1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Little dogs?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Mouser, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Mouser

Mouser Big Dog

Hello, I'm Mouser and new to this forum. I am currently wanting to get another bulldog, after not having one for about 6 years. Who has the smallest dogs? I really hate what I have been seeing as of late, with all of these mis-shapen giants, that can't even walk right. SO, does anyone know where to come by a true to form small bully in western, KY So.,IL or SE, MO. thanks in advance, Mouser

2. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I would check the apbt rescue sites. Due to all of the BSL in various states, the shelters are full. They have links to sites in Arizona on this website. Dogs anywhere from 4 months up. Wonderful, beautiful dogs that really need a good home. There have been people on here trying to place their dogs in good homes as well. Individuals. Just look back in the archives.

We just took in 2 pits at the shelter where I work. One female, about 35lbs, brindle, spayed, all her shots, the works. A male 60lbs, black w/white on face/chest/feet, neutered, very nice dog. His owner is military and is getting deployed to Germany where pit bulls and their types are banned. The female was found walking down the street dragging a chain. She is really sweet. Fetches, really loves people and so far doesn't seem to be real animal aggressive.

3. kgip2k

kgip2k Guest

How small are you calling small?

4. Mouser

Mouser Big Dog

I'm looking for a female in the low to mid 20's. I know that's small, but I also know they are out there. Brat Pack, thank you for the suggestion, and it's a good ideal, but I'm a long way from AZ and I don't know of any pitbull rescues in my area. It's always worried me getting a dog from the shelter, just because herititary, and behaviour problems. I have in the past taken in adult dogs, but I knew there bloodlines, and how they were brought up. Mouser

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Mouser, I must say I understand where your coming from as I love small dogs too...but I wouldnt buy a dog from a breeder just because its "mini" this is just as wrong as someone breeding big blue curs. I am just the opposite-if all I'm looking for is a good companion and what-not, I always choose the rescue dogs. That way you know for sure the tempermant before you bring them home. Always better than bringing home a pup and finding out 2 years down the road he will always be shy and a biter, ya know? Just my 2 cents....

apbtluver likes this.
  6. Mouser

Mouser Big Dog

That's why, I'm looking for a kennel, that is consistantly producing small dogs, not just a runt that comes out once and a while. I know that alot of the Bolio dogs throw small when inbred. I already stated why, I'd be hesitant to get a rescue dog. Of course you can't read inflections in my voice as I type this, and I hope I ain't coming off smart. I have always enjoyed raising them from pups, and forming them into the dog they were meant to be. I am curious as to why the smaller dogs haven't got more of a following, they are alot easier to keep, and way less trouble from the authorities, can you just see them, "Oh look the Killer 20 lb. pitbull." I wish they would revert back to the way they were originally. Still looking, Mouser

7. thablacksheep

thablacksheep Big Dog

I didnt know that there were 20-25 lb. pits consistently being bred within someones program. Don't see the purpose for it either.

8. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Becasue the dogs arent bred for size.. they are bred for working ability..

9. thablacksheep

thablacksheep Big Dog

my point exactly

10. Mouser

Mouser Big Dog

Look back at the historical pics, almost all of the dogs were small, again, I'm talking about a female, males would be a bit bigger, but not much. So, if your thinking what's the point, tell what's the point of a 80-100lb. dog? Even what most folks consider normal at 65lbs. for a male, would have been huge in the early 1900's. Just to be clear, I'm not wanting one for anything illegal, just a good pet, that is easy to handle, and the size they came in originally. Still Looking, Mouser

11. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

I belive there is a kennel somewere online that is breeding stuff down from "genes lug por" bred for show and pull that are consitently in the low 20's. not my cup of tea but hey.... Now on the other hand if a little one popped out of a couple of good proven dogs Id like to keep the little fella and see how he'd turn out lol.

12. thablacksheep

thablacksheep Big Dog

I took a look at some of these historical dogs that your talking about and guess what, that was history. Times have changed from the early 1900's to the early 2000's.
    I don't know the majority of the folks your talking about but I would consider a conditioned dog over 45 lbs. to be on the bigger side.

13. rpk

rpk Big Dog

Times have changed. Sometimes you have to sacrifice size for the more important traits such as gameness and health and temperment. Try wildside kennels some of their dogs run small.

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Try to find a good little bulldog from a reputable breeder who breeds for all the right things, but whose dogs just tend to run on the smaller size.

Reputable breeders don't breed for small dogs just as they don't breed for oversized huge ones. Size follows function (form follows function).

15. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

i love my little ones, my smallest goes 29 pounds lean & fit, hes a good little bulldog. they can be a little easier to control compared to the big guys lol (big to me is 54 pounds - my largest)

16. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Mia said it all. Little dogs are great, and all else being equal I would love to own a yard full of them. However, with such a small gene pool the best dogs arent small, and therefore I would find myself sacraficing more important traits just to get the small trait. This is the reason there arent many small dogs, but they do exist. Dogs historically werent as small as you may think. Take a look at Armitages' "30 years with fighting dogs" the majority of those dogs conditioned (which they generally took them even lighter than today) were usually in the 40-50 lb range. Small dogs did exist but not quite as frequently as most people would be led to believe IMO. If you enjoy little(10-15 lb.) game animals who are good companions and still bred for working ability....pm me and I can give you some info.

17. rocksteady

not to mention that back then they took the dogs weight down moreso than in later times...

18. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

...I believe I tried to say that in my post RS. "the majority of those dogs conditioned (which they generally took them even lighter than today) were usually in the 40-50 lb range." LOL thats what I meant anyways...they shaped a dog much thinner then than most do now. Hell, dogmen in the 70's went lighter than men do now.

19. rocksteady

lol dang those speed reading classes.. I better go get my money back ;) srry about that rock..

20. Mouser

Mouser Big Dog

I know what I'm looking for is on the smaller end of the spectrum, but I'm having a hard time even finding mid 30's for a female. It's a shame everyone nowadays thinks a pitbull has to be big. Mouser