1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Kirkland Dog Food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ducho13, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

Is this food sold exclusively by Costco or are there other places that sell it as well?

Thanks.

2. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

its strickly sold at costco only. I feed my dogs kirkland. They are doing very good on it.

3. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

Thanks Onion Head. I plan to import this feed to my country. Am still working on my business plan. All our feeds are corn based, poor quality feeds.

4. game_test

game_test Top Dog

the kirkland stuff gave all my dogs bad gas, i mean so bad i could smell a fart outside while cleaning the kennels. i couldnt take the housedog farting all the time either so i switched to the lamb nutra nuggets at costco. no more gas but now when i work my dogs thier energy level isnt what it should be and they gas out pretty quick.

im going back to canidae.

5. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

I would have liked to import a better quality feed than Kirkland but the prices are too high and by the time it gets to my country with all the fees I need to include, it would be unaffordable. Kirkland, not being the best feed out there, still is better than what we have right now. I have imported Canidae for my personal use in the past and was satisfied with the results.

6. game_test

game_test Top Dog

have you ever considered feeding raw or the "BARF" diet?

7. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

Have never really given it a try. I do feed chicken backs, legs, liver with their food. When I say I plan to import Kirkland it will be for retailing here in my country as well as for my personal use. Am still working on the logistics for the importation thing.

8. game_test

game_test Top Dog

oh ok, you are selling it too. i thought that would be just too expensive to import for personal use.

on a side note i am planning to vacation somewhere tropical in the coming year, does belize live up to all i have heard and read about it?

9. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

Other premium foods such as Canidae, Wellness would be too expensive to import for retailing purposes. However, I have imported Canidae & Chicken Soup kibbles for personal use in the past. Kirkland is a more reasonable priced feed, I am still toying with the idea of importing, nothing concrete as yet. After I crunch the numbers we shall see.

As to your other question, man Belize is really an undiscovered paradise. I can write a whole lot but you really need to experience it first hand. Its really unbelievable. Give me a shout if you ever decide to come, maybe we can drink a beer and talk dogs.

Regards

10. game_test

game_test Top Dog

absolutely!

11. Yes, Kirkland is your best alternative. You and future customers will get quality for your money. If the package is not lying, ingredient lists quality ingredients. Comparable kibble brands are about $10 per bag.

12. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

For you guys that feed this kibble, when was the last time you purchase a 40lb bag & how much did you pay for it?

Thanks.

13. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

we pay 21 total with tax. thats current for us

14. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

21 a 40 pound bag? holy crap, that stuff is cheap.......You can get the crap food at walmart for that price.......what are the ingredients in this food, someone post it?

15. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

These are the ingredients for the Lamb Formula not all that bad.

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

16. Since I got on your ass once or twice before:D, here is the ingredient list for their lamb formula:

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 23% minimum
    Crude Fat 14% minimum
    Crude Fiber 4% maximum
    Moisture 10% maximum
    Zinc 200mg/kg minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
    Vitamin A 15000 IU/KG minimum
    Omega-6 fatty acids 2.2% minimum
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4 % minimum
    Glucosamine HCl not less than 300 mg/kg
    Chondroitin sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg

17. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Yes, Rock, you did:) I am not looking to switch, just wondered what they had in it....That is a pretttttttty good price, if it's good food.

Is Lamb the one that most people go with? Or is this the best one?

18. Sorry man.:o

Usually formulas do not differ much within the same "brand" unless comparing "grain free" to their regular formulas. I posted the Lamb bag's ingredient list because it was the quickest one found.

If only wanting to feed kibble, i recommend the chicken formula. Lamb based kibble is usually reserved (as maintenance feed) for those dogs allergic to chicken and meat. Personally, I feed the lamb formula and supplement with chicken quarters or inners from time to time.

19. ducho13

ducho13 Big Dog

Hey Rocky, how much are you currently paying for the 40lb bag?

Thanks

20. game_test

game_test Top Dog

it costs 22.69 here in so cal...