1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Mentor

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Julez, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julez

Julez Big Dog

How does one go about finding a mentor??

2. babedulce

babedulce Big Dog

That is a pretty vague question but I will attempt to give you some orientation so that you may eventually be clear about what you asked.

First off you have to find what it is that you are not only good at but like doing, as in a field of study, an area of concentration, or prefered activity. Then through your associations you make some critical contacts with individuals with more knowledge than you on the area of interest that you have proven to have the potential to excell in and then be patient enough to have someone take an active interest in assisting in your development in this field.

There may be an abundance of would-be mentors who may offer to take you under their wing or there may be none, the thing is to be patient and all the while remain persistent in at least making consitent if slow progress in developing yourself during the time while you are patiently waiting for a mentor, but without anxiety, because that will breed despair, and eventually waylay your aims.

If you encounter a variety of mentors you are lucky and the most important thing from there is to absorb as much as you can while your relationship with these mentors develops into a fullfledged mentorship. The key is for you to always be kind and graceful in accepting advice even if two mentors are offering conflicting suggestions. Lastly in order for you to have a lasting mentorship relationship with someone it is important for you to work with one that is compatible with you in that the means of provididng guidance will be conducive to your personality so that the flow of info is fluid so that you don't find yourslef bumping heads with your mentor over details and you focus on the big picture, although sometimes that works to your advantage because it forces you to take a stance and defend it with the tools you have been learning to master.

Hope this helps.

3. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

the hell u need a mentor for?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  4. Julez

Julez Big Dog

I guess I just need to find more people in my area that has dogs. If Im going to get serious about these dogs, Im going to need someone else to work with, bottom line. there is a lot you cant do by yourself... never mind.. stupid question i guess...

5. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

I smell bacon...lol

6. Julez

Julez Big Dog

Just wtf are you implying??!!

7. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Exactly, I hope people are smart enough to leave this person alone and that the mods will keep an eye on the ip address. Her facebook page looks just as fishy!!!

8. Julez

Julez Big Dog

can you just delete the thread?? I dont need people talking shit on me. It was a dumb question I see.

I came on this forum to try n learn, not be criticized..

9. Julez

Julez Big Dog

Really?? wow... thanks...

10. BBT

BBT Big Dog

Julez where are you located? What do you need a mentor for?
    I'm just curious . Listen to Babedulce and be honest with yourself. The dogs will be true to whatever they are. Just get exactly what you want even that may not be GBAPBT.

I recall reading something like you were on fence about ukc dual reg type or adba show type or adba working type
    Why don't you go to ukc, Arba, adba, and pull events and see what you really want. What you want will lead you to heads
    Good luck

11. babedulce

babedulce Big Dog

what area are you located in? maybe you should start there. to get from a to z you actually have to start by going through b.

12. Julez

Julez Big Dog

yea, it was a stupid question. all in all. Makes me feel like SHIT to get a reaction like that.

I would like to find people in my area. That's all. I had a good friend that really fell off the grid with drugs n whatnot. He had a lot of knowledge with these dogs. Im just now pulling myself out of an addiction, and want to get some dogs n start over. I just dont have any starting points. I dont know ANYBODY. and this area does not have very many ADBA shows. My fiance wants a UKC pit bull. he likes the look. I wouldnt mind having one for confirmation I suppose, but Im still ahving second thoughts on it. just not my idea of a pit bull....

again, Im sorry for ruffling feather. Me n my big mouth...

13. BBT

BBT Big Dog

Whats fishy about it? Let us that don't know , know!

14. Julez

Julez Big Dog

Me personally, I love these dogs. this type of pit bull... i want to FUCKIN LEARN... thats all...

15. Julez

Julez Big Dog

Im located in NW Pa

16. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

If u want to learn go read a book...

17. Julez

Julez Big Dog

:cool: I did, and I read a lot of things on here, and elsewhere on the internet. a lot of you guys had the luxury of growing up with these dogs, and where lucky enough to have people around you to help you. I dont. Everything Ive learned Ive learned from experience, or from reading.. or pestering people kind enough to share their knowledge with me...

I give up... forget I asked... hmfff............. goodnight

18. Actually your area has plenty of shows. The tri-state area is full of good dog people and there's multiple shows there every year.

19. If you don't have any thicker skin than that, you don't need these dogs anyway.

20. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

Ur so right there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.