1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Kids VS Adults

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Aceman, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

My pup is almost 6 months now and I don,t know if anyone else,s dog is like this but he deffinetly seems to like kids more then adults. If a strange adult comes into my house he goes through his barking at them ,checking them out so too speak then after about 30 secs to a minute or so he warms right up to them. Now with children it,s a different story, he doesn,t bark at all, he goes right up to them wagging his tail & licking them. Even when he is outside and an adult is walking down the street he will bark, when it,s a kid he doesn,t?? Anyone else,s dog act this way or is it just mine,lol??

2. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

I seem to recall reading, many years ago, that children smell different than adults. Probably hormones. And dogs have very sensitive noses.(a million times more sensitive than human's)
    Then , of course, socialization is important which means the dogs have to be exposed to children. I had a rescue dog that didn't much care for children and I think it was because he hadn't been around them when he was young. He didn't like their running around and screaming. Quick jerky movements and high pitched voices can set off prey reactions in some dogs...Also some dogs get teased and abused by children because the owners and the kids don't know any better.
    I think exposing your pup to kids is a good thing to do...I have had dogs that loved kids and dogs that didn't...
    Would love to hear more on this...

3. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Hormones definately have a lot to do with it... sweat glands and other such smells dont come off of kids, periods and all of that stuff that comes after "adulthood". and dogs can tell.
    Plus the visual cues, most kids dont know to be afraid of things so they are much more casual and relaxed and dogs are very visual creatures. so while an adult may be weary it inspires the dog to be suspicious.

Diesel is somewhat that way, with kids he is much more relaxed then with adults. He doesnt bark at either but will much more closely watch an adult before approaching then a child. He also wags his tail the instant he sees a kid verses being more aloof initially with an adult. He usually warms up as soon as he gets to smell the adult though.

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I agree, mine are a bit weary of strangers (adults), but any kid could walk in, grab a dog by its ears, hop on its back and ride it, and the dog would be nothing but smiles and tail waggin's.

God forbid a bunch of midgets ever try to break in and rob the place, I think the dogs would hop in the truck with em!