1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Just curious, Does anyone know exactly why pitbull breed increased in size?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by devinben3, Jan 18, 2005.

1. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

OH, and they over feed them way to much food, which adds lots of fat to their weight.

2. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

i know jawbones already covered it but everyone really should check out the rediculous looking dogs at http://www.woodspits.com/, and i do mean rediculous. someone slap these people for me if you meat them for purposely breeding such useless animals who i bet couldn't hold their on with a real pit in way. just disgusting

3. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

oh i almost forgot - this is a good laugh, my wife met a guy today who has a blue pit who he says is linebred jeep top and bottom!!!!!!!! i had a good laugh to that one

4. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

Do those people even know that those dogs look absolutly ridiculous! That is just to wide and short for their weight, which causes lots of problems like hip displasia, breathing problems, ect.

5. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

6. okay, okay i know i'm young but i'm going to put my say on this as well... from what i can see is true dogmen and pit fighters had small dogs because they are easier to control.... i mean, try breaking up two 90lb dogs that are fighting each other... anyways these dogs retained a weight that many feel is the american pit bull terriers true standard... truthfully i think many of you reading this would probably feel that my brindle male diegoh is a bit to big (65lbs and by no means overweight, he looks like a greyhound).... but as time went on, many dogfighters who knew nothing of the true sport (read into this: they were malicious, cold hearted people who cared nothing for the dogs they fought) started to breed bigger dogs by adding mastiffs and other large dogs to the mix... truth is they probably started out with street breeds and created their own kennel eventually... what's not seen is that thru the breeding process the mastiff/other breed is eventually bred out of the line while the pit bull stays with merely the size and nothing more of the other breed.... this is why many pits range from as small as 30lbs to as big as 130lbs and come in just about every color combination known to the dog world... this is also why the AKC does not have the apbt registered because they feel its still a "mixed breed" for its lack of a consistant breed standard.... and i know none who read this feel my pit steele is a true pit (he weighs 82lbs) even those his mom is full machine gun kelly (63lbs) and his dad (diegoh) is gator/boudreaux/blue bordeaux... what ever the case shit happens... i'm sorry if many feel your breed is being tampered with but hey what else can can be said?

7. uh yeah i advocate all pits but these dogs really are hideous... it looks like some one took a giant hand and squished them down... they stick out too much and are too stocky :: makes sick face ::

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

simple

bigger "pit"=bigger image=bigger ego (for owner)=bigger money to be made in breeding/selling because bigger "pit"=bigger image=bigger ego (for owner)....& the cycle goes on & on.

I'm starting to think that guys with massive "pits" are trying to make up for their own small "manhood"

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

In my opinion selective breeding and some evolution is what makes these pit bulls larger. Dont forget that there are alot of large game bred pit bulls now days then before some reaching up to 80lbs OTC. For example Mayday , Big John, Yellow,Firecracker,Glock, and Wrangler etc.. I also had a TabxWacc male that was 65 otc and a TabxBig Casey male 76lbs otc. I sold both of them as they were too large for my taste but they were bad game bull dogs even to this day I regret selling them.

10. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

Wow Mia, that is awesome!!! I feel so much better about myself now. :) The new Bolio Male I just bought for a Stud to breed to my Hammonds gyp is only 26 pounds. LMAO... Hmmmm! that must mean??? LOL.. ROFL. j/k

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

LOL jawbones!!!!!!!! :p

12. Dpres1

Dpres1 Big Dog

LMAO!! That's why I walk Tank (DDB) when it's cold out!!
    :D

13. Marty

Marty Guest

LMAO, no comment, I plead the 5th ;)

14. lilpitgirl

lilpitgirl Guest

I now there are big game bred dogs but still we are talking in the upper 70 at the very most I mean you can look at colbys pitcher who was 72(AND CAN BE FOUND IN THE MAJORITY OF SOME MAJOR DOGS) pounds but was brought in at 56 and I know that I can speak from experience that wrangler was the biggest dog out of that litter I have 2 of his bellymate sisters and neither one is over 50 nore are his brothers so I think that they do pop up once in awhile but were talking 70 AT THE VERY TOP END OF THE SCALE not 100 pounds unless maybe the dog is so hog fat it cant even stand up

15. StraightGame

StraightGame Big Dog

I think anything over 65lbs. is to big. I agree with rwbkennels .

16. Defend2DaEnd

Defend2DaEnd CH Dog

WOW those woodstock dogs... Can they even walk right? did you see the one on the stick how far it's legs stick out! I know this post is old but JEEZ US! Did you see the harness they were using so that dog could pull that car???? Those dogs look like tables!

17. wesley9

wesley9 Banned

This is probley one of the most touch subjects for me...
    IMO these big so called APBTs that are 90+lbs are the poorest examples of the breed, im sure this was already said.To me these dogs arent APBT's. Previous to these big monsters coming along u never heard alot about hip dysplasia or elbow displasia in the breed. To me breeding these big dogs is ruining the breed. 99% of these 90+lb dogs could never do the job the APBT was bred for, never. These huge dogs have no wind , no stamina, and lack gamness by far. Most of these dogs turn out to be maneaters or just big lazy coach potatoes. I mean could u imagine someone attempting to condidtion one on a mill or doing road work with one..lol they would die the first day. To me an APBT is an athlete in the truest form, strong, determined, game, and stable. Their were some great, great big dogs that made thier mark take GR CH Mayday for example, he was 75lbs chain weight. BUt he wasnt no 90lbs. This topic of these "big" 90+lb dogs is probley the most aggravating to me..cause no one will ever get it..these dogs are NOT APBT's. IT is not "cool" to walk down your block with this 100lb pound beast you call an APBT,who are you impressing? if you are wanting a big dog go buy your self a mastiff or a presa. Hell you could buy three Mastiffs for the price of one of those Dagger or Razor's Edge pups. Dont ruin the breed that some of us spend our whole life trying to preserve.

no need to commit , tabdogs already nailed it imo

18. scooter

scooter Big Dog

Isnt there a big difference between inbreeding and tightbreeding? At least thats what I thought.

19. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

It depends on what kind of "tightbreeding" you're talking about. There are basically 3 types of breeding - inbreeding, linebreeding & outcrossing.

Inbreeding is mother x son, father x daughter or brother x sister.

Linebreeding is uncle x niece, grandfather x granddaughter, etc.

Outcrossing is breeding two dogs who have no common ancestors w/in 4 generations.

20. Bakercloud

Bakercloud Big Dog

In the Illegal ring, a 100+ "pit" would be in the weight class with other breed of dogs. Matches is still done by weight right? What respectable person wants to say, "my pit beat a boxer!!" or even yet, "my 100+ pit got his a$$ handed to him by..." this is not a game style match. i don't think. Alot of my response would sound like what was written in the M vs. F topic.