ADBA or UKC says its so doesnt make it so

9. hawk

hawk Big Dog

The main reason is people want to walk around with a big tough looking animal. A lot of these are mixed bred dogs anyway. If you mix any type of large mastiff to a pit the dogs usually come out looking like big pits. In some cases you don't even need to use pits. Look at these dogs (this kennels is not trying to portray their dogs as pits) http://www.aspenrare.com/AMSTUD.html Look at Sher-Kahn and Re-Kahn no pits were used in there creation. Now you could take either one of those dogs and put an Eddington ped on it and make money. Take a look at the last two dogs on this page and they have no pit in them as well http://www.aspenrare.com/AMGirls.html This is what is creating these big dogs in my opinion.

10. hawk

hawk Big Dog

Dora, inbreeding does not necessarily make a dog bigger. Rocksteady said that in the McCoy line they tend to run bigger. If inbreeding made dogs bigger a lot of the Redboy dogs would be huge. Breeders like Ironline would have huge dogs as well because they use inbreeding a lot in their program. Inbreeding has a purpose in a good breeding program if you know what you are breeding for and you know what traits you want to set. Inbreeding is used to set traits not make dogs bigger.

FYI- I don't know if you made a typo but the term is inbreeding not imbreeding.

11. rocksteady

Ironline has some pretty big bulldogs on his yard, too. Bob cat II is like 75 pounds and theres a few others pushing that lol..

What happends with inbreeding is that you get exaggerated features in dogs. There was one litter with dogs that weighed in at 90 pounds while there were also dogs that weighed in at 45 pounds. (doing more than one breeding during that week will also make runts)
    Now we've taken a few of those bigger dogs and they inturn had nothing but small dogs (whew)

This is a tight bred dog here .. 75 -80 pounds thats what I ment by bigger
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=104342

his parents werent nearly that big

Inbreeding when done right as stated has excellent results. you just have to be willing to put the time and effort into the pups and as adults and only use the best and weed out the bad from the good.

12. hawk

hawk Big Dog

13. rocksteady

maybe that was a different dog I saw /heard about ..he certainly looked alot bigger than Jimmy and Jimmy was a fat 50 .. my dog was a fat 50 and they were bigger than her .. .

Yes..thats what I was trying to get at ,too .When people say big dogs I think 60 to 75 pounds lol. sorry for the misconfusion.. I didnt mean 100+ monsters ..What happen (Rozmus' 8 Ball McCoy was 95 pounds, his parents werent that big.. he was bred to another tight Rozmus dog, Raven,whio was around the 45 -50 mark) and it was a tight breeding with some dogs that ended up being 100 pounds..MMC's Little 8 Ball McCoy, which I owned) That was tight litter with all sorts of problems and exagerations..both good and bad (allthough one of those females ended up being put to Jake and the pups are awsome ,the female was in the 40's)

And it happend with Rozmus' Black Magic when put to another tightly bred Rozmus dog.. my dog Clyde and I know his littermate Hard Drive is a big dog in the 70's... and the dam of that litter was not a big dog.
    Another son of 8 Ball (who was off an outcross) was a big dog (not sure of actual weight) they bred him to another McCoy dog telling everyone the pups would be big and the pups ended up in the low 40;s ..

14. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

correct me if I'm wrong or if I missed something But,inbreeding causes growth in future generations.

15. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

ok, then i have a question based on these couple posts. if papers can so easily be hung, then WHY are they so important to some people?? for me it is enough to know how my dogs are bred, i register them to make my own record keeping easier...... and HOW did they cros breed, and with what?

16. rocksteady

I know I had it wrong now lol.. it was explained to me different before but I had to go call an expert lol

Line breeding can cause larger dogs ..mostly because each dog even in one litter gets different genes and Line breeding is not the same as inbreeding.. allthough my dogs look inbred they are actually line bred.. dogs from the same litter do not often produce the same ..because they get different genes

17. Wayne

Wayne Big Dog

The more you line breed in one blood line the smaller the dogs will get as there genetics break down.Imbreeding though amplifys genes some good some bad.Thats the reason for culling.

18. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

What do you think is more effective culling or selling them as pet quality and on a spay or neuter contract. I really don't think I can Cull.

19. Wayne

Wayne Big Dog

I think that selling them with a spay neuter contract is a type of culling.They can`t reproduce.

20. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Yup; to "cull" is simply to remove one from the breeding pool.