1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum Outside Temperature for a Open 6'x4' Kennel?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by KashBFD, Dec 11, 2011.

1. KashBFD

KashBFD Pup

Hi, I was looking through this Sub-Forum and did not manage to come across
    any information regarding what temperature is acceptable to keeping your dog
    in a open kennel outside through the winter.
    Its a 6'x4' open kennel with a window. Last winter i brought him inside when it was snowing.

[​IMG]

Thanks very much for your time.
    Kash

2. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

you've got a real, insulated and well-bedded dog-house inside that storage shed,....don't you?

3. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Lol Kinda what I was thinking HighCoast. He needs a doghouse the right size for him not a kids playhouse.

4. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I agree with what was said,while it sure looks fancy for a doghouse,it has no bedding.The dog would be better off with a plastic barrel filled with straw.If you ever wonder how that doghouse will do in the cold,go out and sit in it for a couple hours on a cold day.

5. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

Its way to big for the winter he cant build up heat from his body to warm that kinda space. look threw the search engine on dog houses on the site there use ta be blue prints of a dog house with a chamber those are the best for winter.

6. KashBFD

KashBFD Pup

Alright alright, I asked for the temperature that is suitable to keep the dog outside not a lecture on the kennel or shed. If you cant read then it is not my fault but clearly you can see that the picture wasnt taken recently?

Also he has bedding, plenty of them! The door is boarded off also.. And i am working on making a chamber for him on the inside but thanks for the replys anyway...

P.S Still wanting to know the minimum temp.

7. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

lol the minute you go outside without a coat and say to yourself umm dam its cold out here its probably to cold for the dog to stay the night outside i know of plenty of people who have lost dogs cause they froze during the night and thats why people are commenting on that house. There is no minimum temp its more like common sence look at the dog they aint huskies lol

8. KashBFD

KashBFD Pup

Well I highly appreciate your concern and comments. I think I might just start bringing him in again till this cold blows over for a month an give it a converstion on the inside. :)

9. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Ok! I will give you a answer. For that enclosure 50 degrees would be when i would bring him in.

10. KashBFD

KashBFD Pup

Well havent seen that in a while mate.

11. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

That's because those people arnt smart enough to properly house their dogs or they just don't care. Redrums been outside in below zero temps for the past 2 winters here and is healthy as a horse and toasty warm when I go out to interact with him. Properly insulated double walled dog houses and straw, not hay or cedar chips, is a must in this northern climate. Most of the people around here who's yards I've seen use single board dog houses ( which are crap by the way if you live north of west Virginia) stuffing it with straw and keeping the water fresh rather than letting it freeze over is also extremely important. Using straw which is bedding that is hollow which traps heat rather than hay which is food for livestock not bedding, also makes a big difference in the cold.
    Keeping a dog outside in frigid climates is done all the time by anyone who keeps dogs outside in the north. The difference between living comfortably and freezing to death has to do with the competence of the owners. Basic husbandry isn't everyones strong suit.
    You don't think people like the Balkan boys bring their yard in their homes in their vicious winters do you? I assure you, they don't. Proper housing and the right bedding go a long way.

12. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

ya i said hay just for a quick fix but ya straw my bad and you got nice ass houses thats helps big time and i didnt mean for him to bring em in if he had the right house but that aint it and the dog will freeze in that house lmao, im sure those dudes house and bed their dogs right or they would be losin a bunch of em every year just like sum of the dum dums around here have in the past.

13. AGK

BTW, I would never keep a dog outside in colder climates with the house the op posted YOUR DOG WILL FREEZE TO DEATH IN THAT THING.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is by far the best house I've found for cold weather. Stuff that bitch with straw and you'll be fine.

14. hardluck

hardluck Banned

the less room the dog has in the house to move around the more able it is for the dog to provide its natural body warmth in the house. basically there is too much room in your chicken coop for that dog, it needs to be way smaller like how AGK shows as an example

15. Tiznow

Tiznow Big Dog

There ya go! If you can just bring the dog in when it gets cold, he will be happiest! A dog doesn't HAVE to stay outside if he's good inside and you and he enjoy it.

16. Tiznow

Tiznow Big Dog

yeah, I remember years ago in one of those chat rooms this subject came up; and the fact that many had lost dogs in the cold and heat came up...I was appalled that the attitude of a number of these people was that, "when you raise livestock, you have to expect to lose a few"....I was appalled....and very sad.

17. Tiznow

Tiznow Big Dog

Yes, I've used these; and I read somewhere that you need to have SOME kind of ventilation for them or the humidity will get too high from the dog's breathing. Have you seen them built with some kind of vent? I know most dog houses you buy have some slits in them at the back or on top...

18. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

If all I had was one dog and he would behave in the house,he'd probably come in anytime it got the least be to cold or to hot,the way it is I have way to many dogs to even entertain the notion of bringing dogs in,but with proper housing and good warm ,dry bedding they do fine outside all year.Where I live,on a hot summer day it can get over 100 and on a really,really cold winter day down to 0 degrees,those are the extremes though,usually not that bad,20 to 30 degrees is no big deal for the dogs,that's with proper housing though.I know you were looking for an exact "take the dog in" temperature.With that house,I'd say if you have to wear a heavy coat,then take the dog in.We're really not trying to be dicks,just saying that while it is a fancy house,the larger it is,the less the dog's body heat will stay trapped in there to keep him warm.

19. AGK

Have never had that problem. I don't put anything on the doorways so I would assume that would be why I don't notice a humidity problem. Some people hang material over the doorways but I prefer to just face the enterance doorway opposite of the winds direction.

20. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Seriously,...that's mighty assholier than thou of you. Listen man,.....what you have the dog in is inappropriate. Period. Something that big....even with the door boarded up,.....is what I would put my barrel houses in to help keep the snow and wind off. A dog bed stuck inside something that size is pretty worthless. If you have to ask about minimun temperatures, I'm pretty sure that your gut is telling you that the situation is fucked,...now, no one with a conscience or common sense is going to give you a bullshit round figure on how cold is too cold,...considering we don't know the dog, the temp, how the house is facing, if you're near water, how much sun the play-house gets, what the micro-climate is in the kennel area,..etc. So, since no one is going to give you a number to make you feel all better,.....either step up and fix the situation....or shut the fuck up and stop wasting peoples' time and internet bandwidth. If you put a properly prepared and bedded plastic shipping barrel inside that structure,......your dog should be fine in almost any weather or temperature.