1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

legendary hog hunters

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by F.D., Oct 4, 2011.

1. CajunCountryK9

CajunCountryK9 Big Dog

To bad whenever they are training those guys for the sleeve that dont use more realistic training/weapons.... Most assailants aren't coming with a small little tape covered switch. I think that brings the handler into a false sense of security. Most rank curs hitting the sleeve can tolerate that switch for atleast 5-10 minutes.

2. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

If this answer is to what I posted, well........
    Forget about Schutzhund, French Ring or Mondioring!
    What these guys did back then was by far more extreme than what is asked within the mentioned sports above!
    They did test their stock on wild boars in Cssr, they tested them on Bulls in Spain and what they trained for have often been so called civil (attack) dogs. That´s far more extreme and hard and asking hell of a lot mor out of a dog as the sports you might know Friar Tucks H was for example an extreme hard dog and believe me, the didn´t use covered switches to test the dogs resistance to force!!!!!!
    Just check out for a contest called "Candy Pokal" and other stuff they did!

3. gentblade

gentblade Pup

You can trust the words of doginhold about the breeder Sewerin Kennel Friar Tucks.
    I´m one of the few left that is still friends with the old man.
    He´s for sure one of a kind. He has done things that I don´t agree with for sure.
    Many people judged him without knowing the facts.
    So I want to get some things straight.
    It´s true that he tested the dogs very hard - but when things didn´t went the way it was supposed to, he was the first to risk his life to rescue the dog.
    An example that I have seen with my own two eyes on video.
    They had a male wildboar (no joke) weighing 240kg = 533 pound and the dogs they send in to catch were not able to get the right kind of hold to stop the boar, so that he could be killed with a knife.
    The dogs wouldn´t stop attacking the hog and despite the exhaustion and their wounds they had gottn from the boar.
    So it would have been only a matter of time, that the boar would kill the dogs.
    Now comes Sewerin jumping from some rocks on the boar (don´t forget no dog is holding the boar) like a cowboy would jump on his horse and managed to stab the boar with the special hog hunting knife.
    He saved the dogs from their certain death. He broke his arm and suffered some other minor injurys.
    When this happended he was well over 50 years old!!!!!!!!!!
    There are a lot of true stories, that are similar to the before told.
    What he asked from his dogs - he also asked from himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of one of if not the last living EBT from the legendary kennel Friar Tucks.
    This was the last breeding done by Sewerin ever since.
    His name is Friar Tucks Galant and the last time Sewerin saw him working in an very hard Personal-Protection-Competition - immediately after I outet him from the last agitator (after some serious testing....................) he stepped to the dog and petted him with tears of admiration in his eyes, because of the incredible heart shown by the dog.
    By the way - Popeye (this is the name I call him) was completely cool with beeing petted by his breeder (and don´t tell my an 8year old dog recognized him from his puppyhood days) or any other person seconds after the bitework. This dogs have the coolness even in the heat of the battle to seperate who is an aggressor and who is a normal person without bad intentions.

Popeye_stehend.jpg 2008-12-07-2143-22.jpg

4. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Sewerin in fact is a tough one!
    People that have been invited to compete with whatever they wanted to bring refused even if they bragged about how tough their dogs are!
    Sewerin was also the first one that brought the Alano to germany!
    I do recall as if it has been yesterday as I saw my first two Alano at his Yard in Ellwangen / Germany.
    He also was heavy into Molosser breeds like Mastin Espanol and Dogue de Bordeaux but soon lost his interest in them as they weren´t hard enough. There are a few popping up in my mind for example a dog called Türken Ben and so many others.
    Gentblade could maybe deliver you some pics as I don´t have that kind of computer skills and more than often can´t get them uploaded.

5. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

How was his experience with the Alano Español? I ask because here in Spain this "breed" or however you would call this mix, is not working as many would like.

6. Cato2011

Cato2011 Banned

You apparently haven't been on many hogs. It is a race to get to the hog as soon as the catch dogs get there. Why? because even a "smaller" hog will kill a dog given enough time. I have seen many dogs including some of my own dogs killed by a stout boar.

7. Cato2011

Cato2011 Banned

I have found a mix between a game-bred and less dog aggressive bulldogs make some good hog dogs. I had a litter of 13. All would catch hogs. About half were too DA to hunt though.