1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Just curious, Does anyone know exactly why pitbull breed increased in size?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by devinben3, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

And Wayne is also mostly correct in regards to inbred dogs eventually getting smaller. It will probably be 3-4 generations before a noticeable size decrease; but while the dogs will continue to get smaller throughout generations of inbreeding, eventually they will begin to increase in size once again until finally reaching similar growth levels of the first generation of dogs. We're talking several generations of inbreeding here.

2. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

This is probley one of the most touch subjects for me...
    IMO these big so called APBTs that are 90+lbs are the poorest examples of the breed, im sure this was already said.To me these dogs arent APBT's. Previous to these big monsters coming along u never heard alot about hip dysplasia or elbow displasia in the breed. To me breeding these big dogs is ruining the breed. 99% of these 90+lb dogs could never do the job the APBT was bred for, never. These huge dogs have no wind , no stamina, and lack gamness by far. Most of these dogs turn out to be maneaters or just big lazy coach potatoes. I mean could u imagine someone attempting to condidtion one on a mill or doing road work with one..lol they would die the first day. To me an APBT is an athlete in the truest form, strong, determined, game, and stable. Their were some great, great big dogs that made thier mark take GR CH Mayday for example, he was 75lbs chain weight. BUt he wasnt no 90lbs. This topic of these "big" 90+lb dogs is probley the most aggravating to me..cause no one will ever get it..these dogs are NOT APBT's. IT is not "cool" to walk down your block with this 100lb pound beast you call an APBT,who are you impressing? if you are wanting a big dog go buy your self a mastiff or a presa. Hell you could buy three Mastiffs for the price of one of those Dagger or Razor's Edge pups. Dont ruin the breed that some of us spend our whole life trying to preserve.

hhpythons likes this.
  3. GrCh_Jeff

GrCh_Jeff Big Dog

i agree with tab.there not true apbt's...they are monsters.over priced and mutated for sheer profit.

4. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

Well, the way I put it is this. People know the pitbull is a tough breed of dog, because they don't want to walk around with an 45 pound pitbull. They rather have an 90 pound pitbull look-alike. Most people believe the bigger the better, BULLSHIT!!! And then these f****** have the nerve to get mad @ you when you try to tell them that their dogs are not pure breeds. By comparing them to a pure bred pitbull. They say "Like humans, dogs can get bigger in size, its like this man, i'm short but my father is tall, sometimes big things come from little things." So you mean to tell me a 45 pound parents can make monsters? Yeah right

Hell if thats the case, give these dogs their own name. "American Pitsiff Terriers". Since most of these dogs are mastiff mixes anyway. It just makes me upset that 90% of people think the pitbull should be a useless, 100 pound, 24 iched head, wide and low dog. They have no clue

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2005
    hhpythons likes this.
  5. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Actually there is a kennel in New England that breeds big dogs 100-120+ lbs. They did cross some mastiff into there line to get these big dogs and hung papers on the offspring. Most big "pitts" (over 100 lbs) kind of have a mastiff look to them, their head looks to small for their body.

6. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

Some photos are streched out sometimes, but most of the time its true, people really have these dogs.

7. GrCh_Jeff

GrCh_Jeff Big Dog

these people eho do have these dogs are idiots...

8. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

I can tell alot of you guys just believe the hype you've heard from someone else. 20 + years ago in Texas where I first began dealing with bulldogs, I had dogs from Gary Hammonds line and Eagleton line. There were alot of bigger dogs then that we called catch dogs, or catch weight. I know these men personally though JG Eagleton is gone now, I know their bloodlines were pure and I know they were game. Making broad statements that ALL of these dogs are mixed is just ignorant and shows how long some have been a part of this breed. Although there are some freakishly big dogs out there that may be mixed, who really knows? But I can teel you that just because some are 75 pounds doesn't make them mixed. The biggest dog I have fat is only 58 pounds.

luv_a_bull_girl likes this.
  9. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

I am not taking up for them because I own any huge dogs, because I don't, although I do have both Staff and game on my place, and I've been guilty of being caught up in the junk, (shame on me.) I am however today, thank goodness, replacing some of my junk with better dogs. I am just saying ALL of them aren't mixed. I've seen some game and I've seen more quit. It is just frustrating to see the junk being bred out there right now, it's worse than ever. I hope I don't get into trouble for posting this link, but here it is. This is the kind of freaks that can aggrivate true game dog breeders.
    http://www.muglestonspitbullfarm.com/males.html
    And it gets worse.
    http://www.woodspits.com/

