1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Mites

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by JoeFeezy, Jun 15, 2007.

1. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

A friend of mine moved his dogs to a new yard. The yard just had some chickens moved off of it. The dogs have been there for about a month now. Within the last week the dogs have started losing hair and scabbing up. We took them to the vet and he said it was mites from the chickens. He gave us some dip for them, told him to give them penicillin every other day, and to give them ivomec once a week and that would help to clear it up within a months time. I don't wanna see the dogs suffer for the next month does anyone have any tips on how to speed up the process, or to make it easier on the dogs I would really like to know. Thanks.

2. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

The ivomec wil ldo just fine,give it about a week.I've personally never seen it take that long to start working but then again it depends on the severity of the infestation.The ivomec will probably kill the mites pretty quickly,It just migh take awhile for the dogs caots to look normal again.In the meantime you could try some hydrocortisone spray or cream to help with the itching.
    And I dont want to put my foot in my mouth here,but,once a week is kind of strange to me,I've never seen a vet prescribe it like that,but who knows,maybe you could just call around vet clinic's in you area and explain the situation and see what someone else says.If you are concerned ,a second opinion never hurts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  3. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

They are rough. Only about half of the yard picked it up though. Six out of eleven dogs. We noticed the first signs last sunday but couldn't afford to take one to the vet until today. I forget what the dip is called. But we can't get it on our skin or clothes. He told us to put vaseline or bag balm over there eyes when dipping them cause it is harmful to their eyes and our skin. He gave us a gallon of mix and told us to mix one ounce per gallon of water. When he answers the phone i will tell you what its called. But i have one more concern. One of the females have heartworms. I have been told by several people that ivomec will kill a dog with heartworms.

4. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

if the dog has heart worms don't give it ivomec.it can kill a dog stone dead if you don't know how bad the investation is and the amount to give.just use the medicine perscribed for them to the doctors orders and bathe them in oatmeal shampoo to help ease the itching and burning they will feel.mites from chickens are hard to get rid of and this is why it will take longer to get rid of them.

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Dip, or cream? What sort of "mites"?

I'm treating two young pups for early signs of scarcoptic mange, which, is a mite. Demodex, and many other illnesses as well. I'd imagine, the skin scrape showed which type of mite was present, and the vet is treated accordingly, just that you are asking for opinions or general knowledge? Merck Vet Manual will teach you much more than I can, if it's knowledge you seek.

Ivermectin at the higher dose, should yeild fairly quick results. Once you start, if you hit it in the first week of problems, you should be on top of it in no-time. Normally, we see results after the first Ivermectin dose, before the second (two-week intervals).

I do not know what sort of mites chickens carry. Chickens are great for clearing the yard of the majority of ticks, fleas, and insects. I know quite a few people with dogs and birds in co-existance which have never had any "chicken" illnesses transfer to the dogs. "Mites" are present on almost all canines, but very few show symptoms. For whatever reason, your dog became infested with *name mite* to such a level it couldn't contain it naturally and your vet is combatting the issue with AB's to help the immune system for the body to fight naturally, Ivermectin (probably orally) to battle it from the inside out, and the shampoo to ease the dogs strain on the outside (itching, dry skin).

We've never had to run AB's, and have found Ivermectin only works well. The substance you cannot get on your skin, is probably similar to Nu-stock or Nitro-furazone which is why I ask if it's a gel, or a "bath"? Your vet is correct, avoid contact as much as possible with latex gloves, it may be carcinogenic.

Find out the name of the mite, and more specific answers can be given.

ETA- I just read your last post. It's a dip, find out the ingredients. Some vets still prescribe Mitoban, which may be what you have. In which case, it helps kill the (majority) of mites as well. I'd assume you or your friend made the heartworm positive dog known to the vet? Ivermectin is not always lethal in HW+ dogs, but can be if used willy-nilly. In fact, Ivermectin can be used under close observation to treat heartworms, although other forms of avermectin work as well. Only your vet can determine which is the best course of treatment, based on the severity of the worms and dosage of Ivermectin needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007