1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

line breeding/ cross breding??

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by pitman25, Dec 19, 2009.

1. pitman25

pitman25 Banned

Can someone explain to me the difference between line/cross breeding.... which is the best and what are the ups and downs?

2. Wood23

Wood23 Big Dog

It depends on what kind of dog u want. Cross breeding is when u breed to a dog outside of the bloodline of your dog, line breeding is breeding to a dog with very similar ped. If u have a game dog with no mouth u wanna cross breed it to a dog outside of your bloodline that will give what u are missing.

3. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

The easiest way to explain it is linebreeding involves close relatives, like cousins, uncles, grandparents, etc. Crossbreeding is breeding two entirely, or nearly unrelated dogs. Linebreeding for the most part is done preserve traits you want to keep and eliminate the ones you don't. Crossbreeding is done to combine traits you want to bring out and maybe find some you didn't know were there. Others know way more about the subject than me but this is a quick overview.

4. Wood23

Wood23 Big Dog

Your explanation was better than mine well done.

5. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

To the OP, PLEASE USE the search tool... This topic is on this site many times over... If you still have questions then post... Thanks!

6. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog