1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Lure Coursing

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by genevieve, Aug 4, 2008.

1. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

Took my boy and one of my female Presas coursing today. Comments from the Sight Hound owners included:

"that pit bull can run"
    "ran better than many sighthounds do"
    "are you sure this is their first time out?"
    "that is a stunning AmStaff"- NO he is a stunning PIT BULL!
    "look at that dogs condition, he looks amazing"

Anyone who has a club in their area and a drivey dog should try it. Tons of fun, hardest part is getting your dog off the lure :D.

Genevieve

2. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

How'd you find a club in your area? I'd like to take my dogs out for a try...

3. koening

koening Top Dog

That is a great ideea . I always tought about how an APBT would do in a race like this . Just goes to show , anything your dog can do , an APBT can do it better :p:D

4. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

I found the club near me through word of mouth, but I am sure google would help as well.

If breeds other than sight hounds can run depends on the club. Some are all breed clubs that welcome everyone, others are sight hound only. Only sight hounds can compete in official races/ events.

There are two types of coursing, the one where they chase the bag around the field making lots of turns and the 200 yard straight away.

Genevieve

5. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Sounds like fun, way to represent.

6. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

There's one north of us in Tallahassee.

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I'm glad they had fun! It's great physical exercise and a great mentally stimulating one as well.

As for this:
    ASTs ARE 'pit bulls'. APBTs are 'pit bulls'. SBTs are 'pit bulls'. BTs are 'pit bulls'. ;)

8. ewwies

ewwies Pup

omgsh.. my dog went NUTS... the first time his was nutty.. and went crazy in line...

the second time... OMGSH he was 10x worse.. barking, lunging, foaming at the mouth for 20 minutes straight!! and he still ran after it. haha.. on our way out he even tried squeezing his fat head through the gate later that day.

I enjoyed watching him.. and i want to do it again. just for fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  9. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I wish we had a course nearby. Tess is a fast little dog.

10. jdp204

jdp204 Pup

<table align="center" border="2" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td height="38" width="50%">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Apalachee Coursing Club, ACC
    Region 7, Member
    John Bruntlett
    5421 W.W.Kelly RD.
    Tallahassee, FL 32311
    850-877-3565
    yiilyiin2@earthlink.net
    [/FONT]</td> <td height="38" width="50%">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greater Ocala Gainesville L C Assn, GOGLC
    Region 7, Member
    Alice Vesely
    1016 Crystal Lake Rd.
    Lutz, FL 33548
    813-909-8967
    allegrov5@aol.com
    [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td height="19" width="50%">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sunshine State Coursing Club, SSCC
    Region 7, Affilate
    Susan Kort
    895 Pearl Dr.
    Mt. Dora, FL 32757
    352-735-2269
    Sunfiregreys@aol.com
    [/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table>

11. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

I need an education in coursing. Don't know what the hell it is lol. Can someone put up some pictres of dogs doing this type of work so those unfamilure with the sport can get a beter grasp of the sport

12. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

13. jdp204

jdp204 Pup

Its a plastic bag that gets pulled across a field and the dogs chase this "bunny". its attached to a line and pully system with a motor at the end. I think thats it anyways