1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

making a flirt pole?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by NEohioPit, Jan 26, 2008.

1. NEohioPit

NEohioPit Pup

What exactly do u need to make a flirt pole?

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Very easy ;)

Any long solid object

And something to chase on the end.

Some prefer to run a peice of rope through a long peice of pvc pipe. Tie a knot on both ends of the pipe so the rope can't be pulled through. Leave enough rope hanging below the outer knot, to tie a toy/hide/whatever.

Myself, I have an extendable aluminum pole. Spare peice to clean swimming pools. Took a few heavy duty bungee cords, and put one end with the S hooks through the holes in the pole. Bend them shut, so they can't come out. Ran the bungee cords through a rag, and looped the other end of the cords back around. Very rarely will any dog catch the toy, unless I want them to. Because of this, it doesn't need to be as solid as a springpole. The main concerns are whatever they are biting, or can bite, will not injure their mouth. No chains, or other solid connection peices close to the chase object.

Use whatever you've got laying around. So long as you have a long, sturdy pole of some kind, some rope, and a rag, you're in business.

Dogs love the work, just don't overdo it. For the first few weeks, only let them chase it for a few minutes. They aren't coordinated enough for quick manuevering, and can roll/sprain an ankle, jump and land on their backs, things like this.... if they don't ruin their pads first.

3. NEohioPit

NEohioPit Pup

thanks, im assuming you occasionally let them get the toy to keep them interested right?

4. Tonka03

Tonka03 Big Dog

yes... they have feel they have accomplshed there goal in catching the "prey". it is a work out for you and them and they will completely love it. they will never get enough of it if they love it :)

tony

5. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

just made pics of what im doing - this is the flirt pole but i didn't finished yet
    [​IMG]

6. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

flirtpole + air chambers for springpole

[​IMG]

7. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

also better keep it short but intense and stoping the exercice when the dog is in its peak and wanting more.

i got diane jessup dvd spring pole and flirt pole and she gives some nice tips about construction and introducion dogs to flirt and spring pole

8. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

i like to use it inbetween walks....take her out for a mile, bring her back, let her chase it for 5 minutes (that's all it takes if you use it right, should tire them out real quick) then walk her another couple miles.

when it was still warm outside, it really helped her to learn to breathe more controlled to cool down while on her feet (walking after the flirtpole).

you use it a couple minutes every other day, never over-doing it, and you WILL see results in as little as a few weeks.

aubrey's shoulders and rear legs are chisled.

9. you know until a few months ago i didnt know there was a name for this. i played with my pits all the time with an old fishing pole with a bit of squirrel tail on the end. it was fun until norah caught the squirrel tail and ate it :( i am going to have to make a new (better) one now

10. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

ROFL, cant stop laughing lol.

I did mine with fishing pole and a rope and its working, i'll make a movie on weekend and upload to youtube :)

11. apbtproud

apbtproud Pup

Mine only lasted two days, the first day it was great he loved chasing the cow hide, I only did it for about 10 min and he wanted more... Then the day after he was chasing it and baam got the cow hide man he didn't want to let it go, but he figured out each time I would run with the stick and on a corner he would do a fast turn and jump to get it. All I felt was the crack and there went my stick, :(
    I am going to the store to get a PVC pipe..
    My dogs love it though...

12. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

I have 2 different ones (1 = 3/4 inch pvc and the other is 1 inch pvc)

I start with a good chase with the thinner pole. Let em catch it and then begin tugging. I hold the end at different angles (to work different muscles) and pull back at different strengths based on each dog and what it's doing at the particular time. My neighbor calls it "fishing". Sometimes I let all 4 feet touch ground, sometimes just 2 feet.

After a while I'll break em off (w/ a breaking stick) and do it again...

After about 10 minutes or so w/ the thin pole I switch to the thick (and more resistant) pole and work w/ that one for about 5 - 8 more minutes and not only does the dog get a work out but I sure do as well.

If we're looking for peak condition I combine this w/ a 40 - 60 minute nice paced hand walk...

edit: I like the tugging more and chasing less method because I've had a few dogs damn near tear my knees off. the get so intense and focused on the end of the rope that when their slashing back and forth they do not see me or my knees. A 40 to 55lbs missile hitting my 41 year old knees could be a dissaster!

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  13. Howzit

Howzit Guest

PVC pole is alright for smaller dogs under 40lbs but when you work out the bigger and stronger dogs it can break after awhile. The best is a good size piece of Bamboo stick with a cow or boar hide at the end. Dogs go crazy on the boar hide as the wild scent of the boar brings out there wild hunting instincts plus boar hide is thicker and more tough then cows hide and it last very very long.

14. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

You can also get a lunge whip or a buggy whip for a horse at the feed store or saddle store and tie your toy to the end. Our guys weigh about 60 lbs and they haven't managed to break it yet.
    Any squeaky toy works for us. They rip the squeaky out pretty quick but will chase the toy until nothing is left.

15. BIGTEXAS

BIGTEXAS Big Dog

16. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

BT, Thats not a flirt pole, thats not even a spring pole. Hope your not upset at what I just said but its neither one of the two. I you get a coulpe of c clamps and a small garage door spring and attach it inbetween the rope and whats shes grabing she would benifit a whole lot from just that addition. Not trying to put you on the spot or nothing just good info. IMO.[​IMG]

17. BIGTEXAS

BIGTEXAS Big Dog

hey no problem mac..not upset....i know its not a flirt...just hung a hide on a tree so she could have a little fun...but thanks for the tips...