1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Maintenance Feed

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ohpitbulls, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

Im going to keep few of my friends dogs on my yard for a few months.
    Guess what ? I'll be be paying for feed.

So im looking for a GOOD MAINTENANSE FEED a GOOD PRICE ?

2. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

dog chow a sams club 50lbs for $20 cant beat the price

3. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

what about Canidade ?

4. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

canidae isn't a cheap "maintenance feed." it's as expensive as totw, wellness core, and evo.

5. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

thanks.....

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

sams club or diamond. personally some of my dogs stomaches didnt agree w diamond and others did fine.

7. jumper3202

jumper3202 Big Dog

Diamond naturals chicken n rice

8. Christy

Christy Big Dog

Kirklands chicken and Rice, Diamond, Black Gold or check you local feed stored

9. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Yeah! I hate diamond , my dogs looked like shit on it.

10. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

All those feeds are more expensive, best bang for the buck is Dog Chow and they look good. u save the weight circles and u recieve points and redeem them for $7 dollar checks. I end up only paying $14 dollars for a 50lb bag.Where u gonna get that nowadays?

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

r u talkin bout purina?

12. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

I know dogs take to certain foods differently, some may do good on an "premium" feed some may not. Some may even look/do better on crappy feed. I've been feeding Canidae for awhile now and dogs are doing great on it. I may give Kirklands Chicken & Rice a try just cause of the price, the ingredients look decent & I have a friend that's been feeding it and his dogs are doing well.

Ohpitbulls, by comparing the ingredients, i'd try Kirklands before the Dog Chow, JMHO. I think a 40lb bag of Kirklands chicken and rice is close to $25 here, so it's a little more expensive than Dog Chow, but for a maintenance feed you can't beat the price. Hope this helps, good luck ;)

13. spliff

spliff Big Dog

guess it depends how good of a friend he is.
    i wouldn't feed dog chow if it was the last kibble on earth
    look at the First several ingredients:

Corn
    Poultry by product meal
    Corn gluten meal
    soybean meal
    beef tallow
    brewers rice
    what good is that gonna do for a dog?you might as well give them a beer and a happy meal.

14. jumper3202

jumper3202 Big Dog

Diamond all naturals 23.99 per 40 lbs no wheat no corn no soy and processed with purified water or i wld go with black gold

15. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

is black gold corn based? think i remember is was
    my brother feed purina to his dogs and they look great
    still its corn based so i dont fool with it

16. Diamond, I still haven't had one dog that didn't do well on it. People say this but have no reason for it, I have had dogs from one side of the country to other side, I have obtained dogs that were fed TOTW to Ol Roy and switched them to diamond with no problems at all. I think when people talk bad about diamond, they are not giving their hounds enough time to adjust. Any dog switching feed might have a problem for a bit but it settles down usually any dog of mine who needs a special food or anything of the sort gets culled. Why keep weak links, I know ohpitbull this is a different scenario because you are doing a solid.

17. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

I feed Diamond Naturals Chicken an Rice to MY dogs lol but was thinking about feed THEIR dogs Diamond Hi-Energy or Diamond Maintenance. What do you guys think about these two ?

18. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I've fed just about everything. Personal favorite is TOTW but its pricey.

Few months ago I bought 80lbs of Dog Chow (green bag) it was on sale buy 1, get one free. Haven't had any problems with it. I add fat because its winter and there's a low fat %. Another cheap feed is retriever green bag from tractor supply. Again I could care less what a website rates it but a yard full of dogs was fed on it adults and pups and they all had great shiney coats, high energy and small shits.

I've fed Ol Roy brown bag when money was tight but didn't like what it did with coat/shits but my dogs went to sleep with food in their bellys.

Guess it depends on what "maitenence food" means to you. Is it more food per $?

19. Luk8272

Luk8272 Big Dog

I have some outside mutts that I feed Retriever, about $20 for 50lbs here at tractor supply.