10. auggiedog

auggiedog Pup

goodgooglymoogly, where did they get the shoulders?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2005
  11. pitbull-kid

pitbull-kid Big Dog

well.... first of all it's for money, the bigger, the freakier.... ie the more wrong they are from the standard of both UKC and AkC, especially ADBA means the more money,

from my research and reading, i think it's breed to certain type of mastiff

12. Just out of couriosity. I have a big Eddington dog. I have had smaller game lines in the past. When I got my dog I had just lost my ofrn, He took off after a bear one day didn't make back. When I got buster I wanted to get into weight pulling, after talking to alot of weight pullers they reccomended the Eddington line. I have heard people mention the Mastiff cross, my question is aren't Mastiff's known to have congential hip problems. If so why would they be crossed in weight pulling stock. I am not trying to start any trouble with this question, but it is something I have wondered about. I admit I did not know much about the bloodline when I got into it, but my intentions were weight pulling, and not trying to have the baddest looking dog. Is it possible that something else might have been brought into the line.

13. Wayne

Wayne Big Dog

Those pictures are almost sad.How could someone just keep breeding in genetic flaws like that.The dogs look so uncomfortable.That shape can`t be good on there hips and sholders eather.

14. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

OK, I have heard a lot of good therories here about where the size came from today, I even just recently read in a dog breed site Pitbulls range from 22-120lbs, I really laughed, and true a lot of it is from Mastiff crosses and other impure crosses especially as far as Blues and other MAMMOTHS of our generation our concerned, but is everyone forgetting the Pit Dog originally has its roots from the Alaunt from England that was used for Bullbaiting and as a Catchdog, they regularly exceeded 85lbs according to history and were bred down to the popular pit size to accomodate men who wanted to feed more dogs not feed one dog more, I have to disagree that some dogs today as big and bigger than 60-65 are totally pure, thats why I dont ever get big dogs no matter what the Ped says, but the "Law of Large Numbers" which is always right states some big pits are just that.. big pits.. but I am taking no chances to find that out based on performance after I buy the huge beast, I will leave that to someone in test mode not preservaton mode.

15. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

It dont last as long! Lazy people want it over quicker and that is what happens with dogs of that size. Yea! they may go for a bit but not like the basic 40 to 48 lb gamedog. Time is such a bullshit reason to breed a bigger dog. I have a friend that wants bigger dogs so it dont take as long.

16. Camo

Camo Pup

Yes! I was looking at some pedigrees just this morning and was amazed at a certain pedigree that after 4 generations was nothing but AKC Am Staffs. The Eddington bloodline is crossed with a bunch of currs to get a bigger dog. I bought a dog that was suppose to be this awesome gamebred dog and when I got the ped back the whole bottom half was Eddington, I blew a gasket. All this for a bigger dog. Go buy a Presa, or Mastiff, leave the bloodline alone ...good grief. Man I'm cranky today.:mad:

17. Camo

Camo Pup

You know what's funny! The look on someones face that ownes a 85 pound dog and talks smack until he sees his big boy get curred by a little boy(45 pounder). Not saying I ever seen that,:o just saying I bet it would be funny.

No Dogs Bred or Sold For Illegal Purposes!!!
    *NO DOGS TO BE USED IN VIOLATION OF THE ANIMAL WELFARE ACT OF 1976*
    :D

18. My neighbor had a dog (currently deceased) that 'he said' weighed 160 lbs. Now the dog did look like it and he used to tie it up to his car and see how far down the street the dog would pull it. Either this guy was trying to have the biggest baddest dog on the block or he was nearly out of his mind. The reason I believe he did this to his dog is because they also had a meth lab and felt this big bad dog wouldn't let anyone mess with his master. Personally I think it's cruelty making dogs bigger than their standard. If they were backyard bred and not high dollar dogs, they most likely will be a touch bigger than normal, as well with most all breeds. Forcing a dog to be bigger than normal can and will cause many problems in the dog's later years such and hip and joint problems (which are common for this breed).

19. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

CAMO! that is right! Its like the big kid in school that picks on the wrong little guy one day and gets his ass handed to him. They can keep the big bone headed fools for show. Its the people that want a picture dog to make'm look cooool! I love my crappy looking gamedogs! Theys tha shiznit!

20. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

I think that the people that have these huge dogs just did the whole selection breedings. Taking the biggest male pits they could find and bred them to the biggest females. And as time passed the dogs just kept getting bigger and bigger. Now there is a thing as to big, anything over 90lbs. is just to big for me.

luv_a_bull_girl likes this.