1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Meat grinders

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by CopperOFRN, Sep 13, 2023.

1. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

So who’s bought a commercial meat grinder and starting whacking deer and other critters to subsidize food cost. I’ve got the best deal you’ll get from my local butcher$(1lb) and I’m still at $700 a month. I’m thinking between hunting and fishing I could really cut it down. Anyone ever go this route?

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

How many dogs you feed?

3. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

8 adults, 4 pups.

4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Let's call it 9k a year that you spend on your feed program right now. That's literally That's 4 whole cows butchered. You're looking at 3k+lbs of beef + 1500lb of organs and bones. When in reality feeding raw is done in oz and working You're hard pressed to feed more than 16oz. Even if you got frozen chicken 1/4 from Walmart by the month your not spending 9k a year. Your hustling backwards my man.

5. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

Yea- I’ve gotta do something. $1 lb seems great and isn’t bad for a few dogs. But I plan on a bigger yard so I’ve gotta subsidize it some how. Gonna start experimenting with grinding small amount of fish and meat and see how the dogs take to it. Shit, they’ll eat 8 week old eggs that have been in the sun- shouldn’t be too bad

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I do it in the fall/winter. I Don't grind anything though. Usually I'll just chuck em a chunk of animal. You must feed a lot of dogs. Hell, I got 9 and it costs me about $140 a month. (kibble). I can make a modified version of satin balls that is fed as a raw diet meal that will feed them all for around 60 bucks every 10 to 12 days. Pain in my ass though and I can't move my fingers for several days after making them (arthritis) so I don't do it often. Just for maybe a month out of the year or so. I use it mainly to put weight on them in the fall. Wild game though, if you hunt or know hunters, can really chop a feed bill in half or more. As far as grinders go, I'd look at the sport stores like gander mountain etc and buy one that is designed to process bone and all.

I had talked about it a few winters ago on here but never did end up purchasing one.

7. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

I get 400lbs of raw a month. I don’t watch them grind but the mix is bone in chicken backs and organ meat. For 400lbs I usually add between 20-30lbs of sweet potatoes and 10ths of spinach. No method to the madness- the dogs seem to respond well. I supplement that with purine 1 chicken and rice(kibble). Usually to the time of a 40lb bag a week. Litters change this. My female was so drawn down I couldn’t feed her enough. Also- these are a yard of ABs. My smallest is probably 70lbs.

AGK likes this.
  8. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Yea that's a lot more dog to be feeding. Gonna have to shoot a few deer lol.

A good .22lr and a spotlight. You could have your feed bill to zero lol.

Revelator likes this.
  9. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Seems like a lot to me but I am a cheap bastard. LOL

Most deer hunters hunt horns not meat. Everything after the straps and a shoulder here and there the majority of the deer can be had for free. Ask around with the local hunters. Most will be happy to let you 'clean up for them'.

From there I go chicken backs. I pay between $26-$28 for a 40lb case.

I have fed just about every method over the years and the combination always seems to work best for me.

I tried grinding once or twice but it was more work than I was willing to do on a regular basis. (Not so much the work but the time it consumed)

Seldom if ever have I had any kind of balance either. It is a whatever is in the bucket or whatever ends up being cheapest that week.

Food Lion and WalMart has ten pound packs of leg quarters that go on sale for $0.69 a pound on the regular. I try to scoop up three or four bags when that happens.

Your bill seems high but if it is working for you, that is the best plan.

S

Revelator likes this.