1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for first gamedog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Gamedoggreenhorn, Aug 7, 2021.

1. What bloodlines are typically smaller 30-40lbs with a great temperament with humans but still game and can do what they were made to do thinking about getting something from TG because I don’t know squat also is it better to get a puppy for a first time owner or a grown dog I’ve had a lot of experience with hunting dogs but not these guys still learning as much as I can

JcLazyX210 likes this.
  2. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

Ever thought about a Patterdale terrier? Game as they come(typically) and are incredible hunters which you have experience with. Maybe poke around this cornucopia of a site and a lot of your questions will be answered. For the most part game dogs are small and will do what their meant to do. Roll the dice- that’s all you’re really doing anyway.

Gamedoggreenhorn likes this.
  3. FrozenEli

FrozenEli Top Dog

Probably the same guy that wanted the big dogs that was banned.

Dusty Road likes this.
  4. Holocaust

Holocaust Match dog

Doesnt take much internet pretend guruing to see a patterdale isnt the dog dude wants. Idk why everyone is so against anyone owning a bulldog but them.... especially when 90% of the shit they say is read and repeat stupidity and stories of their own incompetence

CodyScott and JcLazyX210 like this.
  5. Nah man just a young guy trying to learn more about these dogs I wasn’t born into them but I find them to be extremely fascinating

6. I live in a extremely rural area and have enough competence to realize these dogs normally don’t play nice with other animals I admire their traits but don’t want to get cheated and get some garbage dog that doesn’t have a good temperament or that isn’t what the breed was supposed to be

7. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

Well, considering we come into this world a blank slate, and all our behavior is “learned behavior” I’d say your assessment is fairly accurate. At least the brighter people will read/analyze information before regurgitating it to the rest of the world. If you have a better way of receiving information; I’d love to hear it. Oh sure, experience. So I’ve shared my experiences of owning these dogs, and it’s not always pleasant. I’m not against ANYONE owning these dogs. I’m against them not knowing what they’re getting themselves into, and it’s the guys who have dealt with these dogs who are obligated to offer the information. “You can’t know, if you don’t know”. You wouldn’t buy a Ferrari when a civic would do the job, would you? Maybe you would because you’re against people reading to gather information. Lol. Buy that fucker and wrap it right around a tree because you had ZERO clue what you were getting into. Anyway, off I go to rest my head on a book and hopefully begin the process of learning through osmosis.

8. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

So here’s the thing. Let’s say you get ahold of an extremely hot game dog. This dog has a phenomenal temperament(with people). That’s what you want right? Forget walking the dog down the street without it being muzzled. Forget getting another dog unless you have them separated at all times. He/she will have to be your only exclusive house pet. Because of my incompetence I’ve had a female eat through two walls to get to another female. Down a dog, and hours of work repairing my walls. You’ll have accidents, anyone will tell you they’re bound to happen. My dogs were so sweet and would lay on your chest like a kitten, but literally kill anything and everything they could. Made traveling a nightmare. Not to mention the severe separation anxiety. Snap welds on my kennels. Now I’ve got a 10 year old male pit, and an 8 month old AB. I can run them on the quad together, take them swimming, watch my kid in her sandbox, whatever really. Now- that’s not to say things will always be this way. My male AB is intact and there typically slow at developing. I won’t see his true colors until about 18 months. At which point I’ll make the necessary adjustments. All I’m saying is that unless your competing in some type of arena; you’ll want something with less drive. There is just no need for the average human to have a game dog. If you’re a recluse with no friends, or interactions with other animals- have at it. I own 25 acres and my boys chill in the yard all day. My wireless E fence works great, but not for a game dog. They’ll run right through it. I’ve made plenty of mistakes and I’m just the dude that’s willing to admit it. I love the little fuckers because of their drive, and hate em for it too. Good luck on whatever you decide, but don’t let some peddler sell you a dream.

CodyScott and 80BOWTIE like this.
  9. I appreciate the honesty and will take all of it into consideration thank you

10. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

A game dog is more of a lifestyle change than anything. They just don't fit in unless you make all the changes. You can curb some of their tendencies and even hide them for years, but like it was said, bad things usually happen when they are treated like a regular pet.

Some work out fine that being treated that way but they are not the norm. Not every one of them are blood thirsty killers but not everyone can frolic in the dog park neither.

Basically if you allow them to make your life harder, they will. There are not many animals/pets that force you to make all the changes but these can be one.

I think that is the approach in the response, not being negative or not wanting someone else to own one, it is just not the best situation to jump right in. I was 10-11 years old when I touched my first pit bull. Looking back, (and ask my wife) it can be considered the worst day of my childhood. LOL

Good luck.

S

CodyScott, BTK1993, AGK and 1 other person like this.
  11. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

What I see nowadays is pretty much the norm for folks wanting these dogs. They read about them online then join a forum and ask strangers their opinions. Fascinate about them usually get answers they don't really want. Next thing out there mouth is " I'm going to xyz and buy a dog" this to me is the wrong way to go about it. I can't remember the last time I read or hear about someone actually getting out the house and visiting a yard. Going to see them for themselves spending time with folks that have what they looking to get into. Making friends with guys that keep the dogs. If folks are selling dogs it's more than likely they are willing to take some time and sit down and talk dogs with a fella. This is very critical especially if you're green. That's the time when doors will open. Sure I'm showing my age but remember when I would open up a magazine or even the bargain trader find someone that I could drive to and open up a new door. The same principles apply today it's just most want to point and click then run that credit card. What made the dogs so great was the folks with them and the good times spent with them around the dogs.

BTK1993, Blackpoison, Sleep and 2 others like this.
  12. Sleep

Sleep Big Dog

@ben brockton ....man you hit it on the nail with this response Im probably not as old as you but going to different legends and dog men that's been thru the thru and thru means alot...sitting down and learning for years not in a visit multiple visits and talks and lesson...I've took notepads and took notes like I was in high school and college again listening to every detail...I've been intrigued with the breed since I was a early teen...I'm in my mid 30s now and it took me this long to finally say I have my own yard and new lifestyle...cause these dogs are more depended on you more than ya children....they'll get into in and everything if u dont have time to work off much needed energy these dogs maintain from a early pup...to all youngn me included if you dont want to sacrifice and be all in...dont get into these DOGS AT ALL.
    .BE HURTING THE BREED MORE THAN HELPING

13. Thank you gentlemen next step is to meet someone who has these dogs and learn some more I appreciate it

Sleep likes this.
  14. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

That's the ticket put in the time and effort outside the computer. Go to some shows and network with folks. Study animal husbandry and biology nutrition. Get around the dogs and folks. Over time the truth will reveal itself. This will save you from the bullshit and if folks see you really about it you just may end up a pretty good bulldog man.

Sleep and CopperOFRN like this.
  15. Best advice I’ve gotten so far I appreciate great way to go about it

16. Fantisma

Fantisma Pup

Do yourself a favor. Get a jack russel or patterdale like one guy said. Save yourself waste of time and trouble. As only about .01% of idiots ( yes I mean idiots as we are and can’t live without if free or alive like addicts) got into the breed and can’t get out. Get a jack and start drug habit you be better off

17. BRAD_SA

BRAD_SA Pup

:))=D>