1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Just curious, Does anyone know exactly why pitbull breed increased in size?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by devinben3, Jan 18, 2005.

1. DiMaSaLaNg

DiMaSaLaNg Big Dog

whats up guys?

i would like to know what you think of these dogs from gladiator kennels, these are dogs weighing from 55-80 lbs protection dogs, some came from amberlite. do you have something to say about the breeders? im a fan of OFRN's and id like to have one someday.

http://www.gladiatorkennels.com/home.php?display=2

and who do you think is the purest breeders of ofrn's out there? what can you say about matrix, larsan and victorino kennels?

tnx.

2. wisconsindog

wisconsindog Big Dog

3. Nice boy....looks to my like a honest bulldog...nice one:)

4. I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this was already mentioned, but Dogge De Bourdeaux was crossed into the "freeman" line of game apbt's. this is what started the weightpulling strain of "eddington" dogs. hope that helps a lil bit.

5. Yes, and they cross very much italie and spain blood in...for example the Perro de Presa Canario and the Cane Corso.....and the Dogo Argentino....E X A C T L Y from this we get that much big and blue so called Pitbulls....i dont know in wich lines exactly....but if you wanna know how a clean line looks....look for example at Sorrels or Boudreux stuff....:)

6. Sid Finster

Sid Finster Big Dog

I wonder what was used to breed the Woods line of deformed dogs? If those things are 100% APBTs, there is an example of some extremely dedicated backdoor breeder action.

7. they started out by taking a defected puppy back to its mother, and went from there. I looked at that site years ago, when they didn't have much, and if i remember correctly, that is what they did. take a defect back to the one who created it. it solidified that "trait" if you will in the blood. they went on from there. take a look at Thor and Brandy...those were the beginnings for them. its sad that they are breeding for a retardation...and thats all that is. those dogs are a bunch of retards...bluntly put. but they call it their "program"

8. boa1277

boa1277 Pup

I will say this I just checked out the Woods Pits website, and just about threw up. It looks like the took the body of an English Bulldog and grafted a American Staff head to the body. Those dogs cannot be called APBT, did you see the one hanging from the stick I can guarantee that dog will let go within 10 seconds of grabing that stick, he was so fat it was very sad. It looks like they are using steroids to get size, because alot of those dogs had way to much water weight on them. Whomever came up with this Short Wide and Bully should be shot, they are promoting the demise of the breed. How about Stunted, Ugly, and No Gameness, I think those are better traits to describe these dogs. If this were the old days I would match any of my gamer dogs up against one of these deformed English Bulldogs. Actually I probably wouldnt because it isnt the dogs fault their Breeders are breeding CURS....

9. PiTBuLL200416

PiTBuLL200416 Big Dog

Plain And Simple If The Dog Doesn't Reach The Standards Of The Apbt Its Not An Apbt. People Call Anything That Looks Like A Pit Bull A Pit Bull And That Makes Me Hella Mad

10. japangame

japangame Big Dog

That is probably the best answer you will get out of me......plain and simple. Bigger to some people sounds better.....but we all know the truth;) Game for life and fire in my eyes.

11. japangame

japangame Big Dog

true. Good way to think of it.

12. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I know it seems to have started with Mr. Eddington adding Mastif into his lines to make the dogs bigger for weightpull.

But IMO most of the increase you see is just to make money by peddlers. Newbies want big, impressive (to their eyes) dogs. They might not be real Pitbulls but it dosen't matter.

13. Eddington added Dogge de Bordeaux.

14. japangame

japangame Big Dog

It was just popular demand for the little thugs/gangstas to look a bigger and badder and same for there dogs. What a bunch of dummies. You just cant change a good dog. Its not right:)

15. 60-70 years ago the dogge de bordeaux were absolut stabile and healthy dogs....and 120 years ago they looked pretty much like very big pitdogs....the same with the mastino neapolitano ...it was the showbreeding that makes cripple of them. The APBT is a special line, if he lost his genetic task or get to much strange blood he will vanish. His genetic task helps him to wash the strange blood away....thats why it makes(from my point of few)sense wen Earl Tudor sayd,,the dogs make the papers,, becose paper can not tell the trues.....:)

16. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I disagree. You cannot tell me that the moloss breeds of old (the mastiffs) were the same size as pit dogs. That would mean the average size of a mastiff was about 30lbs. Sorry, but no go.

17. I dont speak about weight...I speak about look...in fact I said that this old (120-140years ago) mastiff-type dogs had the look of a very big (game bred ) Pit Dog...like for example Pit General....show breeding was not known at this time....dogfight,bearbaiting and bullbaiting where the favored tasks of this dogs......the same with the well known german butcher dog, the rottweiler 120-150 years ago they had the dogfight and bullbaiting as a genetic task.....and they were smaler and not souch heavy weights........look is nothing...performance is all.

18. japangame

japangame Big Dog

Well, i just learned a nice chunk of info. Thank youu Realone.

19. its has alot to do with people that breeding their pitbulls to the game stock AB lines like Painter which are still rather small for AB around 60-70 lbs and also the Johnson lines. They bred those 100 lbs AB's to these Lil Pits and that started the uproar in size from 33 to 50 and bigger dogs..